Thanksgiving Meal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Re: Thanksgiving Meal

Postby Son of Butch » Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:44 pm

NEFarmwife wrote: REAL Cranberry sauce

Seems like I'm the only one in our extended family that likes Cranberry Sauce, so that got cut from the menu years ago. :cry2:
0 x

tater74
Rancher
Rancher

Postby tater74 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:54 pm

Our turkey looks alot like a medium rare ribeye with shrimp on the side.
0 x
Nobody gets something for nothing unless somebody got nothing for something

"the cows are where your at,the bull is the direction your going...." ALACOWMAN

zirlottkim
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby zirlottkim » Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:13 pm

callmefence wrote:My wife cooks a amazing turkey. Usually two big ones. Also the stuffing with fresh gulf oyster's is a family tradition.

Bet most people on here has never had that pleasure. My grandmother made some fine oyster dressing. I looked forward to that growing up. She died about 15 years ago when my oldest daughter was 2 years old. No one in the family learned her recipe. Lucky for me, my daughter has took up the cause and been experimenting with oyster dressing . She has got it pretty close to my grandmothers. But If you want oysters this year, better buy early. A shortage has pushed price up to $100 to $120 per gallon.
0 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:51 pm

zirlottkim wrote:
callmefence wrote:My wife cooks a amazing turkey. Usually two big ones. Also the stuffing with fresh gulf oyster's is a family tradition.

Bet most people on here has never had that pleasure. My grandmother made some fine oyster dressing. I looked forward to that growing up. She died about 15 years ago when my oldest daughter was 2 years old. No one in the family learned her recipe. Lucky for me, my daughter has took up the cause and been experimenting with oyster dressing . She has got it pretty close to my grandmothers. But If you want oysters this year, better buy early. A shortage has pushed price up to $100 to $120 per gallon.

My grandmother and mother always made what they called scalloped oysters, probably similar to what y'all are calling oyster dressing or stuffing. I got some oysters at the grocery tonight, like last year they were from the Pacific coast, labeled as from Washington State. I fear that when my mother is no longer able to fix them I may have to try if I want them, my wife said tonight, that she will try fixing a lot of things but she has a strong aversion to oysters.
0 x

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:41 am

Smoked turkey and the usual sides but my favorite is my modified version of my late grandmother's cranberry salad (cook whole cranberries in a little water until softened; cool; put in a bowl and gently stir in in chopped walnuts, granny smith apples, and clementines/oranges; put in pan and cool in fridge. OH, I forgot the sweetener! I use splenda or stevia (gotta save calories for the stuffing and pie)
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:44 am

I’m pretty basic. l like turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing and a homemade roll. l don’t care for pie, so l might make cookies.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:38 am

Ky hills wrote:
zirlottkim wrote:

My grandmother and mother always made what they called scalloped oysters, probably similar to what y'all are calling oyster dressing or stuffing. I got some oysters at the grocery tonight, like last year they were from the Pacific coast, labeled as from Washington State. I fear that when my mother is no longer able to fix them I may have to try if I want them, my wife said tonight, that she will try fixing a lot of things but she has a strong aversion to oysters.

I was going to say if Oyster are $100 a gallon my friends down on the Willapa Bay must be jumping for joy.

Going to the DIL in Winnemucca for Thanksgiving. Sounds like out turkey is going to be ham. Personally as long as there is plenty of pumpkin pie I don't care what else there is.
0 x

NEFarmwife
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby NEFarmwife » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:21 am

Son of Butch wrote:
NEFarmwife wrote: REAL Cranberry sauce

Seems like I'm the only one in our extended family that likes Cranberry Sauce, so that got cut from the menu years ago. :cry2:

I cannot stand the canned stuff but do love real sauce. I can't get the rest of my family to eat it either but more for me. :nod:
0 x

ropinranger
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby ropinranger » Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:44 am

my dad loves the canned stuff, but no one else does....lol
0 x

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Postby Son of Butch » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:24 pm

I tried to restart cranberry tradition, I bought the cheapest can and put it a bowl to serve making sure it retained
the 'can' shape as though it was a jello mold.
Nobody saw the humor in doing that, so only did it twice. :(
1 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I can sit down and eat an entire can of cranberry sauce in one sitting. But I pretty much like anything cranberry.
0 x

cowboy43
GURU
GURU

Postby cowboy43 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:13 pm

Oven baked Tofu turkey ,celery stalks for the drum stick. :hide:
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:06 pm

greybeard wrote:I really don't know.

I've been in Little Rock now for a week and most likely will be putting my twin brother into hospice care in the next 24 hrs. It's been a long fight, and he's tired, really tired.

Sorry to hear about that GB. You and your family are in my thoughts.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:09 pm

cowboy43 wrote:Oven baked Tofu turkey ,celery stalks for the drum stick. :hide:

The only way I can eat tofu, is in hot and sour soup...looks like dirty dish water but I love the stuff...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:10 pm

cowboy43 wrote:Oven baked Tofu turkey ,celery stalks for the drum stick. :hide:

:yuck: That kind of talk will get you banned. :D
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

Return to “Coffee Shop”