Idaman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Dylan Biggs
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Idaman

Postby Dylan Biggs » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 pm

Sad news, my condolences to the family for their great loss.
0 x

SRBeef
GURU
GURU

Postby SRBeef » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:53 pm

I am about as far removed from Idaman's world as possible, yet I greatly enjoyed his stories and observations and especially his unselfish sharing of them.

Condolences to his family.

Jim
0 x

Brandonm22
GURU
GURU

Postby Brandonm22 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:20 pm

Sad news indeed. I don't think he was active on these boards very long; but he wrote just about his entire memoirs on here one post at a time (including a lot of pictures). I will admit that I didn't always agree with his opinions, but I respected the mind (and considerable experience) behind those opinions. IF somebody has a lot of time on their hands, some experience as a editor, and considerable patience and ability it would be really cool if they could put that into an ebook for the family. It is almost like he knew his time was running out and he took the time to write everything he could down.
0 x

W.T
Cowhand
Cowhand

Postby W.T » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I briefly got to meet Mr Hooks a year ago what a sad day God Bless.
0 x

Herefords.US
GURU
GURU

Postby Herefords.US » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Here's a link to Tom's obituary, along with a way to express condolences via the funeral home's web-page:

http://www.nampafuneralhome.com/obits/obituary.php?id=68423

George
0 x

iowafarmer
Rancher
Rancher

Postby iowafarmer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:18 pm

Wow, just got done reading through all of these posts. What a man Tom was indeed, with lots of interesting stories. His knowledge and input will be missed from the boards. May God be with his family and his grace shine upon Tom in heaven.
0 x
If its not broke, don't fix it.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Postby ALACOWMAN » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:56 am

maybe macon will freeze this thread at the top, where it can still be read , enjoyed and posted on for a long time espcially for the newcomers
0 x
Santa Claus, the ultimate Yankee....

Douglas
Rancher
Rancher

Postby Douglas » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:02 pm

Would be nice to have an archive board for important threads like this one.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:21 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:maybe macon will freeze this thread at the top, where it can still be read , enjoyed and posted on for a long time espcially for the newcomers

I'll second that, I think an all time best thread page or something like that would be great, I hope we don't lose Idaman's videos he posted..... what an insight to history. Thank You Tom.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

Isomade
GURU
GURU

Postby Isomade » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:58 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:maybe macon will freeze this thread at the top, where it can still be read , enjoyed and posted on for a long time espcially for the newcomers

I'll third it. This thread is as good as any book you could read. Both inspiring and informative.
0 x
The quickest way to lose money in the cattle business is to do it the way grandpa did it.....and the quickest way to lose everything in the cattle business it to forget the way grandpa did it. (Dad)

2/B or not 2/B
Rancher
Rancher

Postby 2/B or not 2/B » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:46 pm

Among many wonderful things about Idaman's stories was the fact that he was a very talented writer. His stories flowed nicely, the humor came through very naturally, and you could practically hear his voice and visualize the different personalities he described. That's a rare skill, one of many that he possessed.
0 x

Brandonm22
GURU
GURU

Postby Brandonm22 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:05 pm

2/B or not 2/B wrote:Among many wonderful things about Idaman's stories was the fact that he was a very talented writer. His stories flowed nicely, the humor came through very naturally, and you could practically hear his voice and visualize the different personalities he described. That's a rare skill, one of many that he possessed.

I have a hard time remembering the names of people I have business relationships with NOW, it is amazing that Mr Hooks could remember people from 30, 40, 50, 60 years ago in such detail.
0 x

jilleroo
Rancher
Rancher

Postby jilleroo » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:20 am

I too thoroughly enjoyed reading Idaman's posts and was shocked to read of his passing. He died on my birthday.
0 x

Alan
GURU
GURU

Postby Alan » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks for the placement of this thread Macon a great read anytime, written by a true rancher and from the sounds of it a spirit that did not waste any of the life given to him on this earth.

Alan
0 x
I'm not afraid of hard work, I can lay down next to it and fall asleep without a problem.

blackcowz
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Postby blackcowz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:38 pm

I never knew of Tom Hook until a last summer when he purchased three Angus pairs from me. He came clear down to Peyton to look them over and see the calves. That day we spent a a few precious hours visiting over cold sweet tea with my family, Tom, Mrs. Connie Hook, and her mother. That day he introduced us to the Accelerated Christian Education (ACE) curriculum. Although his purchase of my cows gave me a secure footing in the beef industry, I will remember him far longer for him introducing me to schooling that has grown my faith exponentially. He was indeed a remarkable man, and I and my family will miss him, but the Lord is certainly celebrating over a saint returning home. I last talked to him the first of February, discussing the condition of the cattle and my 4-H and school work. Glad I got to speak to him before he was called home.
Cade Christensen
0 x
"Breed the best to the best." DOC
Heterosis is 2 + 2 = 5

Return to “Breeds Board”