Discipling someone else's child

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Discipling someone else's child

Postby greybeard » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:48 am

True Grit Farms wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:I'd probably just stand or sit her against the barn wall if it was mine. Don't forget the positive rewards. Also if you're just walking around have you thought of just holding her hand while you're walking?

My ears are still stretched out from my granny and mom dragging - walking me out of somewhere I miss behaved.

Yep...one hand grabbed hold an ear and the other making that willow limb sing.
"I'll get your good eye boy!" is what my granny threatened me with and made me believe it too.
1 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:24 am

Jogeephus wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:
Craig Miller wrote:I'd probably just stand or sit her against the barn wall if it was mine. Don't forget the positive rewards. Also if you're just walking around have you thought of just holding her hand while you're walking?

My ears are still stretched out from my granny and mom dragging - walking me out of somewhere I miss behaved.

Same here but this is someone else's child who it sounds like doesn't believe in spanking. Laying a hand on this child could bring the wrath of a woman and that is never a good thing.

This reminds me of my next door neighbor when I was a child. His parents read that Dr. Spock book about rationalizing with a child and whenever we got into mischief we all would get whippings and his parents would sit him down and discuss things. We didn't like this one bit because often he was the reason we got our azzes whipped. One day we were giving him grief about this and he told us his parents didn't spank him because he enjoyed it. We called BS on this and to prove this he challenged us to whip him. Next thing led to him hanging upside down on a tree limb and and we commenced to whipping his bare azz with switches. He actually hung on longer than we expected but ended up running home crying to his mother. Shortly thereafter we all had our butts beat and we were comparing azz cheeks to see whose azz was the blackest.

As time went on he ended up getting into a lot of trouble with drugs and other things so it seems like that Dr. Spock didn't know shyt about the benefit of having your azz blackened as a child because all the other kids turned out alright.

I've probably told this story here before, but when our son was very small my wife had gone to lunch with a casual acquaintance who had a similarly aged child. When I got home she was telling me about it. She said our son sat in his high chair, ate his lunch, and minded his own business while the other child was constantly misbehaving. The other mother said something like "Why don't you be nice like Will?" Apparently that wasn't especially effective. Anyway, my wife also said that at some point while they were talking this lady said "We don't like to tell our child no. We figure he'll hear that often enough when he gets older." My wife lost touch with her shortly after this, but I often wonder how that policy worked out for her. Not well, I suspect.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:44 am

greybeard wrote:
True Grit Farms wrote:

Yep...one hand grabbed hold an ear and the other making that willow limb sing.
"I'll get your good eye boy!" is what my granny threatened me with and made me believe it too.

Worst part was if Ma(grandma) had to get on any of us kids, as bad as that was it was mild compared to dads.
Lord help us if we misbehaved at someone else’s house.

GB mine would pull a plum limb from the yard broom.
Kids today don’t have a clue about that evil device.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:46 pm

When my brother and I were real young, we helped Dad plant a row of Maple trees behind the house. Little did we know the consequences. :shock:
Mom would go out and break off a switch and beat us. Mostly for feuding....
Dad almost never whipped us.
All three of us turned out fine, have good kids and not a mass murderer or felon among us.
0 x

OwnedByTheCow
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby OwnedByTheCow » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:10 pm

Well today she came over and acted up again. Luckily her mother was there this time to actually see what I have to go through every time she comes and she took her home early. I am positive that things will change now that she was able to view her behavior.
2 x
An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.
Ghandi

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:33 pm

Good deal
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:00 am

Its a good thing when a situation that's someone else's problem stays someone else's problem!
1 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:08 am

The good part is, mamma saw little miss perfect wasn't so perfect. That takes the pressure off of you to some degree.
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:42 am

OwnedByTheCow wrote:Well today she came over and acted up again. Luckily her mother was there this time to actually see what I have to go through every time she comes and she took her home early. I am positive that things will change now that she was able to view her behavior.

Nothing will change unless somebody changes it.
Next time she is coming over might be good to have a talk with her mother along the line of, "You see how she acts, what do you think I should do about it?"
1 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:31 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:Its a good thing when a situation that's someone else's problem stays someone else's problem!

:clap: That needs to go in the CT quote book.
1 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:33 pm

You will still have to stand your ground. Just because she behaves for momma does not mean she will behave for you. Now it just may be easier to have a conversation with her mom.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

Return to “Coffee Shop”