Murray grey x Hereford

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE
GURU
GURU

Post by SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE » Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 pm

msscamp wrote:
certherfbeef wrote:Any chance that cross would be too docile? I've worked with MG's. Almost need a fork up their butt to get them excited.

The MG's I have delt with were very well muscled, moderate framed and long as a freight train. And docile to the point they seemed almost dumb at times.

We have never had that problem. They are easy to work, easy to move, easy to handle. Most of the time, we open gates and try to keep up! They know where they are going and go.

There are Murray Grey's almost everywhere you want to go... from South America to Canada there are breeders fairly close by with cattle available for sale! ;-) :cboy:

Mike & LeeAnn Springer
Springer Farms Murray Grey's
http://springerfarms.com/

msscamp
wannabe
wannabe

Post by msscamp » Wed May 25, 2005 9:13 pm

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE wrote:
tapeworm wrote:
mtnman wrote:No pics, but given the moderate size of some of the Murray Greys, you idea should work real nice.

We have been talking about a "Black Hereford" in another string here, maybe you can mae a "grey Hereford" Just Joking.

The ones our neighbors had as a kid were grey baldies, rather than black, or red baldies. He had MG's for years, he always sold them real well, buyers just assumed they were Charolais, Angus cross cales.

mtnman
" buyers just assumed they were Charolais, Angus cross cales."

Thats why I say theyre just another joke breed. ONly way to sell them is if the buyers think theyre something else?? I'm sure theyre good cattle...just not enough of em to ever make an impact. Maybe I should find another word besides joke?? But that sums it up pretty good to me. Some of these MG breeders will try to make you think its the best thing going...sort of like black herefords. LOL

Actually, I have had a lot of people think they were charolais from a distance, however when I educated them on the breed they were very pleasantly surprised! I can assure you that they are no joke. All of the people I know that breed Murray Greys are able to sell all they can raise...and usually to commercial cattlemen. I have sold all the bulls I can raise,black,brown,and silver,and now am getting calls for heifers as well. I have kept a 31 head herd on my remote farm with "one" electric wire temporary fence for 5 years...they are not fence jumpers,I have moved them without "lanes" (though it would make it easier to do by myself) whenever I have needed too. People that have bought my bulls have always been very pleased.....and I have the letters from them to prove it. When I "cull" a bull or heifer yearling and send them down the road to the salebarn,I get a good price per lb. They are good mothers that give adequate milk to raise good calves,and I have no complaints. Even the bulls have good temperments and are not to "stand-offish", or too friendly.

We run ours on pasture with a one strand hot fence, also. With the exception of the occasional calf that wanders under the fence, we have had one heifer that was a fence jumper since we started breeding them back in the late 60's. We also had one bull that could (and would) jump a 6 strand barbed wire fence. Both of them went down the road and brought a good price at the salebarn. We keep all bulls that are quality and have not had any problem selling them. In fact, we have standing orders for bulls from a few people, and we don't advertise anywhere except in the herdbook. We also have no problem selling cows or heifers, and I'm not talking salebarn. We have had the occasional person who thinks they are Charlois from the color, but that has not been very often. The only problem the Murray Grey breed has is the fact that they are not promoted like they should be and the associations are fragmented, which reduces the effectiveness.

Australian Cattleman
GURU
GURU

Post by Australian Cattleman » Thu May 26, 2005 4:18 am

A few people use Murray Greys over herefords here in Australia. They cross well and are good base cows to breed something else to.
They are an excellent calving breed. Great temperament.
Have found that Murray Greys don't seem to do as well in poor country,hence some Murray Grey breeders in the tougher country use a Brahman or Bos Indicus breed over them.Here sometimes they can be mistaken for Charolais/Angus. There has been breeders here in Australia that actually have slipped a Charolais in to boost there size. This act hasn't done anything for calving ease.
Colin

greggy
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Murray grey x Hereford

Post by greggy » Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 pm

Digging up a few old threads.

Some years later, wondering if there has been more trying this cross ?

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:58 pm

susie wrote:
Tue May 24, 2005 9:46 am
Just wondering if this is a good cross for easy-keeping gentle beef cows? Are MG's on the smaller side? or does it vary alot like any breed?
I have a 14 month old Hereford heifer that I'd like to breed to get a easy keeping heifer or butchering steer. I need to have easy keepers because I'm on 4 acres, good grass, but can't support a big eater. I would llike to have 2 cows and raise the calves for beef.
If anyone has pic's of this cross I'd love thel link--
Thanks,
Susie
Heifer calf was 62 lbs and is absolutely stunning now!
224 328 329

1/2 sisters (1100 and 1200 lbs)
72 71

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re:

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:02 pm

certherfbeef wrote:
Wed May 25, 2005 12:53 pm
Any chance that cross would be too docile? I've worked with MG's. Almost need a fork up their butt to get them excited.

The MG's I have delt with were very well muscled, moderate framed and long as a freight train. And docile to the point they seemed almost dumb at times. Note: I said almost. The calves were stout little meat wagons too. Is this still an accurate description of the breed Springer? It has been over 10 years, maybe they changed with time??

There is probably more registered MG's out there than you might think. Especially if all the associations merged into one.
I just whistle and all our MGs come running into the corral. No fork needed until after the steaks are cooked :)

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:09 pm

greggy wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:39 pm
Digging up a few old threads.

Some years later, wondering if there has been more trying this cross ?
Not as common for the folks that register their cattle since a 7/8 calf is considered purebred and if the white face is still hanging on then the calf does not qualify for registration. I don't see a lot but we sure like them!

7 Lazy 11 Ranch in NV is doing quite a few Hereford x MG and selling the bulls to commercial breeders.