Longhorn Cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:12 am

The ones that are coming out with chrome and are marked up get hit a little but not to bad but the ones that come out solid color....which is most of them...they sell really well. When we first started this project everyone told me that we would take hits because of them being half longhorn and we do occasionally but they are usually right up there if not better then all the other calves. I'm very satisfied with the Longhorn cross for sure.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:39 am

I think if you retrace this thread, many people have said the same thing. When cattle are cheap, you just about have to deliver what the market rewards. If you don't, you slip below break even. The market doesn't dictate when I breed heifers to a LH bull. I was doing it at $2.40, and I'll still be doing it at .80. LH cross calves here will be considerably behind their black/polled contemparies. I've started breeding my second round of heifers to that little black corriente/LH bull I posted a picture of a while back. Hadn't seen any calves out of the first bunch yet. Doesn't matter. I just want a calf.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4524
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby True Grit Farms » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:06 pm

Big Cheese has a better market for longhorn cross calves than here or there Bigfoot. Here anything with a hint of longhorn in it is getting hammered terrible. Horns and Crome is a big no go here.
0 x
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:11 pm

Horns isn't that big of a problem here but its not something you eant in all of your calves. We actually haven't had that many horns with our Longhorn crosses but chrome hurts a lot but usually if its still a really good thick calf even the chrome doesn't hurt it that much.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2133
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Muddy » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:20 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:Big Cheese has a better market for longhorn cross calves than here or there Bigfoot. Here anything with a hint of longhorn in it is getting hammered terrible. Horns and Crome is a big no go here.

Maybe you're just talking about straight longhorn calves, but I've seen longhorn cross calves do well at the sales. The buyers here didn't like black skunktails that much but they like yellow skunktails. Most longhorn crosses are polled.
0 x

User avatar
Commercialfarmer
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2923
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:26 pm
Location: Western Oklahoma

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Commercialfarmer » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Edited because I misread something.
0 x
X

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:28 am

I think I've sold all the LH cross calves I'm not going to keep. I was pleased with weights. Price was decent on this little group.
Image
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:53 pm

CED had his first calf on the ground, when I came in this afternoon. Odd color, but no markings. I have been thinking to myself, that the heifers sides were awfully big. Didn't seem to add up to me. This calf is almost as big as any beef calf I've had born this year. Has me a little worried. Oughta be some more calves along over the next week or 2. Be interesting to see how big they are.
Image
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

R V
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 176
Joined: Tue May 01, 2012 10:45 pm
Location: Southwest Missouri

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby R V » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:34 pm

Bigfoot,
Any Charolais bulls nearby? The picture looks like a few of my unplanned Charolais cross calves born to heifers.
Ron
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:01 am

R V wrote:Bigfoot,
Any Charolais bulls nearby? The picture looks like a few of my unplanned Charolais cross calves born to heifers.
Ron


Naw, it bout has to be out of my little bull. He's like a real dark, line back dun.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1555
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:12 pm
Location: Idaho

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bestoutwest » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:56 pm

Bigfoot wrote:I think I've sold all the LH cross calves I'm not going to keep. I was pleased with weights. Price was decent on this little group.
Image


You'd be lucky to see $0.50/lb here from anything resembling LH cattle.
0 x
How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book. ~Henry David Thoreau

HeII is other people. ~Sartre

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:05 pm

Bigfoot wrote:CED had his first calf on the ground, when I came in this afternoon. Odd color, but no markings. I have been thinking to myself, that the heifers sides were awfully big. Didn't seem to add up to me. This calf is almost as big as any beef calf I've had born this year. Has me a little worried. Oughta be some more calves along over the next week or 2. Be interesting to see how big they are.
Image


Thats a good looking calf. It ought to grow off pretty good even being a Longhorn cross. We are having our about to start having some of our 3/4 breed calves out of our Half Longhorn heifers here pretty soon. We had about 5 last year and they done pretty good at the sell and weighed out pretty good for being out of a heifer. Some of Our Charolais Longhorn cross heifers are about to start calving around August so that will be the true test but its only about 3. We are letting out around 20 in March so next year will be the true test.
0 x

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I think I've sold all the LH cross calves I'm not going to keep. I was pleased with weights. Price was decent on this little group.
Image


You'd be lucky to see $0.50/lb here from anything resembling LH cattle.


We are getting a little better per pound then that. We got around $1.38 last time we sold. We havent got $0.50 on anything but one did bring $0.85 and a couple $1.00 but thats about it. We are very happy with what we are getting and for how they are weighing out.
0 x

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11116
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 6:31 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:22 pm

Big Cheese wrote:
Bestoutwest wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:I think I've sold all the LH cross calves I'm not going to keep. I was pleased with weights. Price was decent on this little group.
Image


You'd be lucky to see $0.50/lb here from anything resembling LH cattle.


We are getting a little better per pound then that. We got around $1.38 last time we sold. We havent got $0.50 on anything but one did bring $0.85 and a couple $1.00 but thats about it. We are very happy with what we are getting and for how they are weighing out.


I'm always jealous when I see prices from other places. There's probably good reasons for it, but we get hammered here on everything. BTW, glad to see ya back cheese.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

User avatar
Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 807
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:07 am
Location: Southwest Arkansas

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:39 pm

We get hammered here too. For some reason we never get what our reports say the averages are but as long as I get the money that I expect then its all good.

Good to be back. Been so busy I haven't even thought about checking if anybody had commented on here lol.
0 x


Return to “Breeds Board”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 7 guests