Hog problems - Now What??

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Hog problems - Now What??

Post by f1tiger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 pm

As brute stated fencing is the only way to keep hogs out . I use 3 strands from the bottom strand to the ground and one strand between four and five . have not had any hog problems in 5 years except if the fence gets knocked down by a tree but then usually the bottom wires are ok : my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:46 pm

f1tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 pm
As brute stated fencing is the only way to keep hogs out . I use 3 strands from the bottom strand to the ground and one strand between four and five . have not had any hog problems in 5 years except if the fence gets knocked down by a tree but then usually the bottom wires are ok : my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work
Haven’t seen that one other than around deer feeders.
Most people here use electric or net wire. I have had pretty good success with electric on pasture that doesn’t have a creek in it. Now those fences are really hot.
My problem is two creeks running through my place.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:06 pm

f1tiger wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:27 pm
That will cost a fortune and be super labor intensive. :shock: What was his thought on that vs a net wire?

They make a 3' wire. Think they call it hog wire or some thing.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

f1tiger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by f1tiger » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:03 pm

.6875 per foot not counting clips and your labor : works as a consultant in New Mexico 14-14 : plenty of time if flounder are not running at bolivar peninsula : I told him hire my fence man Juan Gonzales fence company and let a professional due it right : only problem with the extra wire was I put up gates in the bottom land in case my Brahmans decided to jump the fence and then I would not have to cut the fence to get them home : well the small pigs would turn sideways and slide through the gates, put hog panel on the gate and problem solved

hdrockn
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by hdrockn » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am

my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work

I cut the high tensile field fence in half and use in on the lower half of my pasture fences. It is really discouraging the hogs and the plus is my newborn calves don't venture outside the fence.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:17 am

hdrockn wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:32 am
my son is going to try fencing 130 acres hayfield using 52" cattle panels cut in half , ( he has a good 5 wire fence in place now)I have use hog panels to keep hogs from a feeder : it might work and would save a lot of time and money : has anyone tried this and did it work

I cut the high tensile field fence in half and use in on the lower half of my pasture fences. It is really discouraging the hogs and the plus is my newborn calves don't venture outside the fence.
Many years ago around my area when there were open range stock laws people had their small crop patches fenced with net wire about three foot high and two lines of barb wire above it. When I was a kid I thought that these fields were really large but only comprised about five acres each.