What’s best Hereford bull to use when making Baldy’s

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

What’s best Hereford bull to use when making Baldy’s

Post by Josher » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am

Just looking for suggestions on which Hereford bull to use when making Baldys. I want easy keeping, thick growthy productive cattle. I’ve used victor719t and I was quite disappointed because of calving troubles and the calves just don’t look very impressive yet. Thought he was a good bet because he had an excellent BMI. Not sure what BMI even goes by. Someone told me that you have to use horned Herefords to make the good baldys. I’d be tempted to try but I just can’t get myself to put horns in the genetics again.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Re: What’s best Hereford bull to use when making Baldy’s

Post by Ky hills » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:07 am

I would recommend contacting MrVictorDomino that posts on this board. I believe that is a program that would give consistency and predictability. I have not used any bulls from there yet, but have seen a couple and have been impressed by them.
Consistency and maternal efficiency are some areas that I think a lot of mainstream Herefords and Angus both are lacking. It has been my experience that on average Herefords have an advantage when it comes to maternal productivity ie having/raising a calf and rebreeding within a time frame. I say all of that to say that when retaining the BWF heifers, they are likely going to be at least a little bigger and require a little more to keep up with the likely increased milk production. That being said they make some fine cows.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 pm

Josher wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am
Just looking for suggestions on which Hereford bull to use when making Baldys.
I want easy keeping, thick growthy productive cattle.
NW Saskatchewan seems like it's a long ways away and off the beaten path.
What options/studs do you have to get semen delivered?

Hardnosecattleco
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Hardnosecattleco » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:56 pm

Mark Domino 1321 there genex his epds are really nice and guys I talk to love him

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Post by holm25 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:23 am

A good Simmental with a white face will throw better calves than most Herefords IMHO.

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Angus bull chisum 255

Post by Josher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 am

Son of Butch wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:56 pm
Josher wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:32 am
Just looking for suggestions on which Hereford bull to use when making Baldys.
I want easy keeping, thick growthy productive cattle.
NW Saskatchewan seems like it's a long ways away and off the beaten path.
What options/studs do you have to get semen delivered?
Yeah we are kinda in the sticks lol. But we do have an ai rep that can get us most bulls we are looking for. He mostly deals with genex, semex, and abs.

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Josher » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am

I do really like sim angus x calves but I think I prefer Hereford angus cross for cows. Seems like those cows just work for us. Raise good calf year after year, get rebred on time and stay in the herd till there teeth wear out. Just need an ai bull that will reliably produce that for me. I had been buying those baldys as bred heifers but now I’m trying to ai them myself.

Dave
GURU
GURU

Post by Dave » Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:46 am

Check out the web site for Harrell Herefords at Baker City Oregon. I know a several of ranchers here are using their bulls to make baldy cows. I know of one guy who has 2,000 black and baldy cows and easily over 100 horned Hereford bulls.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:13 pm

Josher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am
I do really like sim angus x calves but I think I prefer Hereford angus cross for cows. Seems like those cows just work for us. Raise good calf year after year, get rebred on time and stay in the herd till there teeth wear out. Just need an ai bull that will reliably produce that for me. I had been buying those baldys as bred heifers but now I’m trying to ai them myself.
I'd prefer the baldies too.. The purebred simmi. would make a great,third cross..
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:51 pm

Josher wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:18 am
and stay in the herd till their teeth wear out.
It is a fact that crossbred cows score higher in tooth retention than purebreds.
IMO 1/3 of hybrid vigor advantage is because a healthy mouth leads to efficiently keeping cows
on a higher plane of nutrition leading to optimal reproductive performance and all the other
good stuff.

fhug
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by fhug » Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:42 pm

Contact Alvin Pawlitza at Hills Galore Stock Farm. He is in your area. Good polled Herefords.

hillsgalore@xplornet.com

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 pm

If AIing 3027 or 5216 are good options if you can find semen in them.I'm using a son of Easy Money that is as heavy muscled and big boned as you will find with good length. Will wean his first calf crop in a few weeks. The steers are big and soggy. Upstream has a polled son of Sensation that has sired calves I really like. Hard to find good, heavy muscled broad polled bulls in this area. I was talking to a breeder at moon who keeps 24 hd of bulls and like he said if you find a good quality polled bull you can't afford him. I also have a nice horned yearling sired by Aventus.

Josher
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re:

Post by Josher » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm

elkwc wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:40 pm
If AIing 3027 or 5216 are good options if you can find semen in them.I'm using a son of Easy Money that is as heavy muscled and big boned as you will find with good length. Will wean his first calf crop in a few weeks. The steers are big and soggy. Upstream has a polled son of Sensation that has sired calves I really like. Hard to find good, heavy muscled broad polled bulls in this area. I was talking to a breeder at moon who keeps 24 hd of bulls and like he said if you find a good quality polled bull you can't afford him. I also have a nice horned yearling sired by Aventus.
Very good answer. I like your suggestions. Wish there was little better ww and yw. But maybe Hereford just is slower longer growing breed.
And I’m thinking that I will just try a horned Hereford bull through ai. Do you know if when you use a horned Hereford bull to make baldies, will there be any horns in that first cross? And if I used angus bulls after that would I be safe? Really don’t like horns lol so I want to be sure.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Re:

Post by elkwc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:33 pm

Josher wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm
elkwc wrote:
Very good answer. I like your suggestions. Wish there was little better ww and yw. But maybe Hereford just is slower longer growing breed.
And I’m thinking that I will just try a horned Hereford bull through ai. Do you know if when you use a horned Hereford bull to make baldies, will there be any horns in that first cross? And if I used angus bulls after that would I be safe? Really don’t like horns lol so I want to be sure.
If you have Angus cows they should be polled.If you cross back with a PB Angus on baldies they should be polled

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Re: Re:

Post by elkwc » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:44 pm

Josher wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:11 pm
elkwc wrote:
The WW and YW on the Herefords have been as good as the Angus I use. Bought the Aventus son at 210 days of age still on his recip mother. No creep and every cattleman I asked said over 6 for sure and one thought 650. He wasn't fat. He wasn't used to eating grain so took awhile after weaning to take off. He weighed 1,120 at a year of age. He isn't near as fat as the yearlings you see in the production sales.
Last edited by elkwc on Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.