My deep though of the day (Dinosaurs)

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Re: My deep though of the day (Dinosaurs)

Postby greybeard » Thu May 18, 2017 1:57 pm

Deepsouth wrote:
One Foggy night my wife and I were driving down a highway. As we were approaching an intersection where a county road crossed the highway I noticed in the rear view mirror that our baby daughter had somehow gotten out of her car seat restraints. I pulled into a turn off I knew about just about 100 yards before the intersection. As I was pulling in I noticed a car go through the intersection on the county road without stopping. As my wife was strapping the baby back in it occurred to me that if I had not pulled in I would have been going through that intersection when the other car ran through the stop sign. When my wife got back in the front seat I asked her how the baby got out. She said she had no idea.
I'm very certain that if that baby had not got out of her restraint there would have been a terrible accident that night. Devine intervention or just coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence. Not at that level anyway.

Last Sunday, in the south end of Jefferson, I was in the right lane of US59 and came to the last redlight in town. Had just a few seconds earlier thought about changing to the inside lane. That light changes from green to amber to red pretty quick. I got stopped for the light (barely), the car behind me in the left lane went thru it at the last second at about 35mph, and 2 seconds later, an 18wheeler blew right thru the red light going about 50mph. He never slowed down or hit the brakes. If I had changed lanes and been stopped in the left lane it would have been ugly.
Dumb luck? Dunno.
Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too.
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Thu May 18, 2017 4:09 pm

Greybeard, you mention..."Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too."

But maybe there was something that had to do with a cross that got you in the right lane!
0 x

cow pollinater
GURU
GURU

Postby cow pollinater » Thu May 18, 2017 4:19 pm

greybeard wrote:
Deepsouth wrote:
One Foggy night my wife and I were driving down a highway. As we were approaching an intersection where a county road crossed the highway I noticed in the rear view mirror that our baby daughter had somehow gotten out of her car seat restraints. I pulled into a turn off I knew about just about 100 yards before the intersection. As I was pulling in I noticed a car go through the intersection on the county road without stopping. As my wife was strapping the baby back in it occurred to me that if I had not pulled in I would have been going through that intersection when the other car ran through the stop sign. When my wife got back in the front seat I asked her how the baby got out. She said she had no idea.
I'm very certain that if that baby had not got out of her restraint there would have been a terrible accident that night. Devine intervention or just coincidence? I don't believe in coincidence. Not at that level anyway.

Last Sunday, in the south end of Jefferson, I was in the right lane of US59 and came to the last redlight in town. Had just a few seconds earlier thought about changing to the inside lane. That light changes from green to amber to red pretty quick. I got stopped for the light (barely), the car behind me in the left lane went thru it at the last second at about 35mph, and 2 seconds later, an 18wheeler blew right thru the red light going about 50mph. He never slowed down or hit the brakes. If I had changed lanes and been stopped in the left lane it would have been ugly.
Dumb luck? Dunno.
Dang good thing there wasn't any cross traffic too.

About eight hours after the point in time when I began to consider myself born again I was driving through New Mexico with a loaded stock trailer on on the 40. I was in a spot where the opposite lanes of traffic are at a higher elevation than the lanes I was in. It was dusk and I saw a sudden flash of light. It turned out to be a car travelling at a high rate of speed in the opposite direction that had blown a tire, clipped a big rig, and was now turned perpendicular to traffic and crossing all four lanes.
I hit the brakes when I saw the light flash. The big rig in the lane next to me had been a little ahead of me and moving faster. That car crossed the highway close enough in front of me that I can remember the look I saw on the passengers face as they passed in front of me and they were airborne when they did it so she was eye level to me. They missed my front end by a foot or less and the back bumper of the truck next to me by a foot or so and landed on the other side of the highway.
The driver behind me was not paying attention. He locked his brakes and fishtailed in between me and another big rig and got within inches of me and wound up sideways as I was still coming to a stop. I came so close to T-boning him hat he couldn't open his door.
The lead truck and I both stopped to render aid but other than a blown tire and some suspension damage everyone walked away with no injury.
I guess you could make an arguement for luck if you are inclined but on that day I KNEW the Truth and I'll never be convinced that it was anything less than that.
0 x

ga.prime
GURU
GURU

Postby ga.prime » Thu May 18, 2017 8:28 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:The one word I can't stand is "gonna." I'm going to look down on you if you use "gonna," I can't help it.

That is a colloquialism, not a chronically misspelled word. Your preference is for everybody to talk like robots?
0 x
where'd it come from, how'd it get there?

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Fri May 19, 2017 1:01 am

Bestoutwest wrote:The one word I can't stand is "gonna." I'm going to look down on you if you use "gonna," I can't help it.

Use it--like you just did?
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri May 19, 2017 9:09 am

ga.prime wrote:

That is a colloquialism, not a chronically misspelled word. Your preference is for everybody to talk like robots?

I'm sure there's something that you can't stand either, but it's a mispronunciation of the two words 'going to.' It is not a colloquialism as I've heard it in every state I've lived in (and so far I've made it to 3 out of 4 time zones in the continental US). I also feel the same way for 'creek' vs. 'crick.' It is spelled c-r-e-e-k. Two e's together make the long /e/ sound, therefore, when someone says 'crick' they are mispronouncing the word. Again, it's nails on a verbal chalkboard.

greybeard wrote:

GB, that was an example, you can't paint me into a corner that easily.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

M-5
GURU
GURU

Postby M-5 » Fri May 19, 2017 9:15 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

I'm sure there's something that you can't stand either, but it's a mispronunciation of the two words 'going to.' It is not a colloquialism as I've heard it in every state I've lived in (and so far I've made it to 3 out of 4 time zones in the continental US). I also feel the same way for 'creek' vs. 'crick.' It is spelled c-r-e-e-k. Two e's together make the long /e/ sound, therefore, when someone says 'crick' they are mispronouncing the word. Again, it's nails on a verbal chalkboard.

greybeard wrote:

I have issues with people that runwordstogether yaknowwhat im talkingabout bestoutwest
0 x
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." JFK

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am

Bestoutwest wrote:
ga.prime wrote:

greybeard wrote:

You would be safe here as they are called branches i.e. Falls Branch, Bells Branch, Coontop,etc.
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri May 19, 2017 9:49 am

Y'all? :hide: :hide:
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Fri May 19, 2017 10:26 am

I'm repowering a Bobcat with a Kubota that had a Perkins in it. A friend comes out sometimes to "help". When ever I need to modify or fabricate something he wants to go home and machine the part. He has the ability to complicate anything! He has to have everything on a CAD program before he starts. I just tell him this is not a spaceship! I end up making something that works while he's standing there telling me how this part needs to do that, and then add this, then adjust that, then I can make that out of alum...

I'm sure he has OCD, or something similar. Must be a difficult life to have to have everything just "so" all the time.
0 x

Deepsouth
GURU
GURU
Location: where the Mason-Dixon line is considered the far north

Postby Deepsouth » Fri May 19, 2017 11:29 am

Alan wrote:Y'all? :hide: :hide:

Leave it alone Alan.
0 x
I don't plant taters and I don't plant cotton but I keep rolling along.

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Fri May 19, 2017 11:43 am

Deepsouth wrote:
Alan wrote:Y'all? :hide: :hide:

Leave it alone Alan.

:lol: nice to see you're still around DS, :tiphat: Don't forget I'm half Mississippian thanks to my momma!
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Postby Bestoutwest » Fri May 19, 2017 11:48 am

M-5 wrote:I have issues with people that runwordstogether yaknowwhat im talkingabout bestoutwest

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of southern mushmouth, either.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Fri May 19, 2017 4:12 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
M-5 wrote:I have issues with people that runwordstogether yaknowwhat im talkingabout bestoutwest

No big deal. Haven't seen anyone invite you to move down this way either. ;-) I couldn't care less how people talk or type as long as I can understand what they're saying. I have a drawl that won't ever change. Most take it to mean I'm stupid. They're probably more correct than they realize. :lol:
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Postby Caustic Burno » Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:

No big deal. Haven't seen anyone invite you to move down this way either. ;-) I couldn't care less how people talk or type as long as I can understand what they're saying. I have a drawl that won't ever change. Most take it to mean I'm stupid. They're probably more correct than they realize. :lol:

HeII TB they deduct 20 IQ points when we talk. I am trilingual myself speaking Texan, East Texan and Crossover that is where La. and Texas crossover each other.

Words migrate like battery to battree
0 x
Grandpa always said never trust a banker,lawyer,preacher or guvmit man. They will steal from widows and orphans.

Return to “Coffee Shop”