Longhorn Cross

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Longhorn Cross

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:49 am

First, don't jump on me.
Second, if you have done this please speak up.

Suppose you have a Longhorn cow, crossed with the bull of your choice. Would the heifers be worth retaining?
0 x
bball wrote: "The juice wasn't worth the squeeze."
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Longhorn Cross

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:13 am

Half longhorn is better in my opinion than a longhorn cow. Spots will still show up on the calves out of that cross. Especially if you use a black bull.
0 x
A tumble bug makes a hard livin. Why? Cause that's just the way be nice is.

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:28 am

Bigfoot wrote:Half longhorn is better in my opinion than a longhorn cow. Spots will still show up on the calves out of that cross. Especially if you use a black bull.

Hearing you like the 1/2s, how long do you think you could get away with using the 1/4s, 1/8s and so on?
0 x
Dun said, "You gotta be flexible. Do whatever you have to do for the best results within your limitations."

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:46 am

HDRider wrote:
Bigfoot wrote:Half longhorn is better in my opinion than a longhorn cow. Spots will still show up on the calves out of that cross. Especially if you use a black bull.

Hearing you like the 1/2s, how long do you think you could get away with using the 1/4s, 1/8s and so on?
it's impossible to get rid of the spots, no matter if the cow is 1/2 or 1/4 or 1/16 assuming that the original dam is a roan or small-spotted longhorn.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:38 pm

No its not impossible to get rid of the spots.
0 x

Taurus
GURU
GURU

Postby Taurus » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:54 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:No its not impossible to get rid of the spots.
Good luck with that! They are good at cheating on homo black bulls.
0 x

ANAZAZI
GURU
GURU

Postby ANAZAZI » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:06 pm

A longhorn cow (or the likes of it, as there are other breeds with similar hardiness traits) will pass a lot of that hardiness to her daughters.
The only downside in my opinion is that I would tend to put terminal bulls on such a cow, therefore the heifer would be uneconomical to keep, and "cost" more not to sell off than a maternal bred heifer.
0 x
Brindles have more fun!

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:23 pm

HDRider wrote:

I don't activly pursue having LH or LH crosses in my cow herd. With that said, I have had several over the years. Probably more experience with 1/2 longhorn, than anything else. I will generally breed hiefers to one, and if I am roping LH heifers, I wont let them stand around open. With 1/2 LH cows, you get some serious longevity out of the cow. They breed back quick, and will continue to stick well into their old age. Spots are not really a problem out of a charlois bull, and thats about all I ever use. I have posted pictures of charlois/Lh cross hiefer in the last few weeks. Not sure what the thread was though.
0 x

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Postby Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:32 pm

I have saw some pretty good half longhorn cows from Limousin and Char. bulls. They seem to do as good as any thing else around here and better than a lot. The more solid red colored longhorn cows seem to have more solid colored calves out of red bulls.
0 x

WalnutCrest
GURU
GURU

Postby WalnutCrest » Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:43 pm

An answer can't be given without first understanding your objective.

So... what are trying to accomplish in terms of your marketing?

Is she going to be a recip for you? Or are you selling her sons as finished beef direct to consumers? Are the aesthetics of a totally uniform herd important to you? Etc?
0 x
Fullblood Aubrac & Mashona Cattle

HDRider
GURU
GURU

Postby HDRider » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:01 pm

WalnutCrest wrote:An answer can't be given without first understanding your objective.

So... what are trying to accomplish in terms of your marketing?

Is she going to be a recip for you? Or are you selling her sons as finished beef direct to consumers? Are the aesthetics of a totally uniform herd important to you? Etc?

The objective of retaining the LH X heifers is to use them as commercial cows.

I am thinking Red Angus bull on LH cows. Sell steers as freezer beef or at the sale barn and keep heifers to build a herd. Rotating a new RA as needed.

The attraction I have to LH cows. Low purchase cost, easy calving, disease resistance, hardiness, long life, high reproductive rate.

I want to start with 20 LH cows, building to a 100 head. Ultimately I want to develop a grass finished freezer beef market.

Maybe I am all wet.
0 x

wacocowboy
GURU
GURU

Postby wacocowboy » Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:04 pm

a good Hereford bull works great with Longhorn cows some gave us a Longhorn heifer we dehorned her and let go with the rest about as good a cow as you could want when she died pretty sure she was bred and must of been 13-15 years old had a calf every year only 3 were spotted and they were heavy thick calves the rest were all red with white face she only had 2 heifers we kept both one was a red with white face the other spotted both made really good cows until they got old neither one ever had a spotted calf I have thought about getting a few longhorns but right now using an Angus bull and just not sure how that would go but may try it can buy a cow pretty cheap just got to find one who was dehorned I don't need a mile of horns
0 x
Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. - Will Rogers

jedstivers
GURU
GURU

Postby jedstivers » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:44 pm

Now longhorns are still cheaper than other cows but they are expensive. I wish when I started buying I would have bought longhorns instead of angus. Put char and limo bulls on and send the calves to town.
0 x

Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor

Postby Bigfoot » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:58 pm

Just throwing a thought out there. Around here, you are normally buying a LH cow at a slaughter price. That is wether she is bred or not. When you buy a big ol bred beef cow, you are buying her at what ever the local market demands for a nice bred cow. When you retire that cow, you are usually looking at selling her at a slaughter price. If somebody just wants to take a chance with buying some bred cows, a LH cow aint a bad way to go. Plus if there knowledge of calving/feeding etc. isn't that great, the LH will be a little more maintenance free.
0 x

ohiosteve
GURU
GURU

Postby ohiosteve » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:22 pm

I am the first to admit that I am a rookie in beef production but I was born and raised around dairy cows. Now that I am able to have cattle as a hobby, I can tell you without a doubt that there is money to be made using longhorn influenced mother cows, at least around here. I can and have bought bred LH cows and heifers for less than 1/2 price of typical beef breeds and with very little marketing have sold the calves for more than I paid for the cow. I have made more money than I ever expected from my longhorn cows and for me it really is just a hobby.
0 x
The truest of warriors is often overlooked.

Return to “Breeds Board”