Glad I didn't sell her

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
User avatar
OleScout
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 56
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:39 am
Location: North Mississippi

Glad I didn't sell her

Postby OleScout » Wed May 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Lost old #07 yesterday, I'm guessing 17-18yo, my record keeping is not the best. She was born on the place. She knew the drill, never a problem, never got sick, never got out, raised a nice calf every year. When the herd was caught and sorted she knew she needed to get through that sort gate and out of the way. For the last 3 or 4 years I've said "when she weans this calf I need to let her go to town".
Every time she'd come to the sort gate expecting to go on out like she's always done and I would hold her up for a second then let her on by. "Get one more calf off her" I'd tell myself.
That same scenario played out again two weeks ago. I'm holding the sort gate and she is looking at me like "Why'd you stop ME?". So my rational for letting her out this time was to put on a little more condition on her. Thinking " I'll sell her in a month or so".
Monday afternoon I saw her laying away from the herd, rode over to check on her. She looked ok, didn't seem to be in distress. She got up when I insisted. I had that feeling that you get when you can tell its time, I knew her time was near. I went back to the barn and got her two scoops of sweet feed. (I tell my wife that sweet feed to cattle is like ice cream to people).
I sat out there and had a good talk with #07 while she ate her feed. Thanked her for her contributions to our farm and family, told her I could tell she was tired and ready to go and that was alright with me.
When I got up yesterday morning I could see she had moved during the night. After work yesterday I went to see where she was, she had moved to one of their loafing spots under some big oaks and passed away.
Glad I didn't sell her!!!!
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:06 pm

Glad you didn't sell her either. I did sell one of my ole girls one time and still regret it. some just have that bond and know how its supposed to be done.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Farm Fence Solutions
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1135
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Farm Fence Solutions » Wed May 17, 2017 3:29 pm

That's the way it ought to be.
0 x
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." Thomas Edison

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5428
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed May 17, 2017 3:34 pm

M-5 wrote:Glad you didn't sell her either. I did sell one of my ole girls one time and still regret it. some just have that bond and know how its supposed to be done.


Quit that nonsense, a cows job is to have a calf every year. It's crazy how this kind of stuff comes up on here.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:44 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
M-5 wrote:Glad you didn't sell her either. I did sell one of my ole girls one time and still regret it. some just have that bond and know how its supposed to be done.


Quit that nonsense, a cows job is to have a calf every year. It's crazy how this kind of stuff comes up on here.


you sell that one you favored a little more than the others yet ???
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

callmefence
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3832
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:36 pm
Location: Fencemans place...central Texas

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby callmefence » Wed May 17, 2017 3:54 pm

I certainly hand out pardons I shouldn't from time to time. "She's good for one more calf"

But I wouldn't be happy about her laying out there in the pasture instead of being in my wallet
0 x
A good wire fence is like a tight skirt. It protects the goods without blocking the view.


You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 3:55 pm

callmefence wrote:I certainly hand out pardons I shouldn't from time to time. "She's good for one more calf"

But I wouldn't be happy about her laying out there in the pasture instead of being in my wallet


out of all I've ever had , only 2 deserved to die on my place. I still have one and the other one I sold
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4471
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm

Well. It made my eyes water. I put value on life. Especially mammals. And it seems the bigger they are, the bigger their heart is.

Not more than 5 minutes ago, a cow I raised on the farm came running to me. I pet her.
Scratched under her belly around her navel. She likes that. I talked to her. I told her she is my Twister Baby.
0 x

User avatar
Rafter S
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3955
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:13 am
Location: Grimes County, TX

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Rafter S » Wed May 17, 2017 4:54 pm

I never thought I'd do it, but I have one cow left that I inherited from my father when he passed away in 2007, and I decided last winter that she's going to die in my pasture. Either from natural causes, or if it looks she's hurting too bad I'll put her down. She wasn't young when Dad died, is getting pretty gray, and doesn't have a hair left on the back of her ears, but she still has a calf every year. This year's looks a little knotty, but it's the first heifer she's had in a long time, so I'll probably keep it. This is the first one I've ever decided not to sell, and it might well be the last. If anyone wants to laugh at me for it, that's okay. I'm old enough that I just don't care.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

User avatar
melking
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1950
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:20 pm
Location: Muse Florida...just for ryder

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby melking » Wed May 17, 2017 6:01 pm

Sad for anyone that has gone past the ability to feel for special animals.
0 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4471
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 6:19 pm

melking wrote:Sad for anyone that has gone past the ability to feel for special animals.


Nice thought. Each of us lives life based on the philosophy we culture. Everyone does not share my life experiences, my philosophy or my beliefs. They may not appreciate what I see in an animal like a cow. On the other hand, I actually have the capacity to see their point of view.
0 x

User avatar
HDRider
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4424
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:25 am
Location: NE Arkansas

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby HDRider » Wed May 17, 2017 6:46 pm

We should be thankful, and thoughtful.
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4471
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 6:55 pm

HDRider wrote:We should be thankful, and thoughtful.


I know I am. I am also guilty of being anthropomorphic. I put human characteristics on my pets and my cows are pets.

I have two dogs that live with me. I see emotions in their behavior. Their enthusiasm when they see me. The joy that display when being petted in my lap, the desire they have for food, etc. Hard to not interpret that in human terms.
0 x

User avatar
M-5
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5895
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2015 4:41 pm
Location: AT the FLORIDA STATE line checking papers

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby M-5 » Wed May 17, 2017 7:00 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
HDRider wrote:We should be thankful, and thoughtful.


I know I am. I am also guilty of being anthropomorphic. I put human characteristics on my pets and my cows are pets.

I have two dogs that live with me. I see emotions in their behavior. Their enthusiasm when they see me. The joy that display when being petted in my lap, the desire they have for food, etc. Hard to not interpret that in human terms.


But at the end of the day they are just animals.
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4471
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:57 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Glad I didn't sell her

Postby Bright Raven » Wed May 17, 2017 7:47 pm

M-5 wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
HDRider wrote:We should be thankful, and thoughtful.


I know I am. I am also guilty of being anthropomorphic. I put human characteristics on my pets and my cows are pets.

I have two dogs that live with me. I see emotions in their behavior. Their enthusiasm when they see me. The joy that display when being petted in my lap, the desire they have for food, etc. Hard to not interpret that in human terms.


But at the end of the day they are just animals.


Yes. Not sure what "just" means. Would you say mankind is "just" an animal?
0 x


Return to “Coffee Shop”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ChrisB, MRRherefords and 13 guests