Old Gert Question (Macon--you might be able to weigh in)

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Old Gert Question (Macon--you might be able to weigh in)

Post by saintgert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:03 pm

I have a Jomar 54 daughter--bottom side breeding Top Gun 244 on Shaker's Playboy 720 x Cierra 433. Very solid heifer. She slopes just a bit from hooks to pins, shoulder's not bad, but wouldn't want it to be too rough, and she has a fair amount of navel--not too much, but enough that bad sheathed bull could make it too much. OH, and we value the polled gene (she is herself polled, but with a lot of horned genetics). We have 33 bulls in our semen tank and one working on the ground. she's a good enough heifer that she could work with any of them, but keeping those traits in mind some options are:

Cosgrove J 13/2 (I have heard that Jomar works well on Cosgrove bred cows re: milking)
El Capitan 5 302 (This is a Nine Bar 5636 son and the maternal grand sire of Lady Reno 044--a national champion in the early 1990s)
Tar Hustler 269/8 (Hustler 920xTT22/3 'nuf said)
DCR 521/DCR Megahoss 436 (two sons of 2T5/9--stud hoss on a hustlerxsuper mama daughter--bottom side Christmas breeding for 436 it's El Colina. 436 is scurred. )
LL Tripp 777/0 (polled LL farms bull who goes back to Cosgrove breeding on top)
Alamo 574/91 (a national champion, Briggs bred)
Christmas 26/2 (a Santa Claus 88 son out of the Yellow Rose 5/9 cow, making him a half-brother to Toot-toot 39/4)--this is in a tank in TN
Kincannon 211/7 (sire of the Fred bull. Partner 5723 son out of Kubecka 3796)--also in a tank in TN.
Nine Bar 3029 (a Clarendon 740 son. Would keep the shoulder clean.)
Herd Sire: Ace 38/5 (scurred Top Gun son, really clean, goes back to Geronimo 3983 and Cowboy 500).

In short, different bulls would fit different areas needing correction; my primary emphasis right now is on the levelness of hip. to look at EPDs:
The cow's are 2.7 17 18 -2 7
302 has the highest WW and YW EPDs at 17 and 22.

Santas and Duhram Reds
GURU
GURU

Re: Old Gert Question (Macon--you might be able to weigh in)

Post by Santas and Duhram Reds » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:11 pm

I'd go with your herd sire first. Not sure which bull would level the hip best but I like the idea of linebreeding the Top Gun. Cowboy 500 and Geronimo in there couldn't hurt.

I haven't heard of a few of those bulls for a LONG time like Trip 7.
www.missourimeadows.com Last updated June 21, 2010
Yes, I know there is a typo in my username...it is DuRHam Reds

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:23 pm

Yeah...our herd sire actually fits the bill pretty well...but it's always fun to play with potential. We have a lot of old stuff--picked up a bunch from Richard Hood maybe two years ago, made some purchases from the Hualalai semen liquidation. Where possible, we look for nicks that will work (so for example, we know on a Tar Hustler calf to come back with Strut; come back on our current herd sire with Tar Hustler or something with a bit more power, but in general our herd sire's going to throw some good, clean calves), but in some instances experimentation isn't such a bad thing. We have two cows who should work with just about anything in our tank, but the follow-up will vary, which is what we're facing here.

BC
GURU
GURU

Post by BC » Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:32 am

Jomar 54 was a Jomar 579 son (Jomar 579 was bred by Briggs). Jomar cattle have some thickness and were good cattle.

Cosgrove cattle will get you growth and stoutness but sometimes have sloppy sheaths.

I saw 9- 5636 backin the 80's. I remember him to be a big bull, lots of meat and bone, long hipped.

Tar Hustler 269/8 might work for you. The Hustler X TT 22/3 cross is probably the most predictable flush that the Santa Gertrudis breed has ever seen. Look at all the good cattle that came from that mating.

Some of the DCR cattle work really well.

Tripp 777 was long and deep. Need to watch the underlines.

Alamo wass a good thick bull. I saw some nice heifers out of him.

Your Claredon 740 son might also work. 740 produced some really pretty cattle.

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:27 pm

This is true...but he also owned an interest in Jomar 54 and Tripp 777 and Hustler 920 and outright 0678, another 5636 son, which is why I thought his input in particular would prove invaluable. I had asked him earlier about the Tripp 777 combination, and he seemed to like that idea, but now our options have expanded a bit as this heifer develops. I should have a picture to post soon.

gertguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by gertguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:25 pm

Seen some very nice heifers out of fred. Did you know he became infertile before he was collected agian and they saw his calves
Alan said Maverick died on him.

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:40 pm

That really stinks--i hope he (maverick) caught some heifers before he died. Is Alan seeking any recompense or is it just a loss? Yeah, I knew fred's production was limited--but his heifer calves are really nice. I think we're going to go with Tar Hustler on this heifer. seems like a good fit. Picture coming soon.

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:37 am

Which reminds me...I think Dad just got his Carolina Cattle Connection recently with the Gert feature.

gertguy
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by gertguy » Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:12 pm

I got mine and loved the article good job. I don't think so and Flying c was keeping semen interest and they don't know yet

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:46 pm

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it!

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:45 pm

So, I can provide a little bit of followup on this post. We had AI'd the heifer to El Capitan 5 302, but that did not take, so we have since AI'd to Mountain Man 266 in an effort to make some more room in the tank thinking we only had one straw (and should work to smooth out the shoulder). Turned out we had three straws--(oops). Maybe we'll try 302 next time--which reminds me--greatgerts, if you read this post, can you let me know how that 302 daughter you bought from Darrell at last year's Mt. Laurel Classic Sale turned out?

By the way, we now have two full brothers to this heifer on the ground...they're not bad--we have plans to gain test both of them but will probably show one as part of a produce at the NC State Fair this fall.

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Post by greatgerts » Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:21 am

The heifer is doing well. I was told by Delmo Payne that she will really bloom as a 3 year old. I was going to AI her to Remington, but when I was getting all of the cows in to take CIDRs out, not everything came in and didn't have an extra pen, so I had to let the bull do his work. She is bred to a ROHO/Geronimo bull. His picture will be in the District 6 ad in the August magazine. Very long and thick bull. Next time around, I may breed her to Caddo, Twister, or Sombrero. I would like to find some older blood to breed her to, but haven't found what I am really looking for yet. If I could get my hands on some Briggs 023/91 semen...

saintgert
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by saintgert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 am

We just picked up some 023/91 about a month ago during junior nationals. A quick call to Joe Jones or Darrell Pitchford should do the trick--I don't remember which facility sent what. Gary Harding/Robert Silva closer to you have semen on a Harris Farms 15/4 bull who is polled and pretty good.

greatgerts
GURU
GURU

Post by greatgerts » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:00 am

I know the 15/4 is good. I bought a 75% from Silva at Polled Gold. I know some of it is from the Red Angus, but a very thick, clean heifer. She should do well. I will give Darrell a call. He and I were talking about Caddo semen this past weekend.

BC
GURU
GURU

Post by BC » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Did the heifer conceive to Mountain Man 266? 266 had one of the best mothers to ever walk at Mayfair. She was a Maltsberger cow, a little snorty but raised one be nice of a calf every year. 266 had a beautiful profile and would really clean up some heavy fronted cattle. Maybe too tall for today, but save a straw for when we make cattle too little again.

023/91 produces some really solid females. Maybe not the best "show" heifers, but thick, broody cows with good udders that maintain their flesh easily. I really like the bull and have AI'ed more to him than anyother bull.