Fall 2010 Hereford Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Re: Fall 2010 Hereford Bull

Postby KNERSIE » Sat May 12, 2012 9:24 am

iowa hawkeyes wrote:Nice bull. Are your cows on the smaller side? 4 frame would have a hard time breeding a bigger cow.

Are you guessing or are you talking from experience?
Every calf deserves a white face.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Sat May 12, 2012 9:32 am

Here is a pic of a 15 month old frame 4 bull in the act of breeding a frame 6+ cow.

Here is the calf that proved it to be a successfull mating at 6 weeks

and at 12 months

iowa hawkeyes
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby iowa hawkeyes » Sat May 12, 2012 10:01 am

our 6ish frame yearling had a little trouble with an 1800# cow. She's too big, he's the right size as far as I'm concerned.

KNERSIE
GURU
GURU

Postby KNERSIE » Sat May 12, 2012 10:29 am

Some bulls are just more athletic breeders, size has very little to do with it. Very long bulls tend to be clumsier breeders in my experience.

vontrapp1
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby vontrapp1 » Sat May 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Jerry,

That bull looks great! I like the way he is put together in the back end. Do you have him on any kind of feed ration?

Regards
Darren

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sat May 12, 2012 4:38 pm

Thanks Darren. All the bulls get 5 lbs of pelleted corn gluten as a protein supplement (about 20% crude protein) 5 days a week and free choice fescue/prairie grass hay (you can see the hay in the background). Four bulls are sharing a five acre pen which they have pretty much used up. I've got another four acres of fescue I'm getting ready to turn them out on. 6V will be turned out to breed in June and the other two polled bulls sold. 18W will remain in this pen with a couple other weanling bulls over the summer.
A hungry man knows no God, no country, and no boundary. Neither will he respect any treaty nor keep the peace.

smnherf
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby smnherf » Sun May 13, 2012 8:50 am

jhambley wrote:
smnherf wrote:he looks pretty good. Do you have any performance data on him. Particularily interested in what his growth curve is.

Brian

I haven't had any of my cattle performance tested yet. I've been concentrating on the older Hereford genetics and improving their functional traits. There is a "forage only" test in Virginia that one of my bulls may be participating in this year. It's called the Lakota Bull Test: http://www.lakotabulltest.com

I am not talking about entering them in a bull test, but that would be an indicator. I am wondering if you are collecting bw, ww, yw, carcass either ultrasound, or actual, or any cow weights and BCS when the calves are weaned. Frame score is fairly irrelvant for me with this other data as all cattle are ultimatelly sold by the pound. Some of the older lines of herefords certainly have some merit in todays world, but some simply wont keep up with some of todays more modern genetics. If they can add some function to todays modern lines, they have a place. I know I wish I had the Mark Arthur bull that my dad had when I was growing up. Reduceing mature cow weight certainly has is merits, but I am not willing to give up on performance to do it.

Brian

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sun May 13, 2012 9:30 am

are collecting bw, ww, yw, carcass either ultrasound, or actual, or any cow weights and BCS

Nope, just selecting the best from my herd (using my own criteria)...just letting the cream rise to the top and "culling anything that ruins my coffee in the morning" as a mentor of mine says. I'm not trying to convince you or the AHA that the few head of cattle I'm breeding are industry "GAME CHANGERS", "CURVE BENDERS" or will produce more "POUNDS" in the feedlot. I'm just trying to breed some cattle that work in my environment, under my management, and taste good on the plate. If some other like-minded individuals want to buy a bull from me, I'd be thrilled. I have a standing order to buy any of my culls by a direct market/grass finishing program, so they must work for him.

I haven't even registered this yearling bull yet. He may never breed a single cow here but I am keeping a close eye on him . So far, he hasn't "ruined my coffee".

Jerry
A hungry man knows no God, no country, and no boundary. Neither will he respect any treaty nor keep the peace.

smnherf
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby smnherf » Sun May 13, 2012 12:49 pm

jhambley wrote:
are collecting bw, ww, yw, carcass either ultrasound, or actual, or any cow weights and BCS

Nope, just selecting the best from my herd (using my own criteria)...just letting the cream rise to the top and "culling anything that ruins my coffee in the morning" as a mentor of mine says. I'm not trying to convince you or the AHA that the few head of cattle I'm breeding are industry "GAME CHANGERS", "CURVE BENDERS" or will produce more "POUNDS" in the feedlot. I'm just trying to breed some cattle that work in my environment, under my management, and taste good on the plate. If some other like-minded individuals want to buy a bull from me, I'd be thrilled. I have a standing order to buy any of my culls by a direct market/grass finishing program, so they must work for him.

I haven't even registered this yearling bull yet. He may never breed a single cow here but I am keeping a close eye on him . So far, he hasn't "ruined my coffee".

Jerry

You dont have to convince me that you are not trying to producing the next curve bending, game changing bull in the world. Thats not what I am looking for as I certainly realize that there is a lot more to the picture than tha can drive overall profitabiity. I was just trying to get a handle on things in order to determine if they are something that I could use before I drive 1100 miles.

highgrit
GURU
GURU

Postby highgrit » Sun May 13, 2012 1:54 pm

That's a nice bull.
" not all muslims are terrorist, but all the terrorist were muslim "

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sun May 13, 2012 2:09 pm

I was just trying to get a handle on things in order to determine if they are something that I could use before I drive 1100 miles.

I drove 18 hours to buy a 1/2 interest in his six year old sire if that makes you feel any better. Then again, I've driven 18 hours to buy cows that I culled after 2 years. :)

Brian, I'd be happy to speak to you on the phone anytime. (913) 271-7500

Jerry

Stocker Steve
GURU
GURU

Postby Stocker Steve » Sun May 13, 2012 2:26 pm

KNERSIE wrote:Some bulls are just more athletic breeders, size has very little to do with it. Very long bulls tend to be clumsier breeders in my experience.

Had a black heifer bull last year that had to go the the bigs after two other bulls went down with injuries.
He had a really good vertical leap.
Stocker Steve

smnherf
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby smnherf » Sun May 13, 2012 2:28 pm

Well, the distance really isn't that big a deal in the big picture. I would go half way around the world if I thought I would find what I am looking for, but I have to have a good reason to do it.

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 pm

I have to have a good reason to do it.

If you want numbers, eye pigment, frame, feed lot performance/pounds, I'm not your guy.

Return to “Breeds Board”