Longhorn Cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

younggun
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby younggun » Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:57 am

Well over the course of the last 2 evenings/nights I have read all 60 pages of this thread!! And I've learned a lot!! I currently have 2 heifers (1 char/Hereford cross and 1 longhorn) both were bred to a black angus and should be calving within the next 1-2 months. I'll be breeding both of these back to a charolais bull. Seeing how I only have about 30-40 acres to run cows on (see my thread in the introduction forum for the info on my setup) I'm considering buying more longhorns and doing what Big Cheese has been doing. Also, since I have a lot of recently logged woods (not part of the 30-40 acres I'd meantioned) I think longhorns would be a better fit to clean out/keep clean the woods. What say y'all.

HDRider, I'm not trying to highjack your thread in any way just seriously considering following what you're doing in the crossbreeding to get a low maintenance herd and also have something that will put a hurting on brush/saplings in the woods. And any and all profits I make will be a plus of course! Lol. Our main income is from 2 poultry layer barns but I have the land so I may as well run some cattle to bring in a little extra income.
Last edited by younggun on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Wed Mar 29, 2017 6:23 am

Big Cheese didn't start this thread. He also didn't invent the wheel, but he thinks he did.
0 x

younggun
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby younggun » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:19 am

Yea I noticed after I posted, that he didn't start the thread so I'll edit that.

And quite frankly, I don't care if he invented the wheel or not, he posted his results over a 2-3 year span and it's informative to someone like me. Something can be done a thousand times over but if someone takes the time to document it and share his results, it's far more beneficial to people who wanna learn about it than just saying "oh that's been done a thousand times!"
0 x

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

younggun wrote:Well over the course of the last 2 evenings/nights I have read all 60 pages of this thread!! And I've learned a lot!! I currently have 2 heifers (1 char/Hereford cross and 1 longhorn) both were bred to a black angus and should be calving within the next 1-2 months. I'll be breeding both of these back to a charolais bull. Seeing how I only have about 30-40 acres to run cows on (see my thread in the introduction forum for the info on my setup) I'm considering buying more longhorns and doing what Big Cheese has been doing. Also, since I have a lot of recently logged woods (not part of the 30-40 acres I'd meantioned) I think longhorns would be a better fit to clean out/keep clean the woods. What say y'all.

HDRider, I'm not trying to highjack your thread in any way just seriously considering following what you're doing in the crossbreeding to get a low maintenance herd and also have something that will put a hurting on brush/saplings in the woods. And any and all profits I make will be a plus of course! Lol. Our main income is from 2 poultry layer barns but I have the land so I may as well run some cattle to bring in a little extra income.

Not a prob pard. Good luck & :welcome:
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:56 am

Red Bull Breeder wrote:Big Cheese didn't start this thread. He also didn't invent the wheel, but he thinks he did.

Never once said I invented the wheel Red Bull. Just sharing my observations and knowledge of what type of cattle I run. Good Luck Younggun! I've had a lot of fun raising these Longhorn and Longhorn Cross cattle and you are in for a lot of fun.
0 x

wildcatkit52
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wildcatkit52 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm

Back towards the front I posted some pictures of a few longhorn crosses. Here is the most longhorn looking one again after getting in with the neighbors "LBW" black bull(I think he is Brangus). He is a runty looking bull and it shows in the calf. Her previous calves looked longhorn in color but had much more meat on their bones. Goes to show that the outside doesn't dictate anything but hair coloring.

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

Here is the bull I just purchased to run on my cows.
0 x

Lazy M
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Lazy M » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:26 pm

wildcatkit52 wrote:Back towards the front I posted some pictures of a few longhorn crosses. Here is the most longhorn looking one again after getting in with the neighbors "LBW" black bull(I think he is Brangus). He is a runty looking bull and it shows in the calf. Her previous calves looked longhorn in color but had much more meat on their bones. Goes to show that the outside doesn't dictate anything but hair coloring.

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

Is that a pied bull? He'll definitely add some muscle to the calves. Prob a very good choice if you're wanting to market the beef, and I'd assume that the longhorns would offset any pied calving issues. Cool idea, hope it works out. Post some pics of his calves.
0 x

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Postby Muddy » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:05 pm

wildcatkit52 wrote:Back towards the front I posted some pictures of a few longhorn crosses. Here is the most longhorn looking one again after getting in with the neighbors "LBW" black bull(I think he is Brangus). He is a runty looking bull and it shows in the calf. Her previous calves looked longhorn in color but had much more meat on their bones. Goes to show that the outside doesn't dictate anything but hair coloring.

June of 16

August of 16

March of 17

What happened to the Romagnola bull you had?
0 x

wildcatkit52
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wildcatkit52 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 pm

He belongs to a guy I get hay from sometimes. I told him to cook him or sell him. I didn't get anything from him.
0 x

wildcatkit52
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby wildcatkit52 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:06 pm

Lazy M wrote:Is that a pied bull? He'll definitely add some muscle to the calves. Prob a very good choice if you're wanting to market the beef, and I'd assume that the longhorns would offset any pied calving issues. Cool idea, hope it works out. Post some pics of his calves.

Yes he is a 18 month old fullblood Piedmontese. Got him from a nice older fellow up in Illinois. His registered name is Hawk's Shawnee Bert.

Most of my cows are Pied/Salers/Longhorn crosses.
0 x

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:46 am

We have had our two first 3/4 Charolais 1/4 Longhorn calves over the last two weeks and they look just like a full Charolais calf. You can't tell at all that their grandma is a little small Longhorn Cow. I think we are definitely on the right track. Thought I would share since I have been talking about this for about 3 years now lol.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:38 am

Keep us posted. Show some pics.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

Big Cheese
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Big Cheese » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:05 am

I cant remember how to post a pic but I will get it figured out to show everyone.
0 x

Rafter S
GURU
GURU

Postby Rafter S » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:20 pm

Big Cheese wrote:I cant remember how to post a pic but I will get it figured out to show everyone.

Just below the white "Reply" box, on the left side, there's a little blue icon and text that says "Add image to post". Click on that.
0 x
"I spent half my money on wine, women, and song.....and like a fool I squandered the rest." - Benny Hill

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby gaurus » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:00 pm

Big Cheese wrote:We have had our two first 3/4 Charolais 1/4 Longhorn calves over the last two weeks and they look just like a full Charolais calf. You can't tell at all that their grandma is a little small Longhorn Cow. I think we are definitely on the right track. Thought I would share since I have been talking about this for about 3 years now lol.

This is where the money’s at, due to heterosis the F1 Longhorn cross cows are nearly as efficient as pure longhorn cows while capable of producing ¾ charolais calves that will perform as good pure charolais claves.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”