Longhorn Cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4362
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:26 am

One thing about longhorns you can breed them till their full blood Charolais or Simmental if you choose. Why I don't know? It's only a matter of time before computers scan the animals carcass during cool down and determine the quality of the meat. And it won't be long before tracking chips or some other kind of ID tags will be required. From the farm the animal was raised on to the consumer that ate the animal everything will be recorded on a computer.
If and when that day comes, the quality of the animal will sell it's self. I know I can't compete with Mexico and south America on hamburger and still be profitable.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28169
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:55 am

Just sounds like he has the longhorn part of the cross diluted down so much he's getting very little of the favorable longhorn attributes in the offspring. But I guess if it's working why change.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7230
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:06 am

Got a couple heavy milking Pinz line back crosses here. Fair dispositions and whopper calves. Have you seen this kind crossed with LH to get economical Lineback x Lineback cows?
0 x
Stocker Steve

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby gaurus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:21 am

TexasBred wrote:Just sounds like he has the longhorn part of the cross diluted down so much he's getting very little of the favorable longhorn attributes in the offspring. But I guess if it's working why change.


The trick is keeping the Longhorn cross heifers, that is where the mother heterosis helps the “Diluted” Longhorn feeder calves(1/4 goes a long way just like brahman but without the ears and loose skin), And while the calves may not inherit the heterosis of her F1 mother, he is Beefier and getting help from an almost bullet proof mother, Just think about them as low maintenance Tiger stripe F1, tough as nails mothers that will wean a calf that is about 55% of her weight.
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28169
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:30 am

gaurus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:Just sounds like he has the longhorn part of the cross diluted down so much he's getting very little of the favorable longhorn attributes in the offspring. But I guess if it's working why change.


The trick is keeping the Longhorn cross heifers, that is where the mother heterosis helps the “Diluted” Longhorn feeder calves(1/4 goes a long way just like brahman but without the ears and loose skin), And while the calves may not inherit the heterosis of her F1 mother, he is Beefier and getting help from an almost bullet proof mother, Just think about them as low maintenance Tiger stripe F1, tough as nails mothers that will wean a calf that is about 55% of her weight.

I understand where you're coming from. Actually it would seem to me the 1/4 LH would be a far better cow if she retains most of the positive attributes of the LH like easy keeper, easy calving, and low maintenance but loses the small frame, hard fleshing, wild colors of purebred longhorns and F1 crosses.
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby gaurus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:56 am

TexasBred wrote:I understand where you're coming from. Actually it would seem to me the 1/4 LH would be a far better cow if she retains most of the positive attributes of the LH like easy keeper, easy calving, and low maintenance but loses the small frame, hard fleshing, wild colors of purebred longhorns and F1 crosses.

I can guarantee you that 1/4 Longhorn cross cow will not retain many of the original longhorn attributes, it will be a beefier cow with higher maintenance, and will not breed till her late teens, but ¼ longhorn feeder calves is where the Moneys at $$$, hardly any Longhorn in them but with enough to make them healthier and have a tough as nails F1 Mother that will breed to her late teens or early 20s.. :cboy:
0 x

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28169
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:10 pm

gaurus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:I understand where you're coming from. Actually it would seem to me the 1/4 LH would be a far better cow if she retains most of the positive attributes of the LH like easy keeper, easy calving, and low maintenance but loses the small frame, hard fleshing, wild colors of purebred longhorns and F1 crosses.

I can guarantee you that 1/4 Longhorn cross cow will not retain many of the original longhorn attributes, it will be a beefier cow with higher maintenance, and will not breed till her late teens, but ¼ longhorn feeder calves is where the Moneys at $$$, hardly any Longhorn in them but with enough to make them healthier and have a tough as nails F1 Mother that will breed to her late teens or early 20s.. :cboy:

You make them sound almost as good as Brangus (of course I'm prejudiced) ;-)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby gaurus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:42 pm

TexasBred wrote:You make them sound almost as good as Brangus (of course I'm prejudiced) ;-)

They should, no Brahman blood in them, all Bos Taurus in them as opposed to 3/8 Bos indicus in Brangus.
0 x

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7230
Joined: Mon May 02, 2005 8:28 am
Location: Central Minnesota

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Stocker Steve » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Bralong
or
Brahorn?
0 x
Stocker Steve

User avatar
TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 28169
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Heart of Texas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby TexasBred » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:57 pm

gaurus wrote:
TexasBred wrote:You make them sound almost as good as Brangus (of course I'm prejudiced) ;-)

They should, no Brahman blood in them, all Bos Taurus in them as opposed to 3/8 Bos indicus in Brangus.

I understand brangus. ;-)
0 x
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby gaurus » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:45 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Bralong
or
Brahorn?


how about Watusi? They were the first composite breed made from combining African Bos Taurus and Indian Zebu type cattle

Image
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2089
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Muddy » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:17 pm

Stocker Steve wrote:Bralong
or
Brahorn?

I thought it was Plummer which is 50% Longhorn 50% Brahman?
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:23 pm

Muddy wrote:
Stocker Steve wrote:Bralong
or
Brahorn?

I thought it was Plummer which is 50% Longhorn 50% Brahman?


Plummer bred cattle came from Mr. Plummer. He was kinda the pioneer of bucking bred cattle. The cattle he himself raised are considered Plummer bred. To some extent, people that pursue the same type of breeding, will sometimes say Plummer bred in reference to their stock. By in large though a Plummer bred animal would descend from his stock. No registry for it ofcourse.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am

Stocker Steve wrote:
Big Cheese wrote:They still have the toughness of the Longhorn. They still retain most of the Longhorn traits like no calving problems but Longhorn doesnt show up as much. They will be more beefier and bring more money.


Don't suppose you have seen and LH x Jersey cows in action?


Actually we have one that I believe has some jersey in her but she is mostly Longhorn. She raises a pretty good calf but she is on the older side and she has bred back late this year so she may be on the way pretty quick this year if we need to sell some cows.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11042
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:44 pm

I'm not stepping out, and sayin these calves are nice, but I am sayin they are a whole lot better, than I ever thought they would be. I posted a pic earlier of the daddy, and by all accounts, he ain't much to look at.
Image
I thought this one was an interesting color considering the mating.
Image
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests