Shots

Cattle problems.
Post Reply
Tomcolvin
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 170
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:49 pm
Location: Georgia
Has thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Shots

Post by Tomcolvin » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 pm

Ok I’m going with what I have on hand as I can’t get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8585
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Shots

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:07 pm

Tomcolvin wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:25 pm
Ok I’m going with what I have on hand as I can’t get any thing this week end. I am vaccinating 2 new comer cows with expectant calves in March. I have vita shield 6 + vl5, blackleg vaccine, and a pasturella vaccine. Shoul I give the recommended dosage of all 3 vaccine? Need to know now while they are on the trailer. Thanks
Vira Shield 6 + VL5 is a vaccine that covers 6 Fetal Protection Viruses in a killed preparation. In addition, it covers vibro and the 5 Leptospira bacteria in a bacterin. Being a killed preparation for the 6 viruses, it is safe for pregnant cows. You can give all three at one time. Use the dose stated in the directions.

Note: if it does not say HB - it does not cover the Leptospira Hardjo bovis (borgpetersenii) serovar.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9785
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 29 times
Been thanked: 50 times
Contact:

Re: Shots

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:59 pm

ALWAYS give recommended doses.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Shots

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm

Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8585
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Shots

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.
My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
sstterry
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 889
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:04 am
Location: Bulls Gap, TN
Has thanked: 35 times
Been thanked: 15 times

Re: Shots

Post by sstterry » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.
My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Shots

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:16 pm

Probably why the efficacy rate on other vaccines is not 100%. They never get a chance.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8585
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 116 times
Been thanked: 83 times

Re: Shots

Post by Bright Raven » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm

sstterry wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:03 pm
Our vet recommends the Black leg separate from other shots by a couple of weeks as there are studies she has seen where the blackleg occupies the immume system and the other shots are less effective due to lack of proper immune response. That's all I know but she knows a heap.
My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1339
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 41 times
Been thanked: 87 times

Re: Shots

Post by Ebenezer » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:31 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:23 pm
sstterry wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:11 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:06 pm


My vet has said that also. He says it is rarely convenient but if you can give the Clostridials separately, you probably get a better immune response due to less interference.
So, now we should be running calves through the chute 3 times at weaning if no shots are given before?

The concern with vaccinating for multiple organisms at one time is overwhelming their immune system. For example, using a Clostridial (Blackleg 8 way), a Fetal Protection and pinkeye all at the same time. It becomes even more of a concern if the FP includes vibro and Leptospira (L5).

What I do is vaccinate all upcoming calves with Clostridial as a separate action at 3 months and 5 months (booster) of age.

Then later as the cows in your herd have been through previous vaccinations, there is less of an initial immune response. So not as much concern with overwhelming their immune system.

In everyday practice, most producers do not have the luxury of doing multiple vaccinations.
Thus lower rates of actual protection.

Post Reply