Fall 2010 Hereford Bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Fall 2010 Hereford Bull

Postby jhambley » Fri May 11, 2012 12:22 pm

Here's a cell phone photo I snapped this morning of one of our young bulls. He's standing with his front feed in a hole but hopefully you can judge him well enough from this photo.

0 x
A hungry man knows no God, no country, and no boundary. Neither will he respect any treaty nor keep the peace.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Fall 2010 Hereford Bull

Postby ALACOWMAN » Fri May 11, 2012 12:38 pm

fine looking animal,,, as usual
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Julian
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Julian » Fri May 11, 2012 2:40 pm

Missed seeing your pictures. Glad to see more.
0 x
www.SteadfastBeef.com
Anyone can sort. Very few really breed.
www.Facebook.com/SteadfastBeef

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Postby SRBeef » Fri May 11, 2012 4:35 pm

I really like the looks of your bull, jhambly. Maybe its the cell phone picture but he has the longer lower look I am shooting for. What is his frame size number?

I don't know what his EPD's look like, but that bull looks like a good match for my favorite heifer I snapped a picture of the other day:

They both look pretty slick for this time of year.

Jim
0 x

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby 3waycross » Fri May 11, 2012 5:13 pm

jhambley wrote:Here's a cell phone photo I snapped this morning of one of our young bulls. He's standing with his front feed in a hole but hopefully you can judge him well enough from this photo.

Well that does it. I am selling out and buying some herf from you.............. :tiphat: i think you might just be on the right track!!!!! :clap:
0 x
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

Herefords.US
GURU
GURU

Postby Herefords.US » Fri May 11, 2012 5:21 pm

3waycross wrote:
jhambley wrote:Here's a cell phone photo I snapped this morning of one of our young bulls. He's standing with his front feed in a hole but hopefully you can judge him well enough from this photo.

Well that does it. I am selling out and buying some herf from you.............. :tiphat: i think you might just be on the right track!!!!! :clap:

BACK to the Future? :wave: :banana: :banana: :banana: :wave:
0 x
“I'm the World's Foremost Authority of My Own Opinion!” :oops:

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Fri May 11, 2012 6:20 pm

SRBeef wrote: Maybe its the cell phone picture but he has the longer lower look I am shooting for. What is his frame size number?
I don't know what his EPD's look like, but that bull looks like a good match for my favorite heifer I snapped a picture of the other day:

No EPDs but he does have some length. He's a frame 4.
0 x
A hungry man knows no God, no country, and no boundary. Neither will he respect any treaty nor keep the peace.

houstoncutter
GURU
GURU

Postby houstoncutter » Fri May 11, 2012 9:29 pm

Fine looking animal, but I would like to see a little color around those eyes
0 x

smnherf
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby smnherf » Fri May 11, 2012 9:32 pm

he looks pretty good. Do you have any performance data on him. Particularily interested in what his growth curve is.

Brian
0 x

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Postby SRBeef » Sat May 12, 2012 12:01 am

jhambley wrote:
SRBeef wrote: Maybe its the cell phone picture but he has the longer lower look I am shooting for. What is his frame size number?

Frame 4 to 5 is ideal for what I want to do .... Why no EPD's? he is registered? Calving ease?

Very nice looking bull. It would be nice to have some EPD's to paint a picture of the traits that can not be seen in a photo.

Thank you for the post and picture.

Jim
0 x

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sat May 12, 2012 6:47 am

smnherf wrote:he looks pretty good. Do you have any performance data on him. Particularily interested in what his growth curve is.

Brian

I haven't had any of my cattle performance tested yet. I've been concentrating on the older Hereford genetics and improving their functional traits. There is a "forage only" test in Virginia that one of my bulls may be participating in this year. It's called the Lakota Bull Test: http://www.lakotabulltest.com
0 x

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sat May 12, 2012 6:56 am

Frame 4 to 5 is ideal for what I want to do .... Why no EPD's? he is registered? Calving ease?
Very nice looking bull. It would be nice to have some EPD's to paint a picture of the traits that can not be seen in a photo.

No problem with calving ease at my place and yes he can be registered. I'm working with old-line Hereford genetics that come from herds that don't have EPDs. I'll add that I'm not a big fan of EPDs. In my experience, the rancher's records and my personal experience with the animal are more important than a computer generated EPD (and I'm a computer programmer by the way). I'll share a quote I'm particularly fond of:

Beware of geeks bearing formulas.
Warren Buffett
0 x

iowa hawkeyes
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby iowa hawkeyes » Sat May 12, 2012 7:16 am

Nice bull. Are your cows on the smaller side? 4 frame would have a hard time breeding a bigger cow.
0 x

jhambley
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jhambley » Sat May 12, 2012 8:16 am

iowa hawkeyes wrote:Nice bull. Are your cows on the smaller side? 4 frame would have a hard time breeding a bigger cow.

My cows are all frame 5 and under. In the past I've seen some very small bulls breed some pretty large cows. They always seem to find a way to get it done.
Last edited by jhambley on Sat May 12, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

bigbull338
Beefmaster Breeder
Beefmaster Breeder

Postby bigbull338 » Sat May 12, 2012 8:49 am

he is 1 nice looking well bred bull thats for sure.
0 x

Return to “Breeds Board”