end of an era ......

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Re: end of an era ......

Postby wacocowboy » Sat May 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Nesikep wrote:Sky just needs to up his milk consumption by 10%

I will do my part by upping my consumption of ice cream.
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Sat May 20, 2017 5:38 pm

dieselbeef wrote:its just a lifestyle going away..factory farms run by day labors isn't the same..yeah its milk I guess but the way of it isn't ...
never see new ones

all that artificial crap isn't milk..they call it that but milk comes from a cow..not a dang tree

Government regulations have probably had as big a negative affect on dairying as anything. Add to this very poor management decisions many times and yes they go out of business. High milk prices always attract new people who think the prices will last forever....they are usually the first to go followed by those who insist on doing it like we always have done it while hiring everything done while they sit in the coffee shop and BS about how much money they're making. Those that have survived have been very good managers, unafraid to try new things, use products that will make them money and willing to work hard. The rest give the entire industry a black eye and need to be shutting the doors.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

littletom
Rancher
Rancher

Postby littletom » Sun May 21, 2017 6:32 pm

Still several operations of all sizes. Within 5 miles of my house is one milking 20 and one milking 1600. With many in between. I can thank of one to be honest with you I would not knowingly drink milk from. I understand the dislike of big farms. But can honestly see both sides. All aspects of farming in my neighborhood have became hard to operate fulltime on a small scale. Been through this dilemma personally.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Sun May 21, 2017 7:48 pm

I feel mostly like regulations and encroachment are the 2 biggest factors tho..

people just don't wanna deal with the kind of things that it really takes to produce food..they really don't. the pollution/smell/amount of land/animal treatment.

it unreal how people treat dogs and cats and if they seen us rope a calf to tag and castrate much less hot brand it..omg Id have the sherriff out here for real
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

Workinonit Farm
GURU
GURU

Postby Workinonit Farm » Sun May 21, 2017 8:21 pm

dieselbeef wrote:I feel mostly like regulations and encroachment are the 2 biggest factors tho..

people just don't wanna deal with the kind of things that it really takes to produce food..they really don't. the pollution/smell/amount of land/animal treatment.

it unreal how people treat dogs and cats and if they seen us rope a calf to tag and castrate much less hot brand it..omg Id have the sherriff out here for real

I was told, today, by a new neighbor (new housing development in the "neighborhood") that it is cruel and mean for me to "sit on a calf" to tag and band it, and it is cruel to put a tag in their ear. I was also informed that using a head-gate is inhumane, and "restraining" cows is wrong. :roll: I calmly tried to inform them that the calf deal wasn't much different from their dog being held down/restrained for vaccines and exams. Also tried to explain the head-gate. As for the ear tags, I asked them about THEIR OWN pierced ears, and made the comparison. :roll:
Live each day as if it were your last.

dieselbeef
GURU
GURU

Postby dieselbeef » Mon May 22, 2017 6:15 am

that dog of thiers better be on a leash....but my cows aint...people..I hate most of em
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
einstein

sooner or later im gonna be all beefmasters...probly be later

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Mon May 22, 2017 10:01 am

littletom wrote:Still several operations of all sizes. Within 5 miles of my house is one milking 20 and one milking 1600. With many in between. I can thank of one to be honest with you I would not knowingly drink milk from. I understand the dislike of big farms. But can honestly see both sides. All aspects of farming in my neighborhood have became hard to operate fulltime on a small scale. Been through this dilemma personally.

Tom that milk in the milk tank on the dairy is as full bodied and as cold as it will ever be, not to mention extremely clean. From the minute it is picked up it becomes more and more warm as well as diluted all the way to our refrigerators.
“If it were up to me, I would put in jail every sandal-wearing, scruffy-bearded weirdo who burns the American flag.....“But I am not king.”....Supreme Court Justice Scalia

Return to “Coffee Shop”