When did you...

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
alisonb
GURU
GURU

When did you...

Post by alisonb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:04 am

When did you join CT and what was you first post about(apart from introducing yourself)? Did you join CT just to enjoy chatting and sharing, to learn more about cattle or did you have a problem with a cow that you needed advice on?

I joined in 2009. Had a Holstein that had developed strange wart like growths on her udder. Had sent samples to vet and he had suggested treatment but it was not working so I started searching the internet. Came across CT, registered and put forward my problem. Folks were most helpful and friendly so I stuck around...I have learned soooo much through the years, thank you CT folks :D

Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Logar
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: When did you...

Post by Logar » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:09 am

Well I started out while living in northern Alberta and we left there around 2004 - so some time before that. Cheers.

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Post by TCRanch » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:59 am

I had to look at my profile but I joined in '15 primarily to learn more about cattle - Health & Nutrition is my most active topic so it reflects my original intention. That said, my post about 2015 Ford F250 Problem had the most traffic. Go figure :)

herofan
GURU
GURU

Post by herofan » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:22 am

I joined in December 2011. My brother and I decided to buy young heifers to raise into a cow/calf deal after not having any cattle on the family farm for about 10 years. My first question was about pneumonia in calves. For a while, I was asking every question in the book. After a while, I discovered most on here were in a different league than me. I only have around 20 cows, and I’m not doing it for a living.

Redgully
GURU
GURU

Post by Redgully » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 am

I joined in 2018, was on for a few weeks and then was wiped of during a system upgrade. Eventually was able to get back on later in the year. But i had been reading on here for many years before that. Decided to finally join when i went from crossbred cattle to pure cattle. Found myself wanting to ask questions about the finer points of cattle breeding. I shy away from social media but found many on here are like minded people, rough around the edges and call a spade a spade but that is how i like it. I'd prefer a bit less moderating but understand it can end up a madhouse without sponsors if things are aloud to run riot. At the end of the day if you want to argue values, politics and religion there are plenty of forums dedicated to those topics.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:16 am

Lurked for awhile ,till I joined in 05....alotta great cattlemen were on then..you could learn more by just Reading their comments back then..
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 am

I "joined" in July 2004. They started making a person register about the first of the year in 2004. I had posted on CT before registration was required. Probably back to 2002. I was skeptical about registering so I just lurked for a little over 6 months.

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:45 am

First post...
1982vett wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:33 pm
Had not given it much thought. Usually put a new roll out when the ring is empty. Put a penci... er calculator to it and came up with about 18 # average per day. They also get rotated into oat/ryegrass/clover pasture for about 20 - 24 hrs. a week. However the amount of hay fed is not as important as is the quality of hay fed.

http://foragesoftexas.tamu.edu/pdf/ForageQuality.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(Appears the 12 year old link doesn’t work)
Dave wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 am
I "joined" in July 2004. They started making a person register about the first of the year in 2004. I had posted on CT before registration was required. Probably back to 2002. I was skeptical about registering so I just lurked for a little over 6 months.
That refreshes my timeline memory a bit. Seems like I found the site sometime before Dad died which would have been Before February 2003. Was staying with him on weekends and had time on my hands on Sunday morn8ngs. Sort of remember needing to register at some point which made navigation more of a chore so lost interest for a while. Took a few years for me to stick my neck out.... :D
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Bigfoot » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:55 am

I joined in 2012. I had some questions about raising bermuda grass. Failed at that attempt, and have tried many different WSG since then. None really set the world on fire for me. I guess I kept posting for the social aspect of it. I really don't know why I stayed so long. I've made a few pretty good friendships here. Made a few business contacts as well that have been welcome. The most interesting thing to me, is to see how things are done in different parts of the country. I've been around long enough now, when a paticular question comes up I know who will answer, and what they will say. Never gets old though.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:54 am

And so you learn other things too...like it's a bad idea to try and relocate a skunk :lol:
alisonb wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 pm
Does anybody perhaps know how to trap these little trouble shooters? I have been staying in my present location for 14yrs and have never come across one of them until a friend gave me a couple of bantams a few months ago. The bantams have been breeding like only they know how and must be a great attraction to the skunk. I have had to shoot 3 skunks so far and feel there must be a better way of dealing with them.If I could trap them I could transport and release them elsewhere. I have attempted catching them in a long rectangular cage where bait is set up in the front,skunk must enter cage, walk to bait and as soon as it touches bait the metal bar that the bait is on sets the back panel off which slams shut behind skunk. But they are so clever, I only catch cats!!
I declared war on skunks shortly after that post. One night the bantams were making a racket so slipped out to check. Opened the chicken coop and discovered about 7 dead... head off or bitten around the neck/head area. Went back inside, got the gat and lay on the couch waiting for it's return. Sure enough, it wasn't too long before I heard the chicken go off. Shone the torch and was just in time to see it slipping through the wire mesh fence(would never have imagined it could get through that size hole). Then my mother let the 2 little dogs out by mistake. They charged after it and grabbed it, one had the head and the other the tail...so I couldn't shoot it cause the terriers would not let go. Won't continue with that part of the story :shock: A sure case of Surplus killing(Hen house syndrome), must have killed about 10 bantams that night. Have you ever had to wash a dog after it's killed a skunk :yuck: :yuck: :lol:
No relocating of skunks...as a few posters advised me.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:02 am

alisonb wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:54 am
And so you learn other things too...like it's a bad idea to try and relocate a skunk :lol:
alisonb wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:22 pm
Does anybody perhaps know how to trap these little trouble shooters? I have been staying in my present location for 14yrs and have never come across one of them until a friend gave me a couple of bantams a few months ago. The bantams have been breeding like only they know how and must be a great attraction to the skunk. I have had to shoot 3 skunks so far and feel there must be a better way of dealing with them.If I could trap them I could transport and release them elsewhere. I have attempted catching them in a long rectangular cage where bait is set up in the front,skunk must enter cage, walk to bait and as soon as it touches bait the metal bar that the bait is on sets the back panel off which slams shut behind skunk. But they are so clever, I only catch cats!!
I declared war on skunks shortly after that post. One night the bantams were making a racket so slipped out to check. Opened the chicken coop and discovered about 7 dead... head off or bitten around the neck/head area. Went back inside, got the gat and lay on the couch waiting for it's return. Sure enough, it wasn't too long before I heard the chicken go off. Shone the torch and was just in time to see it slipping through the wire mesh fence(would never have imagined it could get through that size hole). Then my mother let the 2 little dogs out by mistake. They charged after it and grabbed it, one had the head and the other the tail...so I couldn't shoot it cause the terriers would not let go. Won't continue with that part of the story :shock: A sure case of Surplus killing(Hen house syndrome), must have killed about 10 bantams that night. Have you ever had to wash a dog after it's killed a skunk :yuck: :yuck: :lol:
No relocating of skunks...as a few posters advised me.

Sixteen years ago.
Febreze Works well on stinky terriers.
I have one that throughly enjoys dispatching skunk.
I run sale-barn cattle.

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:34 am

I came in 2015 to avenge the assassination of Fenceman
Support your local hardworking white boy.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

haase
GURU
GURU

Post by haase » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:41 am

Joined in 06, first post was about Limousine cattle, that got a little rough.

crossbredcalves
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by crossbredcalves » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:54 am

I joined in 2009 because I wanted to talk about cows.
“Words are life.” The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:59 am

I think the first time I posted on CT was around 2012. I mainly used to post on a forum called backyardherds and then I started to get into some actual issues with my cattle and searched out some better online help. I think this is my 3rd account. I left in previous years because the drama, I just tried looking up my old usernames and I've either forgotten it or its been deleted. But here I am :) Older and wiser now. Still got the same issues with my cows tho!