Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.

Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Postby BAGTIC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:55 pm

Is there a taste difference among breeds?

Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 1:49 PM
Subject: Beef Tasting Compares Ten Heritage Breeds

For Immediate Release

What’s the Beef? An Historical and Culinary First

Pittsboro, NC: On June 20, 2008, approximately 70 food professionals, chefs, food writers, and food connoisseurs gathered at Ayrshire Farm in Upperville, VA, to participate in a blind-tasting which compared beef from eight rare heritage breeds and two widely available breeds of cattle.

The mission of the event was to make a flavor comparison of beef from these ten breeds to demonstrate the culinary diversity they represent, as well as the value of conserving rare breeds. “We have to eat them to save them,” said Sandy Lerner, the host for the tasting. “When we eat them, we are giving farmers an economic reason to conserve rare breeds and the important genetic diversity they represent.”

This unique event presented meat from the chuck section of each breed roasted simply, without spices, and cut into bite-sized pieces in covered dishes at numbered stations. Numbered toothpicks and scorecards were provided to aid in evaluating the beef. The meat was scored based on flavor, texture, tenderness, smell, and appearance.

The breeds tasted were: Ancient White Park, Angus, Dexter, Galloway, Highland, Milking Devon, Pineywoods, Randall Lineback, Red Poll, and (beef) Shorthorn. Many of these breeds are endangered and are considered important reservoirs of genetic diversity by the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy. As examples of critically rare remnants of landrace cattle that helped found the United States, Pineywoods cattle are adapted to the deep South and Randall Lineback cattle are native to New England.

After tasting the beef, the enthusiastic crowd was asked to vote for their favorite number before the breed identities were revealed. The winner of the popular vote in this ground-breaking tasting was the Randall Lineback, with second place going to the Galloway and third to the Dexter. The top three favorites each received nearly twice as many votes for first place as any of the other breeds tasted.

Though some breeds had few supporters as first choice, it should be noted that many of these breeds garnered second and third placements on individuals’ tally cards. “I was amazed how different people preferred different breeds to such an extent that there was no obvious winner.” Remarked Kristi Bahrenburg Janzen of Edible Chesapeake.

All but three of the breeds – the Milking Devon, the Randall Lineback, and the Red Poll – had been finished on Ayrshire Farm, fed an organic finishing feed, and raised and processed humanely, following Humane Farm Animal Care’s standards. The Randall Lineback was grown and finished on Chapel Hill Farm. The Milking Devon and the Red Poll were grass-finished as there were no steers available to finish on grain due to rarity and herd reduction following the drought of 2007.

This event was the largest comparison of beef breeds in North America to date and it successfully demonstrated that each of these breeds is valuable for the unique culinary experience it offers. To quote one attendee, Lina Burton of The Mercer House, “And the beef – who would have thought that they really did taste different, and were so much better than what is available commercially in the supermarket?”

What’s the Beef – An Historical Event was produced through a partnership of the American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, Humane Farm Animal Care, Slow Food USA, and Ayrshire Farm.

For more information on the beef breeds, placings, hosting organizations, or cattle facts, visit: http://www.ayrshirefarm.com/tasting/beef/

Don Schrider

Communication Director

The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy

P.O. Box 477

Pittsboro, NC 27312

(919) 542-5704

editor@albc-usa.org

www.albc-usa.org
BAGTIC
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Re: Individual tastes/Differences of opinion

Postby 3waycross » Sat Jul 19, 2008 1:45 pm

Interesting but definately a deeply flawed test. Too many variables left unaccounted for.

More anecdotal than empirical. I am guesing it would have a different outcome if managed in a more scientific way
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby VanC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:24 pm

I agree with 3way. This test is very flawed, but then all of them are, IMO. In this one, the cattle being tested weren't even fed the same, which throws all the results out the window as far as I'm concerned. How an animal is finished has as much to do with the final product as the breed.

Yes, there are differences between the breeds in general, but there are also differences within breeds, not to mention an almost infinite number of differences between people's tastes and preferences. Who's doing the taste testing and what do they like? Some like corn fed, some like grass fed. Some like lean, some like marbled. It goes on and on. What's the point?
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

Nancy Pelosi
VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby Brandonm22 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:07 pm

That the breed that won the event (the Randall Linebacks) was fed a different ration, under different conditions, at a different farm from every other breed just about completely invalidates this taste test as having had any degree of scientific accuracy.
Brandonm22
GURU
GURU

Postby Frankie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:14 pm

An interesting article, but I have to agree with most people. The variety of management leading up to the test leaves a lot to be desired.
Frankie
GURU
GURU

Postby DOC HARRIS » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:08 pm

This is a typical example of the current environmentalist, Liberal, narrow-minded ignorance of the majority of the American public concerning the common-sense approach to arriving at ANY meaningful conclusion on ANYsubject!

A few cases in point: The current #ONE subject is our on-going, insulting, ridiculous, and assinine Presidential Political Campaign which is and has been a total INSULT to every American Citizen - whatever one's political leanings may be!

Another senseless and wasteful exercise and STUDY, if you will, is the current "Energy Crisis" (Oil crisis) which has been bandied back and forth for 40 @*^&$($#@%@ YEARS - and our "Esteemed? :devil2: :dunce: :mad: Politicians - BOTH PARTY'S - have sat on their "marbled rumps' and let the country go to HE!! The result!? EVERY single thing we use or consume - food, clothing, fuel, has exploded out of sight, and no one is approaching the problems with any sense of reason! Typical!

Here is another one! (I have a million of them, and the more I think about them, the madder I get!) So I will mention this one and quit before I have a stroke: The Left-Wing Liberal's DEMAND that GOD is taken out of our entire protocol's of having a Free Nation - because ..."we have to be FAIR!" (Another example of our Educational System having gone to "be nice" in a hand basket!)

This "Beef Taste Test" is founded on as stupid and ignorant basis, carrying no more of an intelligent approach than a Kindergartner's explanation of an Algebra problem, as the examples cited above. It is a specious argument, or so-called "conclusion", as questioning why a Sheep doesn't taste similar to an Apple! It is designed to divert the attention of everyone away from the FACT that "Beef Is What's For Dinner!"

Keep your eye on the ball!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!

DOC HARRIS
DOC HARRIS
GURU
GURU

Postby 3waycross » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:15 pm

Easy Doc. Take the meds and go to a dark quiet place and lay down while they kick in. :help: We don't want you blowin a gasket here. :compute: :mad:
USA.......... ride for the brand or get out!
3waycross
Mentor
Mentor

Postby DOC HARRIS » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:18 pm

3waycross wrote:Easy Doc. Take the meds and go to a dark quiet place and lay down while they kick in. :help: We don't want you blowin a gasket here. :compute: :mad:

I'm okay, #3way - Just a minute while I catch my breath! Maybe I need a good Fillet! Or a Prime Rib slab with a baked potato and well-cooked mixed vegetables. But on the other hand - a one pound Salmon Steak with wine sauce and Strawberry Shortcake sounds good.

But the scientific Beef taste experiment is still pretty stupid! :? :lol2:

DOC HARRIS
DOC HARRIS
GURU
GURU

Postby Frankie » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:22 pm

DOC HARRIS wrote:
3waycross wrote:Easy Doc. Take the meds and go to a dark quiet place and lay down while they kick in. :help: We don't want you blowin a gasket here. :compute: :mad:

I'm okay, #3way - Just a minute while I catch my breath! Maybe I need a good Fillet! Or a Prime Rib slab with a baked potato and well-cooked mixed vegetables. But on the other hand - a one pound Salmon Steak with wine sauce and Strawberry Shortcake sounds good.

But the scientific Beef taste experiment is still pretty stupid! :? :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

Funny, I didn't see the word "scientific" anywhere in the first post. But don't let the facts get in the way of your rant, DOC. :roll:
Frankie
GURU
GURU

Postby VanC » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:34 pm

DOC HARRIS wrote:But the scientific Beef taste experiment is still pretty stupid! :? :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

I think they're all pretty stupid, "scientific" or not. Besides, how can you even have a scientific beef test? Sure, you can see that every animal is fed and raised the same and all that, but it still boils down to the fact that different people have different tastes. It's like asking people what their favorite color is. If most of them say blue does that make blue the best color? Not in my book.
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what's in it."

Nancy Pelosi
VanC
GURU
GURU

Postby Wisteria Farms » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:08 pm

After having sweated through my kids' science fair projects...I feel qualified to make this statement...haha.

This study COULD BE done... with reasonable results.
IF there were a specified number of the same breed, say 20 head of each breed (same age which were raised under same conditions)
IF each animal was fed the EXACT same thing for the EXACT same number of days.
IF each animal was processed EXACTLY the same way
IF the taste test was based on a HUGE number of "tasters"... then yes, I could see it MAYBE having some value...
however, the statements made in that first post have everyone that knows anything about so called "tests" laughing...

I'm sorry, but it sounds like a neat study on the value in raising heritage breeds... just needs done the right way.
You preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips.
Wisteria Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby warpaint » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:31 pm

I'm just thanking them for not testing Longhorns and giving ya'll another reason to bash me! :D
Registered Texas Longhorns
Medicine Hat Farm
warpaint
GURU
GURU

Postby Wisteria Farms » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:06 pm

warpaint wrote:I'm just thanking them for not testing Longhorns and giving ya'll another reason to bash me! :D

I was thinking the same thing about Murray Greys... :banana:
You preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips.
Wisteria Farms
GURU
GURU

Postby EAT BEEF » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:26 am

Well I'll have to agree with about everything you siad on this one Doc. Maybe you could make a post so we know your still among the living.
O HE!! I CAN'T SPELL
EAT BEEF
Rancher
Rancher

Postby BAGTIC » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:50 am

I can pretty much agree with about all the criticisms of the test as far as being unscientific, poorly designed. Now, whenever we hear anyone, anyone, claiming that their favorite breed is better tasting, etc. than some other breed can we agree that they too should show some valid scientific proof to support their positions.

I think it is all very subjective. Even if all the animals were the same age, sex, etc. and were finished the same way, and aged the same way there would never be universal agreement on what tastes best. Furthermore the rankings would probably vary among breeds according to the regimen. One breed might rank higher when grain finished, another when grass finished.
BAGTIC
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Next

Return to Breeds Board