Horses or ATV's

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Horses or ATV's

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:40 pm

I'm curious as to where you all stand on the discussion of using atv's or horses when gathering/trailer/pushing cattle. I really don't think there is a right blanket answer. It really more depends on what you're comfortable with, your skill set, and what's available to you.

In my opinion, horses are the way to go for me. I find that I am more apt to take my time and be in the right position horseback vs a four wheeler. I find that I'm always in a hurry and trying to get the cows to step out just a little more all the time when on an atv. On a horse I rely a whole lot more on my positioning rather than just pushing on them all the time. A horse is also more agile if ya have one trying to turn back or get by ya.

Again, just wondering.
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Horses or ATV's

Postby Jogeephus » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:42 pm

Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.
2 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Postby kenny thomas » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:44 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.

Me 2
0 x
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

Some people know people, who know people, who aren't very nice people and you could get a visit from them someday. So be good people.

NolanCountyAG
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby NolanCountyAG » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 pm

Both. Even though I could probably have my cows follow me through be nice with my feed wagon lol
0 x

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:59 pm

For the most part I'm going to say the ATV. Mostly for convenience. It's always ready to go. I can put in the cattle trailer or on the back of the flatbed. A sack of cake on the back and most will follow you. Those that won't you can run em down and while you can't outmaneuver one . It seems once you run one into the ground they get respect for a ATV just like they will a horse.
With all that said. For the absolute worst one's. Horses and dogs can be the only way in a brush pasture. I won't even fool with those. My son can catch one on horseback and bring it back at a trot on slack rope. Those go in the trailer and straight to town. He gets half.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

customcattle
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby customcattle » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Jogeephus wrote:Neither. Bucket of feed and a good pen with plenty of gates works fine for me.

I get how that would work in a small pasture, but gathering a section or two that way wouldn't work at all. Growing up day working for the neighbor my brother and I would gather a 10,000 + acre pasture by ourselves and then drive them a couple or three miles. No way to do that with a bucket of feed.

Like I said before though, I don't think there is a right or wrong way, and everybody's situation is different.
0 x

Farm Fence Solutions
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:14 pm

Horses.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:18 pm

kenny thomas wrote:

Me 2

Me 3 bag of cubes
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:51 pm

On the 4 wheeler I don't have to worry about it picking up on bad habits..some times the cow has different ideas that you don't have the time to teach the horse about.. Otherwise I like using both.. The horse when I'm not pushed for the time....
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:16 pm

As you said it depends. The last couple of days I have been helping a friend build a corral. That property is several thousand acres that he has 140 pairs on. Some of the ground is wide open grass land. A quad would work great on that part. There is a canyon running through it that there is no way you drive a quad into let alone use it to drive cows out.

I have used both. They both have there time and place. I think horses are more enjoyable and versatile. A horse can be used every where a quad will work and places a quad won't. But I haven't driven my quad for a couple weeks and I haven't had to feed it. One thing for sure either one will kill you if you don't pay attention.
0 x

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Postby Brute 23 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:31 pm

I don't think it's really one or the other.... They serve two totally different purposes IMO. It's like comparing a hammer and a crescent wrench. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench but it's best done with a hammer. You can loosen a nut with a hammer but it's best done with a crescent wrench.
0 x
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:09 am

Brute 23 wrote:I don't think it's really one or the other.... They serve two totally different purposes IMO. It's like comparing a hammer and a crescent wrench. You can drive a nail with a crescent wrench but it's best done with a hammer. You can loosen a nut with a hammer but it's best done with a crescent wrench.

Bingo, correct answer! Around here a bucket of feed and a UTV to haul them works great. In larger areas, western ranges I'm familiar with a horse is the only way to go. If I was driving cattle long distances, even around here a horse would be superior. Kind of depends on the terrain and what you are doing. Small holdings in this area an ATV works fine. But if it involved woods/timber work a horse would be tops.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

TCRanch
GURU
GURU

Postby TCRanch » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:36 am

0 x

herofan
GURU
GURU

Postby herofan » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:37 am

Same here.
0 x

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 am

When using ATV's, don't you have to "train" the cattle to it? I use feed, myself, but I have an ATV as well that I've thought about using. I'd prefer to use a horse, but it's not in the cards.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

Return to “Coffee Shop”