Retirement

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Re: Retirement

Post by hurleyjd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:27 am

I bet this young family had dreams of a better life and no worries. You think they are thinking of retirement or just getting by each day.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/national ... ket-newtab

What if Martin Luther King jr's dream had come true.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:40 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:27 am
I bet this young family had dreams of a better life and no worries. You think they are thinking of retirement or just getting by each day.
You need to move to a country you might like.
Kenya?
I run sale-barn cattle.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm

Caustic Burno wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:40 am
hurleyjd wrote:
Kenya?
They have a 305 acre dairy farm and no food? Raise a huge garden. Can fruit and vegetables. She complains about the price of cheese? Make your own. It isn't that hard. It is not even thinking outside the box. It is what people have been doing for years.

bird dog
GURU
GURU

Post by bird dog » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:40 pm

Its just a trash piece from the Washington Post to bash Trump. Notice how quick they were to blame him. No mention of the the unfair milk subsidies that the Canadian government give to protect their dairy industry and how Trump is trying to change it.
The always factual Google says this when you ask how much do Canadian dairy farmers make.

"Today, dairy farmers make up just six per cent of all Canadian farmers. The average dairy producer's net worth is nearly $5 million, and in 2016, the average producer earned an income of about $160,000, even after operating expenses had been paid, according to the most recent numbers available from Statistics Canada.Oct 4, 2018"

Its embarrassing how bad our newspaper industry has become.

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:29 pm

bird dog wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:40 pm
Its just a trash piece from the Washington Post to bash Trump. Notice how quick they were to blame him. No mention of the the unfair milk subsidies that the Canadian government give to protect their dairy industry and how Trump is trying to change it.
The always factual Google says this when you ask how much do Canadian dairy farmers make.

"Today, dairy farmers make up just six per cent of all Canadian farmers. The average dairy producer's net worth is nearly $5 million, and in 2016, the average producer earned an income of about $160,000, even after operating expenses had been paid, according to the most recent numbers available from Statistics Canada.Oct 4, 2018"

That article is absolutely anti trump propaganda. But who is the dairy subsides not fair to? Would you ever be in support of a price floor being set for dairy? How about beef?

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:08 pm

bird dog wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:41 am
The presidential race will determine what happens in the second half of 2020. If Trump looks like he is going to lose, you might want to take any profits you have.
I am thinking about going all cash pretty quick. This stock market bubble will bust pretty soon. Cds can be had that pay 2.25%.
What will thirty year treasury bonds rate have to be to get people interested in them. Long term Treasury bonds will have to have a good rate to get people interested in them.
Might even move to Kenya to get away from Caustic. Caustic says it would be a great place for me.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:13 pm

Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:
hurleyjd wrote:
Kenya?
They have a 305 acre dairy farm and no food? Raise a huge garden. Can fruit and vegetables. She complains about the price of cheese? Make your own. It isn't that hard. It is not even thinking outside the box. It is what people have been doing for years.
I knew when I posted this it would bring out all of the Tumpers. This woman should not fuss Trump gave Them $4500 dollars of the money he paid out to farmers to keep them going because of the trade war. She only spends $175 a month then this $4500 would keep them going for 25 months.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm

bird dog wrote:

The return on investment is 3.2%. They would have done better playing the stock market. How many family man hours was done to make that $160,000.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:09 am

hurleyjd wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:20 pm
bird dog wrote:

The return on investment is 3.2%. They would have done better playing the stock market. How many family man hours was done to make that $160,000.
On the job I worked with a lot of dairies. I ended up going to some workshops up in Canada. That net worth is in the value of their milk quota. I think most of that quota is inherited. The average 160 cow dairy had 4 or 5 employees and a line of new equipment. The average American 160 cow dairy has maybe one employee and a couple old well used tractors.
I was on one farm that had a real neat setup for raising calves. This would have been in the 90's. I got to talking to the owner. He said his quota allowed him to ship 12,000 pounds a day. He got something like $24 a hundred for all the milk up to that 12,000 pounds. Anything over that he got $4 a hundred. He made sure that he shipped exactly that entire 12,000 pounds. The extra got fed to the calves. When milk production varied up or down so did the calves diet.

hurleyjd
GURU
GURU

Post by hurleyjd » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am

Been few years since I had a Dairy. But the best I can remember there was a marketing order for zones set up to make sure there was enough milk produced for the area. The milk was priced on classes as to how it was used with the fluid milk used for drinking was the highest price a bonus for a high butter fat content. And then you had classes of milk that brought a lower price that was manufactured into cheese and milk powder. Here is the USDA website for the southeast marketing order with prices for each month for the classes of milk.
http://www.dallasma.com/order_prices/cl ... ?cat=3and4

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:43 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:43 am
Been few years since I had a Dairy. But the best I can remember there was a marketing order for zones set up to make sure there was enough milk produced for the area. The milk was priced on classes as to how it was used with the fluid milk used for drinking was the highest price a bonus for a high butter fat content. And then you had classes of milk that brought a lower price that was manufactured into cheese and milk powder. Here is the USDA website for the southeast marketing order with prices for each month for the classes of milk.
http://www.dallasma.com/order_prices/cl ... ?cat=3and4
I still don't understand why American farmers have a hard on for the dairy system in Canada. I don't understand why Trump wants to disrupt it so bad either. I have tried reading about how Fairlife is doing in Canada since Trump pushed it in but I cant seem to see any real data. Are the efforts to push American dairy in Canada and other parts of the world working?

On another interesting note about the steel trade. My step father owns a steel company in Canada. What trump did actually benefits us. It has made it impossible for Canadians to buy American steel. Or too pricey. Which is great for us because those customers we lost to the cheaper steel you can get in the US had to come crawling back.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:51 pm

bird dog wrote:

Your dairy surplus is greater than all of Canada's dairy production combined, nevermind the fact that Canadian producers get more for their milk.. Canadian trade has NOTHING to do with low US milk prices
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:53 pm

hurleyjd wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:13 pm
Dave wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 12:40 pm
Caustic Burno wrote:

Kenya?
I knew when I posted this it would bring out all of the Tumpers. This woman should not fuss Trump gave Them $4500 dollars of the money he paid out to farmers to keep them going because of the trade war. She only spends $175 a month then this $4500 would keep them going for 25 months.
$4500 given to them (per year I guess?) doesn't make up for a $4K a month loss of income on the farm
-Christopher Hitchens

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:03 pm

Perhaps if fast food chains didn't charge $1 for a slice of kraft singles on a lousy burger that would help (though how much milk is in there is debateable
https://psmag.com/economics/what-will-t ... -of-cheese

https://www.livekindly.co/u-s-dairy-far ... ket-shift/
in 2016, 43 million gallons of milk were discarded in the US

Rather than fixing your system, you'd rather break everyone else's by the sounds of it
-Christopher Hitchens

cowgal604
Rancher
Rancher

Post by cowgal604 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:38 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:03 pm
Perhaps if fast food chains didn't charge $1 for a slice of kraft singles on a lousy burger that would help (though how much milk is in there is debateable
https://psmag.com/economics/what-will-t ... -of-cheese

https://www.livekindly.co/u-s-dairy-far ... ket-shift/
in 2016, 43 million gallons of milk were discarded in the US

Rather than fixing your system, you'd rather break everyone else's by the sounds of it
I see it the same. Seems the only people with an ssue with the Canadian dairy system are non Canadians.