Bull market sucks

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Bull market sucks

Post by Lazy M » Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am

Picked up a very nice 18 mo Angus bull from a very reputable breeder at an auction last week. I had him pegged as the best of the group and picked him up for $2050. Not sure what the implications are for the cattle market as a whole, but things aren't good if high quality bulls are selling so poorly..
His epds for anyone interested:
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... XXBw%3d%3d



User avatar
True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9043
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:29 pm
Location: Middle Georgia
Has thanked: 150 times
Been thanked: 372 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by True Grit Farms » Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm

From 10 head to a 1,000 head everyone is a bull breeder. No one has anything that someone else can't have, is the problem in the bull marketing.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 4895
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 34 times
Been thanked: 270 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu May 09, 2019 1:07 pm

Yep, and every bull calf is a keeper.
“The dream is ended- this is the morning.”

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16094
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu May 09, 2019 7:22 pm

True Grit Farms wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 1:00 pm
From 10 head to a 1,000 head everyone is a bull breeder. No one has anything that someone else can't have, is the problem in the bull marketing.
its a problem for the breeders,but it gives the commercial man the options on adding some great genetics, to their herd..and not have to mortgage the farm..but your right, all this competition in one market had to pile up..
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Hook2.0
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 781
Joined: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:55 am
Location: NE Tennessee
Has thanked: 77 times
Been thanked: 111 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Hook2.0 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Nothing stopping joe schmoe from breeding his papered cow to some fancy ai bull..
anyone can do it. Some just talk more about it more to make it seem special.
Proud to be a multiplier

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Lazy M » Thu May 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am
Picked up a very nice 18 mo Angus bull from a very reputable breeder at an auction last week. I had him pegged as the best of the group and picked him up for $2050. Not sure what the implications are for the cattle market as a whole, but things aren't good if high quality bulls are selling so poorly..
His epds for anyone interested:
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... XXBw%3d%3d
Image
Here he is. Tear him up, he was cheap. :cowboy:

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16094
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm

Well Seeing him..I don't think he was cheap...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:26 pm
Lazy M wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 11:42 am
Picked up a very nice 18 mo Angus bull from a very reputable breeder at an auction last week. I had him pegged as the best of the group and picked him up for $2050. Not sure what the implications are for the cattle market as a whole, but things aren't good if high quality bulls are selling so poorly..
His epds for anyone interested:
https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... XXBw%3d%3d
Image
Here he is. Tear him up, he was cheap. :cowboy:
I like him. Good job and a very good buy.
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 350 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 pm

Long. Not bad for the price plus I don't trust pictures to do them justice. Especially a cell.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
farmerjan
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2442
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:54 pm
Location: Shenandoah ValleyVirginia
Has thanked: 148 times
Been thanked: 68 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by farmerjan » Thu May 09, 2019 8:49 pm

Looks "right decent" to me !!!!!!! He's got some shape to his rump too, I like that.
I have to agree that there are an awful lot of bulls on the market today. And the cull bull market is off, so no reason to ship a good older bull if you have cows that he can be used on. We have 2 that are calving ease that we bought 2 different years back at least 6-8 yrs ago. I try to be sure they are not used on their own daughters, but have been used on granddaughters. No good reason to ship them because we breed our heifers a little older/bigger and they can handle these bulls. Both have good dispositions, and we have kept several of their calves off first calf heifers in the past. There will be a time to send them, but with prices having been in the 3-5,000 range up until this past year, we felt we could get some good use out of them. The calves are not so small out of mature cows as we have put them with some cows also. We also have a bull we have kept for at least 8-9 years, he throws nice calves, and is easy to work around. As long as they do the job, and the cull bull market is down, they can stay. It doesn't cost much to keep them as they have done all their growing and they laze away when not with the cows working. We are lucky to have places to make sure they are not used on their own daughters, and often with the older bulls, they don't see any of their kin until at least 3-4 generations off. Not perfect, but why replace something you like the off spring from, if you don't need to? Yep, I hear genetic improvement and all that, but if the cows are putting good calves on the ground, that grow decent and the crop is some - what uniform, so you can sell in groups of 5-10 or more, why change things?

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Lazy M » Thu May 09, 2019 8:53 pm

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:33 pm
Well Seeing him..I don't think he was cheap...
You're probably right. What do you see as his main weaknesses?

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16094
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 224 times
Been thanked: 169 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by ALACOWMAN » Thu May 09, 2019 9:12 pm

Just like a little more depth,bone, and muscle definition.. But he's not a bad looking bull,and still got plenty of growing to do..gotta good crest on him a looks like a bull
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Lazy M
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1321
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:38 pm
Location: KY
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 85 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Lazy M » Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 pm
Long. Not bad for the price plus I don't trust pictures to do them justice. Especially a cell.
Also purchased a couple Sim bulls from Roy. I took a couple pics of them, but I'd definitely be doing them and Roy a disservice if they were posted :lol:

User avatar
Bright Raven
GURU
GURU
Posts: 9252
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:57 pm
Location: Kentucky
Has thanked: 350 times
Been thanked: 353 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by Bright Raven » Thu May 09, 2019 9:20 pm

Lazy M wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:18 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 8:42 pm
Long. Not bad for the price plus I don't trust pictures to do them justice. Especially a cell.
Also purchased a couple Sim bulls from Roy. I took a couple pics of them, but I'd definitely be doing them and Roy a disservice if they were posted :lol:
I think you are very wise. :cboy:

He has a great program. One of the real geniuses in the business.

I wouldn't put his last name up. :stop:
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

User avatar
TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 12803
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm
Location: Live in Franklin, TN farm in Warsaw, KY
Has thanked: 336 times
Been thanked: 295 times

Re: Bull market sucks

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Thu May 09, 2019 9:29 pm

Rogers?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Post Reply