Its not Anecdotal

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Its not Anecdotal

Postby Bright Raven » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 am

...the real life exposure to drugs in my circle. A guy I see once a week at the Mayslick Mill, his son found dead of an opioid overdose this summer. Good family. The constant news of opioid overdoses. Now the facts to support the anecdotal evidence:

The rates of opioid overdose deaths in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania are all now above the national average, according to a study done by the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.

The study, which focused on the impact of the opioid crisis on the labor market in the fourth Federal Reserve district, found that while the nationwide rate of deaths from opioid overdoses sits at around ten per 100,000 people, Pennsylvania's is around 10.5, Kentucky's is 20, and Ohio's is around 22. West Virginia's is a staggering 35.
0 x

bball
GURU
GURU

Re: Its not Anecdotal

Postby bball » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:34 am

Bright Raven wrote:...the real life exposure to drugs in my circle. A guy I see once a week at the Mayslick Mill, his son found dead of an opioid overdose this summer. Good family. The constant news of opioid overdoses. Now the facts to support the anecdotal evidence:

The rates of opioid overdose deaths in West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky, and Pennsylvania are all now above the national average, according to a study done by the Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.

The study, which focused on the impact of the opioid crisis on the labor market in the fourth Federal Reserve district, found that while the nationwide rate of deaths from opioid overdoses sits at around ten per 100,000 people, Pennsylvania's is around 10.5, Kentucky's is 20, and Ohio's is around 22. West Virginia's is a staggering 35.

That's staggering. See it face to face on, sadly, a regular basis. Save many, but not all..sometimes, you save the same person more than once. Those are the ones that really get your mind going. I suspect it will continue to grow as well...what is the alternative?
I am sorry about your friends loss of his son. As a father, it is one of my very real fears.
2 x
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are.
-Anais Nin

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:35 am

Drugs have been a problem for ever. With kids all you can do is point them in the right direction and hope for the best. Nothing will work it's been proven time and again. Everyone knows someone that's been affected negatively by drugs, alcohol or nicotine, and yet most of us still have to learn the hard way. Educating kids about drugs, sex just seems to make it worse. No easy answer here, but living by the three strikes and your out will slow this bs down.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Postby dun » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:49 am

When I got my prescription renewed the other day I commented to the doc that I didn;t understand why people took them to get high since all they do for me is take the edge off the pain. I said they affect people in different ways. Then he related his experience. A couple of years ago he had kidney surgery. The next day he took one Norco (the same stuff I use). He said a couple of hours later when he woke up he LOVED everybody. And was calling people he hadn't talked to in years. Decided then and there never again.
0 x
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:24 am

dun wrote:When I got my prescription renewed the other day I commented to the doc that I didn;t understand why people took them to get high since all they do for me is take the edge off the pain. I said they affect people in different ways. Then he related his experience. A couple of years ago he had kidney surgery. The next day he took one Norco (the same stuff I use). He said a couple of hours later when he woke up he LOVED everybody. And was calling people he hadn't talked to in years. Decided then and there never again.

I take hydrocodone occasionally when my back pain is worse than usual, but also can't imagine getting hooked on them. Besides the unpleasant effects on my digestive system they make me feel realllly relaxed, but I can't sleep until they wear off.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

TN Cattle Man
GURU
GURU

Postby TN Cattle Man » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:25 am

When I had my knee replacement surgery nearly two years ago, it had some complications that were very painful... I was on some pretty serious pain meds for nearly 2 months. When I went back to see my doctor, I told him I needed my prescription refilled and he told me "No"! Looking back, that was the best thing he could have said to me and I am thankful for that. There are still doctors out there that are looking out for the well being of their patients and not just over prescribing meds.
0 x
As for me and my house... We will Serve the Lord!

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:44 am

That national average is right up there with auto deaths per 100,000 population.
11.6/100,000 in 2016.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:05 am

How many parents are feeding their kids drugs every morning for ADHD, ADD? And then more drugs so they can come down and go to sleep. We need to legalize marijuana that'll fix our drug problems.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:11 am

Sad world.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:00 am

True Grit Farms wrote:How many parents are feeding their kids drugs every morning for ADHD, ADD? And then more drugs so they can come down and go to sleep. We need to legalize marijuana that'll fix our drug problems.

There's a lot to that. I have a friend that is a state trooper and I asked him how he felt about legal marijuana. He was all for it so that he could take care of real crime that harms the community more significantly.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Postby callmefence » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:15 am

The problems are not with the drugs, they are with the people. If someone wants to get high they will find a way.
Instead a burden is placed on doctor's and people who need the medication because some are to weak to control their vices.
The majority of drugs should be legalized. And all the crime associated with illicit drugs would end. Sure there would be some who couldn't control themselves. But that's the case with everything.
1 x
The more I work the luckier I get...TexasBred

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

lovehammer
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby lovehammer » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:25 pm

callmefence wrote:The problems are not with the drugs, they are with the people. If someone wants to get high they will find a way.
Instead a burden is placed on doctor's and people who need the medication because some are to weak to control their vices.
The majority of drugs should be legalized. And all the crime associated with illicit drugs would end. Sure there would be some who couldn't control themselves. But that's the case with everything.

I agree with you.

It seems we go from one drug crisis to another. It's been crack, heroin, meth, bath salts, synthetic marijuana, and now it's prescription opioids. Folks seem to flock to whatever is the easiest to get.

Legalize them all and let the problem take care of itself.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:58 pm

That West Virginia death rate is only exceed by 4 or 5 of the most dangerous jobs in the country. There are a lot of jobs that many people consider dangerous that have a much lower death rate.
0 x

Cross-7
GURU
GURU

Postby Cross-7 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:13 pm

Many years ago I smoked weed, but only a few times. It made everything funny, then I got hungry and went to sleep. It really didn't appeal to me.

I know people that smoke it daily and do absolutely nothing.
No job, living on welfare, living without any ambition or care in the world except to get high.

Is that what it does for you ?

Other than medical purposes, what's it good for ?
0 x

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:16 pm

callmefence wrote:The problems are not with the drugs, they are with the people. If someone wants to get high they will find a way.

You'd have the same dope heads plus some new ones.....good news is that drugs would be much more affordable for all of them. :nod: :nod: :nod:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Return to “Coffee Shop”