Life in the fast lane

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Post Reply
gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Life in the fast lane

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:18 pm

Moved 160 young or thin cows 3 1/2 miles to a better feed pile today. weather was nice inside the truck cab. Wife led them with a tractor.
First 1/2 mile and lined out
Image

One mile
Image

Through the Morrison Meadow gate, two miles to go.
Image

Mile to go
Image

End is in sight
Image


Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

wbvs58
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4740
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:45 am
Location: S.E. Queensland, Australia
Has thanked: 416 times
Been thanked: 345 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by wbvs58 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:54 am

My perception is that 31/2 miles in winter through snow is a long way compared to when the grass is green and growing.

Ken

Dave
GURU
GURU
Posts: 8126
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:35 pm
Location: Baker County, Oregon
Been thanked: 550 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by Dave » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:30 am

It sure works good when they line out and follow the fed wagon.

User avatar
Silver
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2042
Joined: Tue May 19, 2009 12:08 am
Location: BC Peace River country
Has thanked: 767 times
Been thanked: 756 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by Silver » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 am

Looks like you picked nice weather to get it done.

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by gcreekrch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am

wbvs58 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:54 am
My perception is that 31/2 miles in winter through snow is a long way compared to when the grass is green and growing.

Ken
Was all on a road. Snow is harder to travel in so not many wander from the beaten track.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by gcreekrch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:10 am

Silver wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:33 am
Looks like you picked nice weather to get it done.
Clear the day before but we had to help cut our beef up. Going to be clear today but other things to do.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 15314
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 981 times
Been thanked: 769 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by Nesikep » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:29 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am
wbvs58 wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:54 am
My perception is that 31/2 miles in winter through snow is a long way compared to when the grass is green and growing.

Ken
Was all on a road. Snow is harder to travel in so not many wander from the beaten track.
Once my cows had their trail right along a fence, not one of them would leave that trail, and they all walked in each others footsteps.. that was 10 years ago and since it's close to the fence I haven't been able to get that area smooth!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 1007 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 am

Such a different life and farming that what I've ever seen.
Great pictures. I really, really liked the wagon wheel gate. Priceless!!!
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

gcreekrch
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1167
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 471 times
Been thanked: 518 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 am
Such a different life and farming that what I've ever seen.
Great pictures. I really, really liked the wagon wheel gate. Priceless!!!
This is where cattle really get tested to produce.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 11391
Joined: Thu Dec 09, 2004 5:46 am
Location: Central Upstate New York
Has thanked: 731 times
Been thanked: 1007 times

Re: Life in the fast lane

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:14 pm

gcreekrch wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:27 am
Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:04 am
Such a different life and farming that what I've ever seen.
Great pictures. I really, really liked the wagon wheel gate. Priceless!!!
This is where cattle really get tested to produce.
and FOUND!!! LOL
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Post Reply