Shots

Cattle problems.
Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand

Shots

Post by Tomcolvin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Ok I’m going with what I have on hand as I can’t get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Re: Shots

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 pm
Ok I’m going with what I have on hand as I can’t get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks
Vira Shield 6 + VL5 is a vaccine that covers 6 Fetal Protection Viruses in a killed preparation. In addition, it covers vibro and the 5 Leptospira bacteria in a bacterin. Being a killed preparation for the 6 viruses, it is safe for pregnant cows. You can give all three at one time. Use the dose stated in the directions.

Note: if it does not say HB - it does not cover the Leptospira Hardjo bovis (borgpetersenii) serovar.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 pm

ALWAYS give recommended doses.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.
My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
Diogenes.

sstterry
Rancher
Rancher

Post by sstterry » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Probably why the efficacy rate on other vaccines is not 100%. They never get a chance.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm

sstterry wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:
So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm
sstterry wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm
Bright Raven wrote:

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.
Thus lower rates of actual protection.