Horses or ATV's

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Horses or ATV's

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:26 am

I can't stand when people try to push cattle with an atv. I'm not against encouraging them to go one way or another but they ain't no cuttin horse.

One of my favorite pics. Rotating pastures on the Mule with the herd in tow.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:04 am

Bucket of feed and a good pen
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

hillbilly beef man
GURU
GURU

Postby hillbilly beef man » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:08 am

customcattle wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.

I get how that would work in a small pasture, but gathering a section or two that way wouldn't work at all. Growing up day working for the neighbor my brother and I would gather a 10,000 + acre pasture by ourselves and then drive them a couple or three miles. No way to do that with a bucket of feed.

Like I said before though, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, and everybody's situation is different.

What's your stocking rate on that 10,000 acre pasture? That would be 5,000 pairs here, just wondering how many head we are talking about two people working.
0 x
Teaching a child to work and manage money will take them futher in life than any education that they could ever receive.

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:22 am

hillbilly beef man wrote:
customcattle wrote:
Jogeephus wrote:Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.

I get how that would work in a small pasture, but gathering a section or two that way wouldn't work at all. Growing up day working for the neighbor my brother and I would gather a 10,000 + acre pasture by ourselves and then drive them a couple or three miles. No way to do that with a bucket of feed.

Like I said before though, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, and everybody's situation is different.

What's your stocking rate on that 10,000 acre pasture? That would be 5,000 pairs here, just wondering how many head we are talking about two people working.

The stocking rate is about 40 acres per cow. We were in high mountain desert country. It was usually between 250-300 head depending on the year.
1 x

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:28 am

Brute 23 wrote:I can't stand when people try to push cattle with an atv. I'm not against encouraging them to go one way or another but they ain't no cuttin horse.

I tend to agree with you. I have been in some pastures in big country where a couple guys on atv's skirting hill tops and pushing them to ya horse back wound up saving a lot of horses. I don't mind being horseback all day, but on those big gathers it was always relieving to see a couple four wheelers at the beginning of the day. I knew I wasn't going to have to ride near as many miles. On a drive however, I'm not a fan. Seems like they are always buzzing around and either spooking a colt or pushing on cattle too hard unmothering calves. That and listening to the engine rev all day is annoying too.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:00 pm

I’ve used both and they both serve their purpose. A horse is a lot better in a muddy oat field. If I am at my house just put a sack on the back of the 4wheeler and they follow. If they won’t follow I can push with a horse or an ATV. ATV is faster and won’t get tired but if you have a goofy one a bull whip on that horse really talks to that cow.
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

midTN_Brangusman
Rancher
Rancher

Postby midTN_Brangusman » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:05 pm

My wife drives the utv with feed in the back and I push the stragglers from behind on horseback. Works really well if you have a wild one to give her something to follow.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:13 pm

On both the ranches I've been on in Colorado and Montana I'd choose a horse over an ATV if I were working cattle. Especially on the high plains of Colorado. That is some bumpy riding on an ATV.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

cowgirl8
GURU
GURU

Postby cowgirl8 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:41 pm

When our kids were young we used horses. It was just easier and we had a ton of bomb proof horses and everyone had tack. Now that the kids are gone, we just get them up with atvs....Basically, the cows know my 4wheeler and i'm the one who moves them from pasture to pasture.. I just time it where they are going in the right direction when we plan to work them. Leave them in one pasture away from the corrals just a tad longer than they like, and I get a stampede to the corral when I open the gate... I do not like getting cows out of sequence, just never works and we struggle to turn them... say, I have pasture A, B, and C... corral is in A, but I just moved them out of A to B. They will want to go to C, and not back to A.... ugh...hate when we get the cows up when I haven't timed it right...
0 x
For those who understand, need no explanation, ....for those who don't, none will do

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:22 pm

Neither for me.. Though most of the time they just come when called, a dirt bike is MUCH more nimble than an ATV, accelerates twice as fast, and can follow the cow trails without a problem.

My cows know my bike.. when it's putt putting along, they know they're doing what I want them to.. When I have that bloody idiot that has to zig instead of zag and dodge the gate every other cow went through.. the bike revs up they know I'm pizzed
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:53 pm

customcattle wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:I can't stand when people try to push cattle with an atv. I'm not against encouraging them to go one way or another but they ain't no cuttin horse.

I tend to agree with you. I have been in some pastures in big country where a couple guys on atv's skirting hill tops and pushing them to ya horse back wound up saving a lot of horses. I don't mind being horseback all day, but on those big gathers it was always relieving to see a couple four wheelers at the beginning of the day. I knew I wasn't going to have to ride near as many miles. On a drive however, I'm not a fan. Seems like they are always buzzing around and either spooking a colt or pushing on cattle too hard unmothering calves. That and listening to the engine rev all day is annoying too.

You are right. If they know what they are doing and can admit defeat it's handy to have a couple on atvs.

We have some rotten country a long the coast here. Believe it or not the atvs can skip across easier than a horse, some times. They will take a feed truck with a siren thru first and call as many cattle in to the traps as possible. Then they send the chopper with a couple atvs and keep the stragglers moving. Lastly, they will decide what they need to get out with horses and dogs.

Those guys don't feed any hay. It's all liquid feed and feed. Depending on the time of year you can call the majority of cattle off of several thousand acres with a good siren and feed truck if they know what it is.
0 x

Boot Jack Bulls
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Boot Jack Bulls » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:47 pm

We mostly work our stock on foot with dogs, but I prefer that they be used to being worked on horse back and followed by/ following a truck or tractor too. Given that the circumstances could change on any given day, I like having options when it comes to moving the cattle around. And sometimes, I just want a good reason to saddle my horse and dance with some cows!!! :cboy:
0 x
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:14 pm

customcattle wrote:
hillbilly beef man wrote:
customcattle wrote:

The stocking rate is about 40 acres per cow. We were in high mountain desert country. It was usually between 250-300 head depending on the year.

Must be pretty lush high desert. Where we were it was a pair per 300 acres.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:31 pm

When you get my age if the UTV and a bucket of cubes don't work you wait until tomorrow and try it again. Anything but get on a horse.
1 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:35 pm

TexasBred wrote:When you get my age if the UTV and a bucket of cubes don't work you wait until tomorrow and try it again. Anything but get on a horse.

I agree. It isn't just an age thing.
0 x

Return to “Coffee Shop”