On reputations and such......

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

On reputations and such......

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu May 23, 2019 6:25 pm

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because over the past week, I've been called all sorts of things, been told that my operation is basically run out of a tent, using a lawn mower for a tractor and that even in my "Wildest" cattle dreams I could never hold a candle to the "Big Boys" and I guess their rather large, ahem.....capital assets. LOL!

I've been told our cattle are morbidly obese, their EPD's suck, that they would collapse after 5 minutes on a "real man's ranch" blah, blah, blah.

Well, I've taken that to heart and decided to post this video of a little gal we have, she is not "bench", but she's also not the star player at Brookhill, she's somewhere in between. I would like to share the Colonel's special recipe, and post the best gals and their AAA numbers, but just can't, can't divulge the game plan, right? LOL! Back to this one, she's just a good solid female. Will I use her for ET, probably not, will she become an excellent cow, definitely.

http://bit.ly/2QlLKRQ

She is out of a Eurotia line cow, her sire is Hoover Dam, and now she is pretty far along with a Bubs Southern Charm calf inside her. I'm hoping for a female calf, but if it's a bull, he will be "dam charming" to say the least.

Folks, before you start trashing a program and telling everyone else in the community to give up because they will never be DVF or Boyd's, consider that some old hillbilly such as myself might, just might, be capable of producing something quite nice. People who have not considered AI, or read such comments might say to themselves, "I guess they are right, I guess I suck and always will suck" Do you think Ron said that? Nope, that's why he has such exceptional cattle, he didn't waste time listening to naysayers and the "static noise", he just did what made total sense, which is to breed to the best that you can, and let the chips fall where they may, and they usually fall in your favor too. What you get rewarded on is hard work.

This heifer is the result of hard work, not something that popped up overnight, and not something that was store bought. She and her future calf had some planning involved.

Also, if she doesn't convince you to use more Hoover Dam, nothing will.

"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Mod2
-

Re: On reputations and such......

Post by Mod2 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:29 pm

Enough get along or move on.
To all parties involved.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm

I have modeled my operation in the spitting image of Fire Sweep Simmentals in Missouri. Kris has been here about 4 times over the last 6 years. She is the one who told me how to set up my "sanctuary ". For the last four years, she arranged my matings. She tells me what bulls to buy. I do the grunt work but she has done the planning. No one here has ever heard me take the credit.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu May 23, 2019 6:53 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm
I have modeled my operation in the spitting image of Fire Sweep Simmentals in Missouri. Kris has been here about 4 times over the last 6 years. She is the one who told me how to set up my "sanctuary ". For the last four years, she arranged my matings. She tells me what bulls to buy. I do the grunt work but she has done the planning. No one here has ever heard me take the credit.
Interesting!

I've been given plenty of advice, but there are only a very few that I truly listen to, Charles Herbster is the main person for me. He has a program that most people couldn't even dream up, much less assemble. Several top seed stock producers that I have chatted with, who have had business dealings with him, speak of him in the highest regard. That means something to me. He basically has created the equivalent of a prized art collection, but with Angus sires and donors. He puts his money where his mouth is...

Creek thinks I'm a lost dog in high weeds, LOL! and not maliciously either, but I know what is hitting the ground in front of me and it's hard to argue with what Charles has advised, it's been spot on. I should have heeded his advice and gone all in on Harvestor, but it's not too late to get more on the ground, especially with ET. Harvestor daughters are VERY special.

I've had enough PM's and private phone calls with people that have done the same, which is to follow the advice of Charles, and there is a general consensus, and it's very positive. They are reaping the rewards for paying attention to his moves.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Ron, it's been my observation that a lot of seed stock operations are hindered by a couple of situations, one being the family, now before everyone on here screams at me let me finish. Many operations have a lot of hands in the old honey pot, there are a lot of mouths to feed, and hence a lot of decisions about breeding are geared more for short term results. I've spoken to several people who have said, "I would like to go in this direction, but Dad or Granddad runs the show, and they won't listen to me" Hence the opportunity to advance genetics is stopped dead in its tracks. Granddad owns the property, the cattle, and the purse strings, no decisions are made without him. Problem is, Granddad has lived his life, he's comfortable, he doesn't have any urge or need to take chances, to try something new or different. That discourages a lot of people from even getting started with purebreds or even a commercial herd.

Next is business partners. Let's say you have a handful of doctors and they decide the horse business is a tad out of range financially but registered Angus is doable. Let's next assume that they hire a manager and labor, and the manager says to them, let's breed to Sire A and so on, they all agree or even let's buy embryos on Cow such and such, they also agree. Now let's tell those Docs, "you need to sit tight, for 5-10 years until we have a winner" that's when the rubber meets the road, most would not be too excited with that plan. I mean, who is willing to wait that long for a return in this day and age? They might be funding the whole show, but there is a limit to their patience. It's not limited to Docs, you can have country music stars or Nascar drivers that are investors too. Either way, having investors puts you at a disadvantage if you think out of the box.

Let's also assume a partner wants out, they can wreak havoc, or even cause a liquidation on a herd. If one investor pulls out, the rest will also consider it too, and you are toast. Unless you have deep pockets.

When one can be wholly independent in their breeding decisions and operation, and they are not beholden to any extraneous influences that could be compromising, that's when REAL results start to show up in a herd.

Operations that "MUST" please their clients and produce a certain animal in order to keep the lights on, rarely take chances on trying to breed those game-changing outliers, and as a result rarely ever have those outliers appear in their herd, at least not as a result of their own breeding.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 23, 2019 8:10 pm

I have to confess. I have not been a risk taker. Upon counsel with Kris, we have mostly stayed with bulls that have a proven track record.

In regard to investing, I have sold stock to some folks in the contract trucking industry. I have concerns about whether they have a good gripe on their objectives. As long as they don't leave me wondering whether they abuse their stock, I don't make it my business.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 pm

Some people just know what bull works with what cow. John Cook of Cook's Cattle Service just happens to be one of those people. Anyone that breeds for carcass needs to look him up. He's bred a young bull that's making some real noise at GAR, top 1% and two more in the top 10%.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Thu May 23, 2019 8:41 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 8:14 pm
Some people just know what bull works with what cow. John Cook of Cook's Cattle Service just happens to be one of those people. Anyone that breeds for carcass needs to look him up. He's bred a young bull that's making some real noise at GAR, top 1% and two more in the top 10%.
Yup, and there are some matings that you'd think would be good and just don't work
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by CreekAngus » Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 am

Bright Raven wrote:
Intelligent people model operations (businesses) after those who are successful and try to improve on those successes. Brilliant people, the outliers, they see success and some how get out ahead of it (Bill Gates). Fools see successful people and believe that being a contrarian will make themselves a success. I love to listen and learn from people smarter than me, like you Ron, I have modeled my small time operation after successful farms.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:22 am

CreekAngus wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 1:22 am
Bright Raven wrote:
Intelligent people model operations (businesses) after those who are successful and try to improve on those successes. Brilliant people, the outliers, they see success and some how get out ahead of it (Bill Gates). Fools see successful people and believe that being a contrarian will make themselves a success. I love to listen and learn from people smarter than me, like you Ron, I have modeled my small time operation after successful farms.
Speaking of Gates, here is one of his favorite reads,

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm

CreekAngus wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Good operators learned at an early age to listen to those who had been successful before. Unfortunately that is not a trait Brookhill has. Good advice runs off him like water off a ducks back. Best wishes big boy and give yourself another pat on the back
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri May 24, 2019 2:30 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 2:08 pm
CreekAngus wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
Good operators learned at an early age to listen to those who had been successful before. Unfortunately that is not a trait Brookhill has. Good advice runs off him like water off a ducks back. Best wishes big boy and give yourself another pat on the back
I love naysayers, and proving them wrong is awfully rewarding. You either go big or go home.

Lot's of the old "experts" who failed to change or tried to hold on to the past are seeing an absolute auction sign in their front lots, as well as the equipment heading out on a rollback.

What I learned at an early age is to bet against the crowd, and go all in when you do it.

I'm just having fun with this, Ron knows all about my major bets, this is not a major bet.

JWBrahman
GURU
GURU

Post by JWBrahman » Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pm

TexasBred wrote:

TB, Brookhill Angus is a female.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm

JWBrahman wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:34 pm
TexasBred wrote:

TB, Brookhill Angus is a female.
It's all making sense now. :D
Last edited by ALACOWMAN on Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri May 24, 2019 4:03 pm

Hook2.0 wrote:
Fri May 24, 2019 3:57 pm
Why are you trolling?
Making Cattle Today Great Again!
Sometimes you do have to throw out the babies with the bath water.