Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Post by ALACOWMAN » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:04 pm

wstevenl wrote:So is it the making money part that makes you a farmer (I agree with that). Or is it the enjoying it part that makes you a "hobby farmer"? The way I look at it, I'm a "hobby rancher" with my horses because they don't even begin to make money but in time I hope to be a farmer.... selling food to customers, and making money. I also want to enjoy it. If I'm making money at it, I sure wouldn't want to be called a hobby farmer but I'll most likely not be raising the same thing that they feed lot owners are asking for.
there are alot of great cattlemen out there, that only run a few head... numbers might make some more profit. but?

as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Post by 3waycross » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:07 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
3waycross wrote:Probably cuz most of the time it's used in a derogatory fashion.

Never seen anyone like being refered to as a red headed stepchild at a family reunion.
maybe but there aint a whole lot of ways to say it... redhead stepchild on the other hand might need some deplomacy ;-)

You got that right :clap: :nod:
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!

EAT BEEF
Rancher
Rancher

Post by EAT BEEF » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:35 pm

Hobby farmer is a term I use for people that do things because they want to be different for the sake of being different.When I had the ag construction company I meet alot of these types,Some were nice folks.They just wanted to do things no one else was doing and seemed to think the rest us just didn't understand agriculture or anything else.Most really enjoyed telling us how to build things to.I'm all for thinking outside the box,but it might be better if you understand whats in the box first.
O HE!! I CAN'T SPELL

greenwillowhereford II
Rancher
Rancher

Post by greenwillowhereford II » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:24 pm

First of all, I'll agree that this test proved nothing substantial. Secondly, I'm glad that there are those who are preserving the rare breeds.

There has been a scientific study about flavor and tenderness, involving hundreds of animals. It was at Colorado State University in the early nineties. It compared Herefords to "mine run" USDA beef. The results of this study were used in the development of the CHB program. The tests showed that most of the participants agreed that even in the Select grade, Hereford beef had better flavor and was more tender and juicy than the upper 2/3 USDA Choice. I have copies of these test results in my possession.

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:54 am

3waycross wrote:Probably cuz most of the time it's used in a derogatory fashion.

Yes, it is an attempt to be derogatory. The truth doesn't hurt any and never has.

The IRS has a definition for Hobby Farmer. I don't qualify. Far from it. When I first started I did. I suspect everyone did at one time or another in the early stages.

There is no doubt that I am a part timer, which only allows me to put in 50 to 60 hours a week on the farm outside of my 40 hour a week "full time" job. :D
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

novatech
GURU
GURU

Post by novatech » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:00 am

EAT BEEF wrote:I'm all for thinking outside the box,but it might be better if you understand whats in the box first.

Very well put :clap:
All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed.
Second, it is violently opposed.
Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.
--Mahatma Gandhi

wstevenl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by wstevenl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:02 am

Eat Beef,
I probably fit pretty well into your Hobby Farmer def. right now. I'm trying to be pretty open to listening to other people but I do want to do things different. The way we got started (we're still starting) is that we have a small family farm that is rented out and we wanted to try and find a way to make a little more money than usual/acre on a small scale. So, we've put 10 acres in pasture and we're going to try some different things for a while and see what works. The basic mold so far is that we want to be as close to organic as we can but not spend tons of money on certified organic feeds, and we want to sell food off the farm rather than selling calves etc.

If we can ever turn a profit I'll be able to say I'm no longer a hobby farmer.... hopefully.
http://www.franciscanfamilyfarms.com
An attempt at Sustainable Farming in Southeast Missouri

EAT BEEF
Rancher
Rancher

Post by EAT BEEF » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:33 am

wstevenl wrote:Eat Beef,
I probably fit pretty well into your Hobby Farmer def. right now. I'm trying to be pretty open to listening to other people but I do want to do things different. The way we got started (we're still starting) is that we have a small family farm that is rented out and we wanted to try and find a way to make a little more money than usual/acre on a small scale. So, we've put 10 acres in pasture and we're going to try some different things for a while and see what works. The basic mold so far is that we want to be as close to organic as we can but not spend tons of money on certified organic feeds, and we want to sell food off the farm rather than selling calves etc.

If we can ever turn a profit I'll be able to say I'm no longer a hobby farmer.... hopefully.

Well experience is a great teacher and if you stay after it long enough I'm sure you'll do ok and find what works for you.
O HE!! I CAN'T SPELL

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:34 am

Must be a hobby. If it was work it would pay a whole lot better with fewer hours.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

wstevenl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by wstevenl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:09 am

If that's the test, Dun, then my job as a draftsmen is a hobby too. Cause I spend way too many hours here for not enough pay.
Got to admit, the health ins. is pretty good though. :-)

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:32 am

Back to the subject, "yard" chickens producing "yard eggs" are no doubt different than store bought. I'd rather eat free roaming chicken from the farm than store bought too. Rhode Island Reds, White Leghorns - whatever. Breed is not that important to me.

There are rules and regulations that must be complied with when it comes to selling beef just like there is for chickens.

I know how I like my beef finished and do that regularly. You can't sell this directly to consumers because of regulations. What you can do is sell an animal to someone and let them process it. If they like the results, they'll be back. Count on it.
Our ancestors gave us this. They fought to make it what it is. All we have to do is defend it.

wstevenl
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by wstevenl » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 am

Sure you can sell the beef to the customers. It's not as easy as selling a side and letting them take control of it at the processors, but I know it can be done because we've bought beef and pork this way. You must take the animal to a butcher/processor that is USDA inspected and not just state inspected if you want to sell it by the cut. At least that is what I've found. Around here we have http://www.fruitlandamericanmeat.com/cu ... essing.php

backhoeboogie
smithy
smithy

Post by backhoeboogie » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:18 am

wstevenl wrote:Sure you can sell the beef to the customers. It's not as easy as selling a side and letting them take control of it at the processors, but I know it can be done because we've bought beef and pork this way. You must take the animal to a butcher/processor that is USDA inspected and not just state inspected if you want to sell it by the cut. At least that is what I've found. Around here we have http://www.fruitlandamericanmeat.com/cu ... essing.php

I'm not arguing. Those are rules and regulations that must be complied with. Are they not?

It is easier for me to sell the whole steer to the customer. Less red tape and plenty of accepting customers. No more money and no less money.

DOC HARRIS
GURU
GURU

Post by DOC HARRIS » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:00 pm

EAT BEEF wrote:Well I'll have to agree with about everything you siad on this one Doc. Maybe you could make a post so we know your still among the living.

EB-

I am still among the living! For Frankie's understanding, I guess I should have put the word 'SCIENTIFIC" in quotes, but I guess everyone else got the point. The problem I am having right now is - my computer is "on the edge of frustration", and is refusing to tell me when posts are being answered.

DOC HARRIS