What breed 2 ?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
User avatar
alisonb
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 124 times

What breed 2 ?

Post by alisonb » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:02 pm

Has a black hide which is very thick...

Image

Image


Image


Image


Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

User avatar
holm25
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 590
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:46 am
Has thanked: 109 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by holm25 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Drakenbergers?

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16359
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm

Naturally black?
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16359
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:34 pm

holm25 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:32 pm
Drakenbergers?
Just looked them up. Looks like you nailed it...like to see a Hereford cross outa that..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
alisonb
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by alisonb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:43 pm

Yes, holm25, you got it :D . An extremely hardy breed. Noticed Australia was experimenting with crossbreeding, perhaps Redgully knows more?

Here is more info -

https://www.drakensbergers.co.za/origin.php

https://cattleinternationalseries.weebl ... erger.html



Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

andybob
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Minehead Somerset England.
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by andybob » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:51 pm

There are a number of fullblood herds in Australia, and interest has been expressed from the USA especially for polled Drakensbergers. Alacowman, there is at least one rancher in the USA breeding Hereford to Mashona for heat tolerant baldies, the cross will be similar, one of the bigger Drakensberger breeders on the Sanga website has crossed to several breeds in his commercial herd, I will see if he has any Hereford cross photos.
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16359
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:20 pm

andybob wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:51 pm
There are a number of fullblood herds in Australia, and interest has been expressed from the USA especially for polled Drakensbergers. Alacowman, there is at least one rancher in the USA breeding Hereford to Mashona for heat tolerant baldies, the cross will be similar, one of the bigger Drakensberger breeders on the Sanga website has crossed to several breeds in his commercial herd, I will see if he has any Hereford cross photos.
Thanks, like too see em..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16359
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 378 times
Been thanked: 356 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:37 pm

Braford
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:24 am
Location: Karragullen, Western Australia
Has thanked: 296 times
Been thanked: 188 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by Redgully » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm

I have never heard of them but Ken may have. Seems they are establishing them on his side of the country and suited to up north in the hot areas. Sound like a very interesting breed being unrelated to any other breed. Will keep an eye on how they go.

andybob
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Minehead Somerset England.
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by andybob » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:27 am

Redgully wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:11 pm
I have never heard of them but Ken may have. Seems they are establishing them on his side of the country and suited to up north in the hot areas. Sound like a very interesting breed being unrelated to any other breed. Will keep an eye on how they go.
Waiting for a reply from my Australian contact, hereare two interesting articles, one general, and one on the first Australian herd - https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... F_INDUSTRY

https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/20 ... 815597.htm
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

User avatar
alisonb
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4887
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:37 am
Location: South Africa
Has thanked: 159 times
Been thanked: 124 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by alisonb » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:59 am

Andybob, I came across that link (https://www.abc.net.au/local/stories/20 ... 815597.htm) when trying to see which other countries were using the Drakensberger...it was written in 2010. I could not find any follow up on it. Perhaps your Australian contact or Ken will know more.
Few is the number who think with their own minds and feel with their own hearts. Albert Einstein
Never trouble trouble till trouble troubles you!

andybob
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1482
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:40 pm
Location: Minehead Somerset England.
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by andybob » Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:28 am

Here is the link to the Australian Drakensberger facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Drakensberger/ ... ADK7Uz3Pml_ I am still waiting for my contact to get back to me.
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

gaurus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 204
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:32 pm
Been thanked: 9 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by gaurus » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm

I just don't see how they are any better than Brangus/Ultra Black :cboy:

Muddy
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 2:08 pm
Location: Cold place!!!
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 50 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by Muddy » Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:43 pm

gaurus wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm
I just don't see how they are any better than Brangus/Ultra Black :cboy:
How so? The drakensbergers posses several advantages that Brangus and ultrablacks didn't have. One: drakensbergers have less ear than brimmers. Two: the drakensbergers appears to be well muscled than most Brangus. Three: drakensberger holds better heterosis if they are crossed to Black Angus. Four: they're perfect candidate in some areas where the heat tolerance is needed but the ears are docked. Gotta think out of the box.

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: What breed 2 ?

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:51 am

Muddy wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:43 pm
gaurus wrote:
Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:17 pm
I just don't see how they are any better than Brangus/Ultra Black :cboy:
How so? The drakensbergers posses several advantages that Brangus and ultrablacks didn't have. One: drakensbergers have less ear than brimmers. Two: the drakensbergers appears to be well muscled than most Brangus. Three: drakensberger holds better heterosis if they are crossed to Black Angus. Four: they're perfect candidate in some areas where the heat tolerance is needed but the ears are docked. Gotta think out of the box.
Or you might be better off with something thats all ready available and adjusted to the area your in. Just a thought.

Post Reply