Can't find Ivomec injectable.

Cattle problems.
Rangenerd
Cowhand
Cowhand

Can't find Ivomec injectable.

Post by Rangenerd » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

There is a shortage if ivomec plus, and generic equivalents. I have tried Valley Vet, and Amazon as well as local places. Does anyone have another source I can try. I need to have a wormer that works on fluke, but don't want to use a a drench if I can avoid it.
thanks

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Can't find Ivomec injectable.

Post by JW IN VA » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Checked Jeffers.Don't see it there, either.
Just says currently unavailable for purchase. :?:
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:57 pm

Must be the time of year...folks buying it up, getting ready for spring work.
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't know why,either but while we are on the subject,I'd like to pass along something I read last year.
It seems there is a growing resistance to some of the dewormers we now use and if we're not careful we could wind up like the sheep and goat people.Some of them have gotten to where almost nothing works.
What happened there,I can't say but I think one thing we are very guilty of as a group is misuse of the ones we have.And,I speak as one of those,unfortunately.
We used pour-ons too long and when not necessary not rotating classes of wormers and using the pour=ons for fly control as much as anything.I know it's been just too easy in mid-summer with hay to make and hot weather to want to use something quick and simple which also knocks the horn flies out for a while.Especially since generics have made at least one type as if not more affordable than an insecticide.
I used an injectable for a couple seasons then,last year,bit the bullet and went back to drenching.Kind of tough when you work alone most of the time but I feel it was worth it.I didn't do the fecal counts, but the cattle look better than they have.Maybe I should start to do fecal counts and some years might be able to skip deworming.
I'd like to hear others thoughts on this,as well.
Not everything your neighbors do is wrong-Not everything they do is right,either.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:57 pm

I'm having the same problem with trying to get Sustain III cattle/calf boluses. I even searched some of the manufactures websites & called the vet but came up with nothing. Hope you're more successful than me!

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:25 pm

There is a backlog of the Sustain III calf boluses but I bought some of the cow size the other day. If you want, PM me and I will see if I can get more and the price and send you some. I haven't checked on the Ivomec. We do not routinely worm the cattle unless they look like they need it. We do feed DE in our feed that we get delivered from the mill by the ton. I say it has made a world of difference. Some people say I am crazy. I found that when they put it in the layer feed that I used to get by the ton when I had layers free ranging, that they did not have the worm problems and yes I did do a fecal on them twice. A neighbor used to raise reg Red Poll cattle and he put DE in his mineral and did fecals. I used the same vet at the time and asked him once and he said that the cattle had next to no signs in the fecals so he was convinced. The man who used it, did not use any chemical wormers.
We have used the Ivomec for some of the lice and stuff, there are a few cows that are looking a little "moth-eaten" right now. But we have also used sabre pour-on for that. A good dust powder with DE is our go to. A vet once told me not to get too panicky over the lice, they will fall off as the cattle shed and I have not ever noticed lice on a shed out cow.....

JW IN VA
Rancher
Rancher

Post by JW IN VA » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:55 pm

[quote="farmerjan A vet once told me not to get too panicky over the lice, they will fall off as the cattle shed and I have not ever noticed lice on a shed out cow.....[/quote]
Old saying around here was that the spring wild onions would take them off,too.I "Ulta Sabred" some heavy heifers Saturday.I hate to see them scratching.can't help but think they'd be miserable.Especially after getting into some bird lice once.

jerry27150
GURU
GURU

Post by jerry27150 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:43 pm

guy that used to run the university of Missouri farm claimed they quit worming as most cattle build a resistance to them. cattle that looked wormy in fall were culled. he said why waste money on wormer when only 5-6 cows in the herd could not handle worms. pharo has the same idea. nature always handled these problems forever

Katpau
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Katpau » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:52 pm

I got notice from our local Farmers Cooperative about a month ago telling me that according to their supplier, there was a shortage of the Ivomec product. They bought everything they could get their hands on for their store. They were letting their regular customers know to get what you could now, because they did not know when it would be available in the future. He held onto some for me and when I picked it up a few days later there was no more to be had. I don't remember the details but it had to do with one of the ingredients not being available anymore.

Fire Sweep Ranch
GURU
GURU

Post by Fire Sweep Ranch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:23 am

TCRanch wrote:I'm having the same problem with trying to get Sustain III cattle/calf boluses. I even searched some of the manufactures websites & called the vet but came up with nothing. Hope you're more successful than me!

I called my feed store, thinking they might have it on the shelf (small store). Nope, she said people heard they were no longer making it and came in and bought several tubs of it! She said they opened a new plant, and have not resumed making it, and she was not sure if they were planning on making it again. She suggested this product; https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... k7EALw_wcB

She said it is just as good, and readily available (they had it on their shelf). I hope that helps!
God, family, and Simmental cattle; that's what makes life worth living!

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:01 am

"Cows are supposed to build a resistance to worms by the time they are 4-5 years of age." But, is that ALL types of worms? There are lots of them out there.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:29 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:"Cows are supposed to build a resistance to worms by the time they are 4-5 years of age." But, is that ALL types of worms? There are lots of them out there.

They do to a point.. But I've heard of someone moving their cow to a new place."" Leased"" and they got hit hard with worms there..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:35 am

We do drench & pour-ons to the calves & yearlings. Just pour-on to cow herd 2 x year.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

M-5
GURU
GURU

Post by M-5 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:45 am

I've been using this for several yrs only when needed. I also use drench and safeguard pellets on an as needed basis . Since I quit worming everything twice a year my manure is broken down really fast.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... 0a3748c827
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Fire Sweep Ranch wrote:
TCRanch wrote:I'm having the same problem with trying to get Sustain III cattle/calf boluses. I even searched some of the manufactures websites & called the vet but came up with nothing. Hope you're more successful than me!

I called my feed store, thinking they might have it on the shelf (small store). Nope, she said people heard they were no longer making it and came in and bought several tubs of it! She said they opened a new plant, and have not resumed making it, and she was not sure if they were planning on making it again. She suggested this product; https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.htm ... k7EALw_wcB

She said it is just as good, and readily available (they had it on their shelf). I hope that helps!

Thanks for the tip. I still have some Sustain for cattle but my primary interest was Sustain III for calves. Scouring generally isn't a problem since I started giving them all First Defense but I like to be prepared and the Terramycin is doable but administered every 12 hours. And that's assuming I'm able to catch 'em more than once ;-)