Interesting article on angus

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Interesting article on angus

Post by Hook2.0 » Wed May 29, 2019 9:55 am

Proud to be a multiplier

NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Interesting article on angus

Post by NEFarmwife » Wed May 29, 2019 10:06 am

That is why changes were made. The association realized what was happening.

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by gaurus » Wed May 29, 2019 12:28 pm

Do we really need an article to know that Baldies are better cows than pure Angus?

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm

How dare you imply that Angus is inferior in any way to crossbred cattle!
"While we recognize that the subject did not steal any horses he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

gaurus
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by gaurus » Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm
Balies, Super Baldies cows are money making machines

I am not sure how a "Terminal Line" Angus is really bad at all, I mean for the Angus purists that have old lines like Wye genetics on their cows, I am sure that crossing them Terminal Angus bulls will only bring them more $$.. Or am I missing something here?

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Wed May 29, 2019 4:42 pm

gaurus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:50 pm
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 1:26 pm
Balies, Super Baldies cows are money making machines

I am not sure how a "Terminal Line" Angus is really bad at all, I mean for the Angus purists that have old lines like Wye genetics on their cows, I am sure that crossing them Terminal Angus bulls will only bring them more $$.. Or am I missing something here?
Terminal in the sense that lower fertility and other problems plagues the females; feet, udders, disposition,... I think that
you will find that any folks with much Wye in the herd are minimal. Crossbreeding is a good tool for making end product cattle.

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I saw this earlier today on Facebook. In our thread that got locked we discussed epd's and the chase of extremes, which most agree has been a disaster for the breed. But I wonder, how do we correct it, everyone claims they have maternal cows, maternal genetics, maternal this or that.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Hook2.0 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm
I saw this earlier today on Facebook. In our thread that got locked we discussed epd's and the chase of extremes, which most agree has been a disaster for the breed. But I wonder, how do we correct it, everyone claims they have maternal cows, maternal genetics, maternal this or that.
The epd’s need to be revamped. If im not mistaken, each breed association sets the standard baseline. I like angus, but they aren't the perfect breed the association claims them to be
My .02
Proud to be a multiplier

Cornfed01
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Cornfed01 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:23 pm

Poultry and swine industries aren't what I want to see happen with the beef industry.

I do agree with the author however, in that the current trend is likely biting the breed in the butt. I'm sure he has the data to back the statement up. Subjectively, it appears that way just looking at herds across the local area. His calling for distinction of lines is the new attempt of the Angus breed (he's involved with Black Opal) in having their cake and eating it also.

There are breeds within breeds and you can cross that for a commercial or terminal animal. But you'll never get the heterosis of crossing outside the breed.

I can moreso understand the continental breeds trying to focus on improving maternal traits in an attempt to take more of the female market share, since they dominate the herd.

I find it interesting that Angus breeders have focused so much on terminal traits. But that goes back to CAB and the influence on turning hides black.

Guess they are starting to see the hickup in the race to be the terminal breed of choice plan.

haase
GURU
GURU

Post by haase » Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pm

There has been two kings in the cattle industry, first were Herfords, then came the Angus, common sense tells you that that is a hard cross to beat, just my :2cents:

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Wed May 29, 2019 7:01 pm

haase wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:30 pm
There has been two kings in the cattle industry, first were Herfords, then came the Angus, common sense tells you that that is a hard cross to beat, just my :2cents:
A old man told me years ago.""that I'd never do any better than a herf/ angus cross""" and it seems if your not chasing rabbits are trying to reinvent the wheel..it's a great cross too pay the bills..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Cornfed01
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Cornfed01 » Wed May 29, 2019 7:08 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:08 pm
CreekAngus wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 6:03 pm
The epd’s need to be revamped. If im not mistaken, each breed association sets the standard baseline. I like angus, but they aren't the perfect breed the association claims them to be
My .02
I think if you pay attention to the EN, you can identify more "maternal" genetics, then I select from there.
haase wrote:
That they are. But we could get into a 10 page argument of what to put over them.

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Wed May 29, 2019 7:17 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:01 pm
haase wrote:
A old man told me years ago.""that I'd never do any better than a herf/ angus cross""" and it seems if your not chasing rabbits are trying to reinvent the wheel..it's a great cross too pay the bills..
Yep. I like a baldy. Always have. Like a super baldy even better. I’ve got a handful of F1 Braford heifers I’ve raised that I bred to a SimAngus bull. I really like the results of that too. Ain’t got nothing bad to say about Angus. But I like a cross for what I do.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

bball
GURU
GURU

Post by bball » Wed May 29, 2019 7:50 pm

I am really liking this thread. I appreciate and value baldies. Just need to get my hands on some Herefords from a certain gentleman down in KY to improve my Hereford girls.

Yes, it's that MrVictorDomino stock
We do not see things as they are; we see things as we are. -Anais Nin
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. -Aesop

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Wed May 29, 2019 8:03 pm

bball wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 7:50 pm
I am really liking this thread. I appreciate and value baldies. Just need to get my hands on some Herefords from a certain gentleman down in KY to improve my Hereford girls.

Yes, it's that MrVictorDomino stock
Stand in line.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!