Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12121
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Bigfoot » Thu May 09, 2019 1:24 pm

I'd really like some 1/2 blood brahman replacement heifers. Impossible to find in my area. I see them ran for sale in various places for some extremely high prices. I get it on the F1 brafords, and to extent on the F1 brangus. Provided they are out of knockout good cows, and a good bull.

1. I know asking and getting are 2 different things, but if any halfblood brahman female commands those prices, why are there not more of them available.

2. I might abandon the search. It'd be cheaper and easier for me to cut about 25 cows from my herd and breed them to a brahman bull. I just want 12-15 heifers anyway. Take my hit on the steers, and move on.


Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7826
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Brute 23 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:14 pm

What do you consider an extremely high price?

I think it's a mixture of people not wanting to deal with Brahmans. Plus, alot of the people purposely breeding the F1s are doing it to supply their own commercial herds. If they do have quality F1s to sell the can usually sell them off their front porch. There is no reason to really advertise.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12121
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Bigfoot » Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm

You make an excellent point on the advertising. I have never, would I ever consider advertising a horse for sale.

I see a lot of 10 month old heifers ran for 1500 to 1800, with some higher than that. If thats the going price, then thats fine. With the price that high, i would think supply would increase.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

User avatar
Ky hills
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2030
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 5:54 pm
Location: Clark County, KY
Has thanked: 310 times
Been thanked: 181 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Ky hills » Thu May 09, 2019 3:03 pm

Don’t see them very often anymore, but used to be some Brahman bulls around. Used to pass by a farm that ran a bull, thought some about stopping by and seeing if they would contact me when or if they sold the calves, but never did.
It’s not the same as f1 but from time to time I see some ear calves sell at the stockyards. I have picked up some right nice heifers over time that way. Most are Santa Gertrudis in this area but are starting to see some Brangus type too.
Picked this young Gert and a couple Hereford heifers up about 2 months ago.
Image

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7826
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Brute 23 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:36 pm

Bigfoot wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:48 pm
You make an excellent point on the advertising. I have never, would I ever consider advertising a horse for sale.

I see a lot of 10 month old heifers ran for 1500 to 1800, with some higher than that. If thats the going price, then thats fine. With the price that high, i would think supply would increase.
That's about what they run. That Queens of the South Sale is about as good as I have seen for quality and price.

It kind of depends how bad you want to get in it. Buying a bull would put you in the game long term and you would know exactly what you are making.

AI would be cool also if you are familiar with it.

There are some cross bred heifers that sell lower but the tend to favor a hair more than 1/2 brahman IMO.

I'm partial to breeding my own stuff. It's just rewarding to me. We put our Brahman bulls across some commercial cows this last year and it paid off.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16443
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 440 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu May 09, 2019 7:01 pm

Raised my own F1 Braford in the 80s, for personal use ..could have sold every heifer right off the tit..with the Angus craze, they are a little harder too find around """"here"""" right now..outside of the internet...course I know you figured it out but,if you were to go the bull route..use all your solid top end cows...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
Bigfoot
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12121
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:31 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 113 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Bigfoot » Fri May 10, 2019 9:45 am

I may be on to some half bloods out of mixed breed commercial cows in north Louisiana. Not exactly what i wanted, but I bet my wife said the same thing the day we married.
Your not a small business owner. Your a stay at home mom trapped in a pyramid scheme.

crimsoncrazy
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:12 am
Location: Central Oklahoma

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by crimsoncrazy » Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 am

Probably hard to find because the heifers sell well but take a big hit on the steers.

User avatar
Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty
Posts: 24182
Joined: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Big Thicket East Texas
Has thanked: 191 times
Been thanked: 535 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Caustic Burno » Sat May 11, 2019 6:55 am

crimsoncrazy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 am
Probably hard to find because the heifers sell well but take a big hit on the steers.
The steers will sale middle of the pack at the barn and for a heck of a lot more than back forty cattle.
The heifers you can name your price sitting on the porch.
Big reason that a lot of people aren’t doing it is quality grey Brahman heifers are gold to purchase.
It takes a thick checkbook to build a herd of Brimmer girls.
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

User avatar
Brute 23
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7826
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:59 pm
Location: South Texas Gulf Coast
Has thanked: 104 times
Been thanked: 98 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by Brute 23 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:57 am

The price will depend on your area. Quality F1 bulls will sell good depending on where you are. The tiger bulls sell a little less but a red or black F1 will sell up there real close, here. Composite breeds can sell real good. My family just sold some beefmaster bull calves that were #550 straight off the cow and got 1.69-1.79.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

T & B farms
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 374
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 pm
Location: SW kansas
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 54 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by T & B farms » Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am

This is something I’ve thought about a lot. Everyone keeps talking me out of it. I would really like to 10 straws on some of my better angus cows and see what happens. I’ve saw a lot of Brahman cows with horrible udders. Is this something they are known for?
What does a calf look like out of a full blood angus cow and a gray Brahman bull?

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 252
Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:45 am
Has thanked: 10 times
Been thanked: 25 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by DCA farm » Sat May 11, 2019 9:55 am

Around here they sell a lot of them they Always sell high always 1/2 bloods don’t go for as much as the full blood and 3/4 but they still go on the high side of the marke there is a man selling (30) 3/4 blood and 1/2 blood replacements right from his house for $1200-1300 a head somebody ask him why he don’t send them to a sale and get them gone quicker he said cause they sell their selves right out of the pasture they thrive in south Louisiana. Go for a ride around here 75% of people will have a few in there herds

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16443
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 440 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat May 11, 2019 10:21 am

DCA farm wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:55 am
Around here they sell a lot of them they Always sell high always 1/2 bloods don’t go for as much as the full blood and 3/4 but they still go on the high side of the marke there is a man selling (30) 3/4 blood and 1/2 blood replacements right from his house for $1200-1300 a head somebody ask him why he don’t send them to a sale and get them gone quicker he said cause they sell their selves right out of the pasture they thrive in south Louisiana. Go for a ride around here 75% of people will have a few in there herds
If I lived in So.Louisiana..that's all I'd have..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16443
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 440 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat May 11, 2019 10:26 am

T & B farms wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 9:31 am
This is something I’ve thought about a lot. Everyone keeps talking me out of it. I would really like to 10 straws on some of my better angus cows and see what happens. I’ve saw a lot of Brahman cows with horrible udders. Is this something they are known for?
What does a calf look like out of a full blood angus cow and a gray Brahman bull?
they have some with bottle tits,had a few myself.brahmans are heavy milkers.but you have to do some background on both parents cause you'll find that in some of the Herefords...seen a lot of polled with bottle tits..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16443
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 440 times
Been thanked: 415 times

Re: Discussion on 1/2 blood brahman

Post by ALACOWMAN » Sat May 11, 2019 10:33 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:55 am
crimsoncrazy wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:17 am
Probably hard to find because the heifers sell well but take a big hit on the steers.
The steers will sale middle of the pack at the barn and for a heck of a lot more than back forty cattle.
The heifers you can name your price sitting on the porch.
Big reason that a lot of people aren’t doing it is quality grey Brahman heifers are gold to purchase.
It takes a thick checkbook to build a herd of Brimmer girls.
[/quote
You right, even finding good Hereford females resonable The ones around here anyway, are out if registered stock ..and they don't like to bargain..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Post Reply