Sulphur Toxicity

Cattle problems.
ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am
Location: East Tennessee
Been thanked: 2 times

Sulphur Toxicity

Post by ClinchValley » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:38 am

Where we live, we rely on well water. As years have gone by, the water has became more and more sulphured.

According to what I have been reading, sulphur has an antagonistic relationship with Copper and Selenium. I am pretty sure we are having a copper deficiency. Some have rough coats with bleached/lightened hair color throughout.

Does anyone have a solution for sulphured water? Use of a filter on the well? I would imagine that it will be a problem until the sulphur can be pulled out. Wouldn't the sulphur prohibit absorption even if Copper were provided at a higher concentration in mineral mix?

Selenium deficiency looks scary as be nice. Hoping it isn't too deficient as of yet.

We recently switched to CO-OP 96613 mineral. Has higher Copper and Selenium levels amongst others. Still, I am thinking it will be passed on through the animal due to the Sulphur.

Anyone had to deal with this?


Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:48 am

Just asking: how do you know it is sulfur in the well? Odor? Test? Not trying to scare you but any chance that the septic system is involved? Other causes? I would ask a good local well driller about it and would not go to the state health folks at first in case there is over-reaction on the side of regulation. I helped a man years ago with a confined hog operation. He had 2 or 3 separate farms. One farm always had sicker and slower growing hogs. Turned out to be natural sulfur in the well water and a new well that picked up water in a better strata solved that issue. But those were unusual aquifer issues. Sulfur will antagonize any sources of CU.

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am
Location: East Tennessee
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by ClinchValley » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:18 am

Our well water is not drinkable. My house has mountain spring water and well water coming in. I only use well water when there isn't enough pressure to wash clothes or shower or wash a car. Because it is impossibly to drink. Stinks terribly. Even though we have a filter. It used to not be that way. Every nearby farm with well water is the same way.

It is bad enough it stinks the house up.

It would only make sense if i cannot drink it that they probably do not need levels that high neither. At least I have been thinking that way. But their coats clearly show something isn't exactly right.

I noticed a neighbor's cattle look the same. And they drink well water as well. The people residing there use the water to cook with only.
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am
Location: East Tennessee
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by ClinchValley » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 am

it is not possible for septic to be involved. They are very far apart.
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

User avatar
kenny thomas
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8815
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Location: SW tip of Virginia
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by kenny thomas » Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:49 pm

I am gonna take a stab at this but please ask your county extension agent about it and have your water tested.
I only live across 2 mountains from you and I have great water. But across the river south of here toward you most of the wells are sulphur. I have been told in the past that what we have is a gas form of sulphur and just the fact of putting the water out in the air will release that. I even seen a design where you would pump the water and spray it onto the roof of a house or barn and the spraying would release the gas and then catch it in a holding tank and use it from there. Again ask your extension agent and they can help you.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

petra hoffman
Beginner
Beginner
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by petra hoffman » Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Ebenezer wrote:Just asking: how do you know it is sulfur in the well? Odor? Test? Not trying to scare you but any chance that the septic system is involved? Other causes? I would ask a good local well driller about it and would not go to the state health folks at first in case there is over-reaction on the side of regulation. I helped a man years ago with a confined hog operation. He had 2 or 3 separate farms. One farm always had sicker and slower growing hogs. Turned out to be natural sulfur in the well water and a new well that picked up water in a better strata solved that issue. But those were unusual aquifer issues. Sulfur will antagonize any sources of CU.


Would you please share evidence based reference regarding sulfur toxicity and its antagonism phenomenon!

Lucky_P
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2977
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 10:17 pm
Location: Western KY
Been thanked: 51 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by Lucky_P » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:34 pm

Clinch,
When I lived in Giles Co. TN, a lot of my clients out in the county had sulfur wells - and there was one on our place that the previous folks used to water livestock.
Several of my clients had built apparatuses kinda like a small AC cooling tower ...pumping water out of the well,sprayer head inside the tower, with baffles, H2S gas dissipated, and water was captured and ran into a cistern or tank of some sort.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1734
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:46 am
Location: Piedmont of SC
Has thanked: 166 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by Ebenezer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:47 pm

petra hoffman wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Just asking: how do you know it is sulfur in the well? Odor? Test? Not trying to scare you but any chance that the septic system is involved? Other causes? I would ask a good local well driller about it and would not go to the state health folks at first in case there is over-reaction on the side of regulation. I helped a man years ago with a confined hog operation. He had 2 or 3 separate farms. One farm always had sicker and slower growing hogs. Turned out to be natural sulfur in the well water and a new well that picked up water in a better strata solved that issue. But those were unusual aquifer issues. Sulfur will antagonize any sources of CU.


Would you please share evidence based reference regarding sulfur toxicity and its antagonism phenomenon!

http://articles.extension.org/pages/66367/excess-sulfur-and-potassium-can-cause-mineral-nutrition-problems-with-dairy-cows

One of many. Just search with "mineral antagonists" and references will pop up like flies. Excess sulfur will also delay the natural immunity of coccidia in lambs so we have to watch about CGPs in the diet. I helped a couple of brothers who had high iron and low pH in a well one time. We built a pond to give it air contact to drop out the iron, dumped lime in the pond, picked up the water on the other side of the pond and that worked good.

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14627
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 529 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by Nesikep » Sun Aug 14, 2016 11:10 pm

ClinchValley, What color cows do you have?

Red cows will show a 'netted' pattern in the hair when they lack copper, Black cows will turn red.. not sure you see much sign on tan or white cows. I found I need at least 2500mg/kg Cu and 100mg/kg Selenium.

If you're on the facebook group Cow talk, there's a file posted there called "A compilation of mineral deficiencies" which I put together, it covers toxicity as well.. been a while since I looked at it, some parts could use expansion I'm sure.
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am
Location: East Tennessee
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by ClinchValley » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Do I need to get a custom mineral mixed to achieve the needed levels of copper and selenium?

Do y'all think extra copper and selenium intake could combat the water issue? Water is provided via Richie water tanks. Shouldn't the sulphur evap from the water as it runs into the tank? Probably not near enough to make any difference is my thinking.
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

ClinchValley
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 633
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:28 am
Location: East Tennessee
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by ClinchValley » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:08 pm

Really appreciate the help too.
Lemme pick your brain. :cowboy:

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14627
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 529 times
Been thanked: 419 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by Nesikep » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:54 pm

the evaporation of sulfur depends on it's form.. H2S gas will evaporate, but mineral forms of sulfur won't.

Perhaps putting a bubbler in the tank would help and not break the bank?

You could probably also get a 'generic' mix and add to it.. Copper sulfate is cheap and would provide a large boost in copper while only increasing sulfur levels a small amount
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29971
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by TexasBred » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:21 pm

ClinchValley wrote:Do I need to get a custom mineral mixed to achieve the needed levels of copper and selenium?

Do y'all think extra copper and selenium intake could combat the water issue? Water is provided via Richie water tanks. Shouldn't the sulphur evap from the water as it runs into the tank? Probably not near enough to make any difference is my thinking.

If it smells like you describe it I'm sure it is probably sulfur but I'd definitely pull a sample and have it tested to at least get an idea of the concentration of the sulfur in the water. A rule of thumb is that levels below 600 parts per million (ppm) is considered good, safe drinking water. Concentrations up to 1,000 ppm begin to move you into marginal water quality. Only a test will tell you if if it simply stinks yet is safe or whether to not use it.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 29971
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 86 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by TexasBred » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm

petra hoffman wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Just asking: how do you know it is sulfur in the well? Odor? Test? Not trying to scare you but any chance that the septic system is involved? Other causes? I would ask a good local well driller about it and would not go to the state health folks at first in case there is over-reaction on the side of regulation. I helped a man years ago with a confined hog operation. He had 2 or 3 separate farms. One farm always had sicker and slower growing hogs. Turned out to be natural sulfur in the well water and a new well that picked up water in a better strata solved that issue. But those were unusual aquifer issues. Sulfur will antagonize any sources of CU.


Would you please share evidence based reference regarding sulfur toxicity and its antagonism phenomenon!

Get that foot out of your mouth.
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 13411
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 537 times
Been thanked: 503 times

Re: Sulphur Toxicity

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:16 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:22 pm
petra hoffman wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:Just asking: how do you know it is sulfur in the well? Odor? Test? Not trying to scare you but any chance that the septic system is involved? Other causes? I would ask a good local well driller about it and would not go to the state health folks at first in case there is over-reaction on the side of regulation. I helped a man years ago with a confined hog operation. He had 2 or 3 separate farms. One farm always had sicker and slower growing hogs. Turned out to be natural sulfur in the well water and a new well that picked up water in a better strata solved that issue. But those were unusual aquifer issues. Sulfur will antagonize any sources of CU.
Would you please share evidence based reference regarding sulfur toxicity and its antagonism phenomenon!
Get that foot out of your mouth.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Post Reply