Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
THG
Rancher
Rancher

Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Post by THG » Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:47 pm

Well, I know everyone will be different on what you all believe is the best Black Angus Bull in the past ten years, but my pick is CA Future Direction. Awesome sons and daughters. Also, I think that this 004 bull from the Schaff cowherd will be the best bull of this decade.

Well, let me know what your favorite Black Angus bull has been in the last decade.

THG

Outrigger2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Outrigger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:00 am

i think EXT made some excellent daughters as well as 878, but i think it is all in a matter of opinion

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Re: Best Angus bull the Past Decade

Post by Frankie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:06 am

THG wrote:Well, I know everyone will be different on what you all believe is the best Black Angus Bull in the past ten years, but my pick is CA Future Direction. Awesome sons and daughters. Also, I think that this 004 bull from the Schaff cowherd will be the best bull of this decade.

Well, let me know what your favorite Black Angus bull has been in the last decade.

THG

I'm curious as to the answers you'll get. Since EXT and 036, I can't really name an Angus bull that's made a major impact on the breed. There are just so many Angus cattle being registered and so many bulls avaailable, it's more difficult for one bull to make the kind of impact those two bulls did in their time. 878 has been used very heavily, but he's not the "breed changer" EXT was, IMO.

Bez+
GURU
GURU

Post by Bez+ » Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:56 am

Why not wrote:
Frankie wrote:
THG wrote:Well, I know everyone will be different on what you all believe is the best Black Angus Bull in the past ten years, but my pick is CA Future Direction. Awesome sons and daughters. Also, I think that this 004 bull from the Schaff cowherd will be the best bull of this decade.

THG

I'm curious as to the answers you'll get. Since EXT and 036, I can't really name an Angus bull that's made a major impact on the breed. There are just so many Angus cattle being registered and so many bulls avaailable, it's more difficult for one bull to make the kind of impact those two bulls did in their time. 878 has been used very heavily, but he's not the "breed changer" EXT was, IMO.

Would you go as far as to say a lot of angus that are being registered should be slaughtered?

We have seen enough proud owners display poor quality herd sires here to answer that question already.

Bez+

dun
Mentor
Mentor

Post by dun » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:07 am

Why not wrote:
Frankie wrote:

THG

Would you go as far as to say a lot of angus that are being registered should be slaughtered?

Sadly, it's not just Angus.
"“The more you know, the more you know you don't know.” ― Aristotle

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Post by Frankie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:51 am

I don't think pictures are a very good way to judge cattle so I haven't put many on the board. But there are a few pictures of my cattle out there. Search and ye shall find.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:02 am

dun wrote:
Why not wrote:
Frankie wrote:

THG

Sadly, it's not just Angus.
that's for sure. but with the abundant supply of angus bulls seems you see them the most

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Post by Frankie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:03 am

Why not wrote:
Frankie wrote:I don't think pictures are a very good way to judge cattle so I haven't put many on the board. But there are a few pictures of my cattle out there. Search and ye shall find.

So you never email or send someone pictures of your animals to anyone who inquires about them? prospective buyers.

We have done that. Mostly we sell our cattle through sales or to people who come and look at them in person.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:13 am

Frankie wrote:
Why not wrote:
Frankie wrote:I don't think pictures are a very good way to judge cattle so I haven't put many on the board. But there are a few pictures of my cattle out there. Search and ye shall find.

So you never email or send someone pictures of your animals to anyone who inquires about them? prospective buyers.

We have done that. Mostly we sell our cattle through sales or to people who come and look at them in person.
im starting to smell a rat with this why not feller.. he is following frankie around staying back just side of a fight. QUALITY CATTLE comes to mind

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Post by Frankie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:18 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Frankie wrote:
Why not wrote:

im starting to smell a rat with this why not feller.. he is following frankie around staying back just side of a fight. QUALITY CATTLE comes to mind

You noticed that, too? Good, I was beginning to think I was paranoid! :lol:

Angus In Texas
GURU
GURU

Post by Angus In Texas » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:00 am

Like it or not GAR Precision 1680 has had a huge impact on the breed. He ushered in the era where people are striving for ultrasound numbers and not as concerned with structure and phenotype, granted he isn't horrible in those areas. He along with 1407 have really changed the angus market. Whether you believe this change has been good or bad it has happened.

I don't believe there is any bull that exists that is the answer to everyones problems within their herd. No bull is going to give you superior carcass, phenotype, disposition, udder, growth, frame, etc. all in one package.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always have what you always had.

THG
Rancher
Rancher

Post by THG » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:41 am

I will agreat with Angus in Texas that G A R Precision 1680 has definitely left a big mark on the Black Angus breed. Along with other bulls mentioned like 1407, 878, EXT, and 036. I haven't seen anyone speak of the 323 bull or if the 6I6 bull or even 6807.

THG

Frankie
GURU
GURU

Post by Frankie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:00 pm

THG wrote:I will agreat with Angus in Texas that G A R Precision 1680 has definitely left a big mark on the Black Angus breed. Along with other bulls mentioned like 1407, 878, EXT, and 036. I haven't seen anyone speak of the 323 bull or if the 6I6 bull or even 6807.

THG

I'd say 6807 left his mark on the breed, but am not sure that he fits into the the time frame of "the past ten years."

Outrigger2
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by Outrigger2 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:48 pm

6807 has made a big impact i agree, so has 1680,but all of the bulls that have been mentioned have their flaws. that could go with any breed, no just angus.

Double A
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Double A » Wed Aug 01, 2007 3:56 pm

We personally have several of the influential bloodlines in our herd (EXT, 6807, GT Max, 1680, Kruggerand, Juice, 963, Lead Time, 878, Fortune 200, Neutron, etc) and it would be hard to put a finger on the most favorite. We have not used any Future Direction in our herd, mainly due to the lower growth EPDs (and isn't his semen $$$ now?). I think it would be hard to say, as it takes probably at least a good 5 yrs before you even know how the bull is performing (and how his daughter's produce) - and also what you are looking for. Strangely enough, our home raised AI-sired herd bulls' calves will often out perform direct AI sired calves (which will often come out of our better cows) - go figure? So far, New Frontier 095 seems to be mating well in our herd (on cows) and his calves seem to have a lot of growth, muscle and good carcass values; however, our first females out of him will calve next spring - so the jury is still out on this aspect. Our Bushwaker 41-93 progeny have also been very solid and productive too. I think not enough credit is given to the dam and her breeding as far as influence is concerned (both positive and negative) and it also depends on what you like and what does good in your area.