Broke off needle?

Cattle problems.
User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 568 times

Broke off needle?

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm

How do you get a broke off neddle out of the cow? I had our county extension agent ask me this question today and had no answer. The Tomclovin post got me thinking about this again today. My guess is a pair of tongs to hold the head sorta still and just cut the neddle out?


If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
sstterry
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1326
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 254 times
Been thanked: 163 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by sstterry » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm
How do you get a broke off neddle out of the cow? I had our county extension agent ask me this question today and had no answer. The Tomclovin post got me thinking about this again today. My guess is a pair of tongs to hold the head sorta still and just cut the neddle out?
This had never even occurred to me before, but a quick search educated me that is is a real safety hazard in the beef to the consumer. The only advice I could give would be to use a small metal detector to pinpoint the location of the needle.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kuman-Resistan ... +Detectors

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3246
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by bball » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm

A pair of hemastats is invaluable for this..with a scalpel PRN
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9454
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 185 times
Been thanked: 568 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:24 pm

sstterry wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:07 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:40 pm
How do you get a broke off neddle out of the cow? I had our county extension agent ask me this question today and had no answer. The Tomclovin post got me thinking about this again today. My guess is a pair of tongs to hold the head sorta still and just cut the neddle out?
This had never even occurred to me before, but a quick search educated me that is is a real safety hazard in the beef to the consumer. The only advice I could give would be to use a small metal detector to pinpoint the location of the needle.

https://smile.amazon.com/Kuman-Resistan ... +Detectors
Well there's no way I'm leaving a broke off needle in an animal and sending it on it's way to be slaughtered. There's no way of knowing what was used or by whom. It could be a dope head or someone from another country that wants US dead.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm

bball wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm
A pair of hemastats is invaluable for this..with a scalpel PRN
20 lb magnet worked for me, made a small incision out it came.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4456
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 204 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by wbvs58 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:35 pm

Keep them restrained and shave the hair closely and look for entry point and mark it. Usually the skin has moved over the top so very difficult to locate. Local anaesthetic is neededand skin cut fairly wide to expose the muscle and look for small haemorhage/ haematoma and search from there. Not easy.

Ken

User avatar
bball
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3246
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:43 am
Location: Indiana
Has thanked: 420 times
Been thanked: 142 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by bball » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm
bball wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm
A pair of hemastats is invaluable for this..with a scalpel PRN
20 lb magnet worked for me, made a small incision out it came.
Another great idea CB!
We have had a few break off along the way, but always knew right where it was, so locating was never an issue.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14727
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 597 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Nesikep » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm

I use as thick and short a needle as I can, and I ALWAYS get aluminum mounted needles, not plastic ones on the cows.. for calves where you don't need to fight them I don't mind plastic.. Also, Luer locks on everything. Replace needle if bent, it's probably blunt anyhow... an ounce of prevention!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 588
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia
Has thanked: 327 times
Been thanked: 201 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Redgully » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm
bball wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm
A pair of hemastats is invaluable for this..with a scalpel PRN
20 lb magnet worked for me, made a small incision out it came.
Works well also if you get metal in your eye. Rare earth magnets are worth having around and keep them in a plastic bag so they dont pick up heaps of rubbish to them. When taking plastic off you need to fold it onto itself or the rubbish just zaps onto your magnet.

User avatar
JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4494
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 286 times
Been thanked: 304 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:24 pm

I’ve never thought about this. Never had it happen and hope I don’t. One of the first things I learned back when I started fooling with cows is if a cow jumps or fights I don’t try to stop her and I don’t try to hold on to the syringe tightly. The needle is going where she goes so my hand goes with her as well or I turn loose. I have very little problem with jumping animals and proper equipment to restrain them goes a long way. Hope I never break a needle but I see how it could happen.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

User avatar
Aaron
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4737
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:09 pm
Location: Stratton, ON, Canada
Has thanked: 105 times
Been thanked: 209 times
Contact:

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Aaron » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:29 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:31 pm
bball wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:10 pm
A pair of hemastats is invaluable for this..with a scalpel PRN
20 lb magnet worked for me, made a small incision out it came.
Excellent idea on the magnet.

I always use detectable needles and change often. They are stronger than any other needle types and almost never break. But if they do, and can't be retrieved, the scanner at the plant will find them.
cor durum laborem

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12121
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 58 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Bigfoot » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 pm

I have broken several off in my lifetime. Almost never an easy recovery. I cant remember ever retrieving one from the same hole it went in. I wouldn't have thought a magnet would be much use. Is the magnet strong enough to draw it back out through the hide?
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24180
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 534 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by Caustic Burno » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:28 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:59 pm
I have broken several off in my lifetime. Almost never an easy recovery. I cant remember ever retrieving one from the same hole it went in. I wouldn't have thought a magnet would be much use. Is the magnet strong enough to draw it back out through the hide?
Twenty pound magnet is for picking up twenty pounds that’s a stout son of a gun.
I have made a small incision and pulled it out.
You can get a bigger magnet.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
TCRanch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am
Location: Winfield, KS
Has thanked: 522 times
Been thanked: 245 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by TCRanch » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:30 am

Nesikep wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:48 pm
I use as thick and short a needle as I can, and I ALWAYS get aluminum mounted needles, not plastic ones on the cows.. for calves where you don't need to fight them I don't mind plastic.. Also, Luer locks on everything. Replace needle if bent, it's probably blunt anyhow... an ounce of prevention!
If I'm using the repeater syringe I use 16 x 3/4 but have a hard time finding that size in a disposable needle/syringe. Always luer lock!!

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 707
Joined: Tue May 15, 2012 1:17 pm
Location: South Western Oregon
Has thanked: 244 times
Been thanked: 166 times

Re: Broke off needle?

Post by 76 Bar » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:49 am


Post Reply