Ambulance chasers

A friendly place for chat, rumors, gossip and jokes.
slick4591
GURU
GURU

Re: Ambulance chasers

Postby slick4591 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:42 am

Lawyers are an overpopulated species around here. Started happening back in the late 90's when we had a flood of them hanging up shingles. They were cut throat at first because lots were starving. Hundred dollar uncontested divorces, 100 dollar wills...etc. I heard more older lawyers cussing the young ones more back then than I ever had during that time. Each one wanted to establish a reputation and they'd cut the legs out from under anyone to get that done.
1 x
"If the mountain were smooth you couldn't climb it." ~ unknown

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 am

Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.
1 x

D2Cat
Rancher
Rancher

Postby D2Cat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:57 am

What's interesting about insurance companies is, I had to meet in KC at their office and discuss the circumstances of the accident. They needed to know if the truck was hooked to the PU at the time? Was the PU at the farm? (I asked them if the hitch was disconnected, and the trailer jack was on the ground, which one would cover that? What if the trailer lights were still connected to the truck? It put them in a quandary)

I became aware the ins. co. actually was several companies. One covered the PU. one covered the farm, one covered our home, then there was an umbrella policy. They had to determine which one would cover the cost.

I was covered no matter what they decided, but they needed to know by whom!
0 x

pdfangus
GURU
GURU

Postby pdfangus » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:43 am

Dave wrote:Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.

But if we limit the lawyers where on earth are we going to find qualified crooks to fill all the political positions in this country...
2 x
Strength is of no value if it does not have a
useful application for good.
Jim Tate
pdfangus@gmail.com

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:06 pm

pdfangus wrote:
Dave wrote:Years ago I saw an article on the number of lawyers that the schools were pumping out each year. It compared lawyer numbers to doctors, engineers, etc. We simply don't need that many lawyers.

But if we limit the lawyers where on earth are we going to find qualified crooks to fill all the political positions in this country...

Having been a lawyer is a prerequisite for the professional politician. They promise you what ever they think you want to hear.
0 x

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Postby Bright Raven » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:08 pm

D2Cat wrote:What's interesting about insurance companies is, I had to meet in KC at their office and discuss the circumstances of the accident. They needed to know if the truck was hooked to the PU at the time? Was the PU at the farm? (I asked them if the hitch was disconnected, and the trailer jack was on the ground, which one would cover that? What if the trailer lights were still connected to the truck? It put them in a quandary)

I became aware the ins. co. actually was several companies. One covered the PU. one covered the farm, one covered our home, then there was an umbrella policy. They had to determine which one would cover the cost.

I was covered no matter what they decided, but they needed to know by whom!

You need to be very careful with independent insurance agents. They write your policy then connect it to the company that THEY get the best deal with, not YOU.
0 x

Ryder
GURU
GURU

Postby Ryder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:50 pm

TexasBred wrote:Got a nephew that's an ambulance chaser. Millionaire many times over but will never have enough. Has testimonials on his website....it's laughable. Has huge house, his own chapel on the grounds, an antique car collection and not 3 friends in the world but he's a liberal democrat so doesn't worry about morals, ethics are having friends.

No morals, no ethics but has a chapel? A chapel like for prayer and worship God?
Am I missing something here?
0 x
Ryder

Deo Vindice

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Postby TexasBred » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:03 am

Ryder wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Got a nephew that's an ambulance chaser. Millionaire many times over but will never have enough. Has testimonials on his website....it's laughable. Has huge house, his own chapel on the grounds, an antique car collection and not 3 friends in the world but he's a liberal democrat so doesn't worry about morals, ethics are having friends.

No morals, no ethics but has a chapel? A chapel like for prayer and worship God?
Am I missing something here?

A replica of an old chapel in Ireland. Everything in it is hundreds of years old. The pews, pulpits, etc. Used mainly for weddings etc. But his guy has all the goodies..don't know if he ever attends chapel or not lololol the house is a replica of a Natchez plantation "big house".
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:43 pm

I get so tired of seeing this guy's commercials (and now his son's as well).
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15M9b6PAdro[/youtube]
0 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

boondocks
GURU
GURU

Postby boondocks » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:54 pm

Jo, in Georgia (as in many/most states now), a potential med-mal plaintiff must find an expert (in the same field as the dr. you're suing) to say under oath that malpractice was committed by the defendant dr. when he did such-and-so. This affadavit is required before you even get in the courthouse door. Basically, the plaintiff/patient has to find a dr willing to testify against "one of their own."
In my view, we need a procedure/process (kind of like the vaccination board) that accepts the fact that drs are human and mistakes are made, and grants a harmed patient reasonable compensation for legit errors, without making the process so adversarial, long and expensive to defend. As it stands, even if a dr makes a horrible mistake which results in death, feels badly about it and wants to apologize to/commiserate with the family, s/he is usually told by the hospital not to make any admissions. But research shows that when medical providers "step up" and talk to the family about what went wrong, and express their sorrow, the family is LESS likely to sue. Basically, I guess I'm saying we need to stop expecting drs to nevermake a mistake, and to not be allowed to admit it when they do. Conversely, a small handful of drs are responsible for a disproportionate number of bad outcomes and suits. The medical profession needs to ferret out the bad guys themselves.
Sorry so long, got on a roll :lol:
0 x

Jogeephus
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Jogeephus » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:51 pm

boondocks wrote:Jo, in Georgia (as in many/most states now), a potential med-mal plaintiff must find an expert (in the same field as the dr. you're suing) to say under oath that malpractice was committed by the defendant dr. when he did such-and-so. This affadavit is required before you even get in the courthouse door. Basically, the plaintiff/patient has to find a dr willing to testify against "one of their own."
In my view, we need a procedure/process (kind of like the vaccination board) that accepts the fact that drs are human and mistakes are made, and grants a harmed patient reasonable compensation for legit errors, without making the process so adversarial, long and expensive to defend. As it stands, even if a dr makes a horrible mistake which results in death, feels badly about it and wants to apologize to/commiserate with the family, s/he is usually told by the hospital not to make any admissions. But research shows that when medical providers "step up" and talk to the family about what went wrong, and express their sorrow, the family is LESS likely to sue. Basically, I guess I'm saying we need to stop expecting drs to nevermake a mistake, and to not be allowed to admit it when they do. Conversely, a small handful of drs are responsible for a disproportionate number of bad outcomes and suits. The medical profession needs to ferret out the bad guys themselves.

I agree with what you say. I also think the lawyers need to police themselves a bit. How can an attorney bring a wrongful death suit against a medical facility if the person hasn't died and is healthy? Seems to me an attorney that does this kind of stuff should be disbarred. Its like counterfeiting corpses. As it stands, they dropped that lawsuit and want copies of all his medical records so they can find something they can sue for and other than being old there is nothing wrong with the man. The bad thing is it will never go to court because the insurance company will take control of the case and settle out of court rather than risk a jury trial whether the facility did anything wrong or not and this is like pouring blood in shark filled waters.
0 x
Experience - the ability to instantly recognize a mistake when you make it again.

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Postby greybeard » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:17 pm

boondocks wrote:Jo, in Georgia (as in many/most states now), a potential med-mal plaintiff must find an expert (in the same field as the dr. you're suing) to say under oath that malpractice was committed by the defendant dr. when he did such-and-so. This affadavit is required before you even get in the courthouse door. Basically, the plaintiff/patient has to find a dr willing to testify against "one of their own."

Starting at the bottom of the post..
I fully agree with the last statement and it applies to several other if not all other sectors.

You're right. Doctors are doctors, they aren't not infallible magicians any more than any of us are infallible cattle producers or even infallible parents. There's a huge difference in doing what experience and science says 'should and has worked' and benign neglect. Considering the thousands and tens of thousands of evaluations, diagnostics, and treatments/procedures that take place every single day, the medical community really does a very very good job with what they are presented with each day..and night.
We have come to expect too much and often have come to expect success in one area where we aren't capable of duplicating that level of expectations in our own areas of expertise.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=114027
Last edited by greybeard on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke

It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

danl
Rancher
Rancher

Postby danl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:53 pm

My father in law has a story that amazed me.
He was a superintendent for KerrMcgee, they sold a trencher that was no longer needed to a construction company. The construction company went out of business and someone stole the trencher. The thief managed to mangle themselves pretty severely, and wanted to sue.... The trencher mfg had went under. Can't sue them. Construction company went under. Can't sue them. so they sued KM because they once owned the machine.
They didn't get anything but cost a lot of time and money defending themselves.
0 x

Dave
GURU
GURU

Postby Dave » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:31 pm

The trouble with lawyers is that 99% of them give the other 1% a bad name.
1 x

melking
GURU
GURU

Postby melking » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm

We have a large firm here in Florida that spends a lot of advertising on suing other lawyers. He calls them ambulance
chasers. Tickles the be nice out of me every time I hear an ad.
1 x
One thing you will never hear a southern boy say....Duct tape won't fix that, except, even duct tape can't fix stupid. It can, however, muffle it.

Return to “Coffee Shop”