Hereford crosses....buy...yay or nay

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
gcreekrch
GURU
GURU

Re: Hereford crosses....buy...yay or nay

Post by gcreekrch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:39 am

greggy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:52 pm
gcreekrch wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:27 am
The heifer is a far better individual of the two. Buy low, sell high!
Can I ask why ?

I also did not mention age, the heifer has a month on the bull, so bull approx 3 month and heifer is 4m both on mothers atm.
Steer is tall and quite narrow.

Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Hereford crosses....buy...yay or nay

Post by greggy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:30 pm

Went and got them.

Saw mothers too.... bull calfs mother is a large shorthorn ....

Heifer calfs mother is the Galloway, and I must have mixed it up, the mother has red in her coat...but is mainly black...but that proba ly explains why she looks only like a Hereford...

Size wise....well they are well past 200lbs....they would be 250ish...and yes, the heifer is far chunkier...head neck, rear and deep. No man handling of her unless you want a ride round the pen.....lol

Heifers mother was said to be stunted due to a very poor start....but my understanding is that wont matter to offsprings potential....she was still a decent size mid frame cow...but not anywhere near a full size angus or shorthorn....

With the extra size from the Hereford sire, she prob has a good potential, anyway, it seems the Galloway was providing more nutrients and was in much better condition than the shorthorn and her bull calf....but he will be fine too....plenty if time too fill out...