2019 Freezer Beef

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
holm25
Rancher
Rancher

2019 Freezer Beef

Post by holm25 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Our freezer fillers for this fall are growing good. Have four months until the one bad day in their lives.. Both are getting a little over 15lbs of feed a day each.

Gators Rule
Rancher
Rancher

Re: 2019 Freezer Beef

Post by Gators Rule » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 pm

holm25 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:41 pm
Our freezer fillers for this fall are growing good. Have four months until the one bad day in their lives.. Both are getting a little over 15lbs of feed a day each.
What’s the story on these two? Didn’t make the cut???
I stand for the flag, and kneel for the cross...

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Post by holm25 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:46 pm

Gators Rule wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:42 pm
holm25 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:41 pm
The way prices were we decided to feed these two out instead of hanging on to steers. That and these were the only two heifers (out of twenty some calves) out of our not terminal bull.

What’s the story on these two? Didn’t make the cut???

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by gcreekrch » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:04 pm

Look as though they will do the trick.
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 pm

We have a couple bulls left that never sold. Held onto them way longer than we should have but last year we couldn’t meet the demand. This year, a lot of folks lost a lot of pasture or were super late getting them out there because of planting delays.

Anyhow, in discussing them today with a big breeder in these parts, he stated that if you plan to butcher... a BULL actually tastes better than a steer? He had misunderstood us, we’ll just cut their nuts and put them in our fats but it’s intrigued me enough to consider butchering these boys and selling what we don’t need.

Says it’s the best meat we’ll ever eat. Can anyone else confirm this?

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:25 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:22 pm
We have a couple bulls left that never sold. Held onto them way longer than we should have but last year we couldn’t meet the demand. This year, a lot of folks lost a lot of pasture or were super late getting them out there because of planting delays.

Anyhow, in discussing them today with a big breeder in these parts, he stated that if you plan to butcher... a BULL actually tastes better than a steer? He had misunderstood us, we’ll just cut their nuts and put them in our fats but it’s intrigued me enough to consider butchering these boys and selling what we don’t need.

I have known guys that would grind one into hamburg, but haven't known anyone to butcher one out for steaks , roasts, ribs, etc. Curious to hear the responses.
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by southernultrablack » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 pm

Sold two bulls this year for freezer beef. 11-1200 pounds and had zero complaints about taste or quality.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm

southernultrablack wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:30 pm
Sold two bulls this year for freezer beef. 11-1200 pounds and had zero complaints about taste or quality.
Any feedback on if it’s better than a steer?

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:04 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Anyhow, in discussing them today with a big breeder in these parts,
he stated that if you plan to butcher... a BULL actually tastes better than a steer?

A bull/older animal will have a stronger beef flavor.

My guess is the fellow making the statement is a 'low' taster (fewer taste buds than average) and
needs extra strong flavors to get the same flavor satisfaction as a 'normal' taster, let alone a
super taster.

IF it really were 'the best meat you'll ever eat' it would be featured in premier restaurants.
But because he is a low taster he's not lying when he says... the best meat I've ever been able to taste.

To each their own, but his opinion is in the minority (as are low tasters)

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 am

NEFarmwife wrote:

Sometimes it is..sometimes not. I don't know how to explain it exactly but beef from an intact bull to me, usually has a 'sweeter' taste.
One we did tho, was not good at all and tasted (and chewed) like an older cull cow.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

alisonb
GURU
GURU

Post by alisonb » Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:58 am

If it's a yearling bull there shouldn't be much difference, meat may be a little leaner. A lot of European countries do not castrate these days. The older the bull gets the more the hormones come into play...they are more muscular, have less intramuscular fat, more aggressive releasing adrenaline etc. Think it's a matter of personal taste at the end of the day.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

southernultrablack
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by southernultrablack » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:54 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm
The last beef they had bought from me was a heifer so not apples to apples comparison, but still no complaints.

Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:36 am

We have butchered alot of yearling bulls. You will never know the difference.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:24 am

greybeard wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:25 am
NEFarmwife wrote:

Sometimes it is..sometimes not. I don't know how to explain it exactly but beef from an intact bull to me, usually has a 'sweeter' taste.
One we did tho, was not good at all and tasted (and chewed) like an older cull cow.
Thee best hamburger we had here was a 4 yr old bull that had a Broken leg and we salvaged him. We ground some white fat with it. Yes it had a sweeter taste to it. We have butchered several corn fed yearling bulls through the years with good results. If you want high choice or better you will need a steer or heifer for that as a bull is more apt to be low choice. Just my experiences.

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:09 am

NEFarmwife wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:16 pm
We had about a 14 month old Angus bull processed 3 years ago. It yeilded 820 lbs take home. We thought it was some of the best meat that we have had, I would not hesitate at all to feed out another young bull for a beef.