Its not Anecdotal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Its not Anecdotal

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:53 am

dun wrote: He said a couple of hours later when he woke up he LOVED everybody. And was calling people he hadn't talked to in years. Decided then and there never again.

Sounds like it knocked the doctor right out of him,,and made him almost human like...
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:35 am

Ky hills wrote:The drug problems are definitely reaching dire circumstances. I have known several who have died young, and many who have made a mess of their lives due to drugs or alcohol. I think in a lot of cases society ( some tv shows, movies, music, ) seems to glorify or maybe even promote use of alcohol or drugs. I have heard several folks argue the point for legalizing marijuana but I am concerned that it is a door opener to harder drugs. I have a close friend who has really struggled with addictions, and has been clean for a while now. He is a good, hardworking talented man, hopeful that he will continue to stay clean.

Could it be possible that marijuana wouldn't open the doors to harder drugs if people didn't have to go to the drug dealers door to get it.?
2 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:13 am

shaz wrote:
Dave wrote:That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.

One of those dangerous jobs wouldn't be ranching would it?

Logging and commercial fishing are always #1 and 2 with death rates around 90 to 100 per 100,000. Below that they bounce around a bit depending on who has had a bad year. I have seen years when farming was as high as #4 with a death rate of about 45 per 100,000.

Legalizing pot? The pot shop for this town and the eastern 2/3 of this county is basically at the end of our driveway. It is interesting to see who pulls in there. I haven't lived here long enough to actually know any of the people. But the majority look like average people driving nicer vehicles. There are some who look like druggies but they are a minority. Every once in a while someone misses the pot shop and comes down the driveway. Most realize their mistake and turn around quickly. There have been a few who are really stoned who need direction.
0 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:18 am

few painkillers do anything for any pain I have.. muscle relaxants for my back really don't do much, tylenol, advil, etc are totally useless.. Tylenol 3 marginally works, Demerol a little as well.. I have an assortment of options but they aren't worth their price tags!
Pot has never done anything for me either.. at least not enjoyable.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Supa Dexta
GURU
GURU

Postby Supa Dexta » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:11 am

I've been known to mingle from the gutters to the fractions of the 1% - I can tell you there are people from all walks of life using pot - And some would really surprise you. On the whole though, pot smokers are easier to deal with than drunks and I have no problem whatsoever with it, even if I don't partake.
1 x

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Postby Ky hills » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:52 pm

callmefence wrote:
Ky hills wrote:The drug problems are definitely reaching dire circumstances. I have known several who have died young, and many who have made a mess of their lives due to drugs or alcohol. I think in a lot of cases society ( some tv shows, movies, music, ) seems to glorify or maybe even promote use of alcohol or drugs. I have heard several folks argue the point for legalizing marijuana but I am concerned that it is a door opener to harder drugs. I have a close friend who has really struggled with addictions, and has been clean for a while now. He is a good, hardworking talented man, hopeful that he will continue to stay clean.

Could it be possible that marijuana wouldn't open the doors to harder drugs if people didn't have to go to the drug dealers door to get it.?

Fence, I have friends and relatives that share your views on that, and I can understand the logic behind it. I think you are saying that where one illegal activity or product is there is likely others as well, and that argument does have some merit. I am not a proponent though, my concern is that with legalization of it, more folks would be more likely to try it, and thus more would become users. Also who is to say that after legalization of it, then maybe a movement to normalize something harder.
My views are formed from seeing first hand the damage that alcohol caused my family, and others, and from seeing the devastation caused by various types of drugs in the communities that we live and work in. Where we are there it seems like a drug epidemic.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:49 pm

This discussion kind of hits on a pet peeve of mine. Not that I want to, but if I did want to take drugs that I know will fry my brain, shouldn't that be my decision once I reach adulthood? Why should our government have the right or responsibility to protect me from myself? If someone steals or kills in order to feed their habit, then by all means throw them under the jail, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves I'm not convinced we shouldn't just let them.
1 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:12 pm

Rafter S wrote:This discussion kind of hits on a pet peeve of mine. Not that I want to, but if I did want to take drugs that I know will fry my brain, shouldn't that be my decision once I reach adulthood? Why should our government have the right or responsibility to protect me from myself? If someone steals or kills in order to feed their habit, then by all means throw them under the jail, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves I'm not convinced we shouldn't just let them.

Who's going to be responsible for your welfare, medical treatment, crimes committed in order to support your habit and etc
0 x

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:25 pm

Cross-7 wrote:
Rafter S wrote:This discussion kind of hits on a pet peeve of mine. Not that I want to, but if I did want to take drugs that I know will fry my brain, shouldn't that be my decision once I reach adulthood? Why should our government have the right or responsibility to protect me from myself? If someone steals or kills in order to feed their habit, then by all means throw them under the jail, but as long as they aren't hurting anyone but themselves I'm not convinced we shouldn't just let them.

Who's going to be responsible for your welfare, medical treatment, crimes committed in order to support your habit and etc

When they commit a crime while high or drunk the party needs to be over. Medical treatment? That's a tough one, if you use tobacco, drink alcohol, or soda pop who's responsible for your well being?
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:49 pm

I guess we all are directly or indirectly....bet most of the users don't have insurance. So we pick up the tab for their consequences.....
1 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:51 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:I guess we all are directly or indirectly....bet most of the users don't have insurance. So we pick up the tab for their consequences.....

As I've mentioned, I volunteered as an advocate for abused/neglected children for ~20 years. There was not a d@mn kid I worked with that didn't have a substance-abusing parent (or two). NOT A SINGLE KID. Urban, suburban, all flavors...

It's naive to think that people who (ab)use drugs only affect themselves and that we are impinging on their natural right to fry their brains by trying to discourage them from so doing.

Want to fry your brain? First, work hard to put aside enough money so you never have to steal or scam or hook to get your fix. Wait until your parents die; don't drive, marry or have kids. Or a pet. Or friends. Basically, become a hermit. Once you've achieved that exalted state: Hole up in your home and have at it. Fry away. Don't call 9-1-1. Pay someone ridiculously well to check once a month to make sure you're alive. (Yes, even then you're adversely affecting society but at least minimizing it).
1 x

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:58 am

I think some we have to distinguish between use and abuse.. certainly one can lead to the other, but legal or not it happens. Alcohol for one.. a fellow goes and has a few drinks on friday night and doesn't get stupid, it's not a problem... Some people are violent when they have a few in them, that's not good.
Having a toke on Sunday afternoon, I don't have a problem with it either, but I know people who are mentally diminuished from pot use...
There are also the drugs where the line between use, abuse, and addiction are so thin, they're just too darned dangerous.
0 x
The only possible end result of treating all animals like people is that all people will be treated like animals

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:03 pm

Nesikep wrote:I think some we have to distinguish between use and abuse.. certainly one can lead to the other, but legal or not it happens. Alcohol for one.. a fellow goes and has a few drinks on friday night and doesn't get stupid, it's not a problem... Some people are violent when they have a few in them, that's not good.
Having a toke on Sunday afternoon, I don't have a problem with it either, but I know people who are mentally diminuished from pot use...
There are also the drugs where the line between use, abuse, and addiction are so thin, they're just too darned dangerous.

You are 100% correct.
Surprisingly enough I have seen users who could do rather well on intellectual tasks--but not as well as they could have without the dope.

It (marijuana) also lowers their initiative and ambition. I think this is the most dangerous part.
How about a whole nation of people who just wanted to "mellow out" in emergencies rather than doing something constructive?
It is insidious.
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Nesikep » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:09 pm

Sometimes emergencies are created by people who aren't mellowed out though! :)
0 x

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:09 pm

Ryder wrote:
Nesikep wrote:I think some we have to distinguish between use and abuse.. certainly one can lead to the other, but legal or not it happens. Alcohol for one.. a fellow goes and has a few drinks on friday night and doesn't get stupid, it's not a problem... Some people are violent when they have a few in them, that's not good.

You are 100% correct.
Surprisingly enough I have seen users who could do rather well on intellectual tasks--but not as well as they could have without the dope.

It (marijuana) also lowers their initiative and ambition. I think this is the most dangerous part.
How about a whole nation of people who just wanted to "mellow out" in emergencies rather than doing something constructive?
It is insidious.

It's legal somewhere in europe, holland maybe?
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Return to “Coffee Shop”