Angus: Countdown is on $M

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Angus: Countdown is on $M

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 29, 2019 7:19 pm

Tomorrow those of us with registered cattle will wake up with whole new herds. My breed leading $B cows will no longer be worthy of mention. I wonder who the $M value leader will be?

A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Re: Angus: Countdown is on $M

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 29, 2019 7:28 pm

I’m interested.

I left my “cow bible” at work so I could take note in the morning. I printed out my old reports today. I’m gonna go rainman on my old maternal numbers.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm

And so we can have fun with this... angus only...

Which top 5 bulls does one consider “maternal”?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm

When I retired, I returned to my home state of Kentucky. I had purchased a rundown farm a few years earlier. I decided to put some cattle on it. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer. Renovated the farm, rebuilt the infrastructure, and fenced it. I started out with 4 gigantic cows that I bought from my brother. I enjoyed it enough to decide to move up. I ask a local vet, what breed do you recommend. He said "Simmental". I have often thought that I would have been just as happy with Angus. But after spending a few years on Cattle Today, I am very glad that I did not choose Angus.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 29, 2019 7:35 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:31 pm
When I retired, I returned to my home state of Kentucky. I had purchased a rundown farm a few years earlier. I decided to put some cattle on it. I purchased a Cat D3G Dozer. Renovated the farm, rebuilt the infrastructure, and fenced it. I started out with 4 gigantic cows that I bought from my brother. I enjoyed it enough to decide to move up. I ask a local vet, what breed do you recommend. He said "Simmental". I have often thought that I would have been just as happy with Angus. But after spending a few years on Cattle Today, I am very glad that I did not choose Angus.
Me too.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Wed May 29, 2019 8:13 pm

Tomorrow those of us with registered cattle will wake up with whole new herds. My breed leading $B cows will no longer be worthy of mention. I wonder who the $M value leader will be?
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cattle tomorrow will be the same as they were yesterday.
Respective registry number tweaking/crunching won't change reality an iota. The only thing affected will be your ego. Been there, done that. ;-)
Those who have a high percentage of dtrs bred to calve by 24 months, never have to touch throughout their lifetime and produced a decent coupon for at least 10 years.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 29, 2019 8:41 pm

Actual or numbered? A friend with RA was concerned that their association's herdbuilder and gridmaker or whatever they came up with only highlighted big boy's herds after development.

Logically, if chasing $B wrecked the breed, looking at lesser cattle in carcass and growth would be the first sift towards $M, then HP would start the story and ability to hang with the 365 production for enough years would round it out. But the convenience traits need to be there for good feet and legs, udders, disposition, adequate but not excessive milk ... My guess, EXT influence will be noted in the new value.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
:clap: :bang: :lol:

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 29, 2019 8:46 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:13 pm
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but your cattle tomorrow will be the same as they were yesterday.
Respective registry number tweaking/crunching won't change reality an iota. The only thing affected will be your ego. Been there, done that. ;-)
Those who have a high percentage of dtrs bred to calve by 24 months, never have to touch throughout their lifetime and produced a decent coupon for at least 10 years.
the original post was tongue in cheek. I don't take myself serious enough to find my identity in four legged beasts. Tomorrow I will wake up with the pleasure of having God's creation in my back yard, regardless of their numbers or pedigree, it's a huge blessing.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 29, 2019 8:50 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:29 pm
And so we can have fun with this... angus only...

I don't know anymore :bang:

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Well, if I had to choose from my experience...

Styles Upgrade (also Up N coming)
N Bar Emulation
Treasure
Hoover Dam

???

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 29, 2019 9:07 pm

My phone is almost dead and I’m “supervising” but I’m actually interested in how the $M plays out into what we correlate maternal.

A speaking engagement I went to, stated that $W was the maternal factor. Which I understand... but how will this al play out and what weighted average will each trait factor into the $M?

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed May 29, 2019 9:12 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 8:44 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
:clap: :bang: :lol:
:cboy:

Observation: there is plenty of Angus bashing around this crazy place from non-Angus folks. You read it - no azz, the black hide caper, they can't handle heat, they are all propped up by promotion, etc. Etc.

But you Angus folks also do a lot of bashing. Mostly disparaging the Angus Association. Hardly a day goes by that Angus breeders are not condemning the accuracy or administration of the AAA EPDs. Angus folks also like to pick certain bulls and beat the stuffings out of them.

All in all, I am sincere in having reached the point that I am truly glad I did not pick Angus. At one time, I would have been totally happy with a herd of Angus in my pasture. But I am being totally candid, this forum has not portrayed them in a good light.
Diogenes.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm

There are bound to differences of opinions when you’re dealing with a breed as popular as Angus that attracts so many breeders from various backgrounds with divergent goals and objectives.

Niche breeds aren’t similarly burdened.
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm

TennesseeTuxedo wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 9:24 pm
There are bound to differences of opinions when you’re dealing with a breed as popular as Angus that attracts so many breeders from various backgrounds with divergent goals and objectives.

Niche breeds aren’t similarly burdened.
But you expect the competition to always be gunning for the breed on the top of the heap. In this case, you guys are eating your own. Lol
Last edited by Bright Raven on Wed May 29, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Diogenes.