Heat Tolerance

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
ncboy34
Cowhand
Cowhand

Heat Tolerance

Post by ncboy34 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:46 am

I run mostly baldie or angus cows. I'm in western North Carolina but things still get pretty hot and humid here. Been looking into breeding in some better heat tolerance while still having good grass genetics for grass finishing. Any suggestions on what breeds would best accomplish this? Thought about Brangus, Senepol, South Poll, etc. I would more than likely still continue to retain heifers as well. Thoughts?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Re: Heat Tolerance

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:01 am

Might see if there are if there are any Angus Plus breeders in your area.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

cbcr
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by cbcr » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:34 am

Another breed you may want to consider would be Braford

ncboy34
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ncboy34 » Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm

Any thoughts on breeds like Senepol, South Poll, or Mashona? Would Charolais help with heat tolerance at all?

JMJ Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by JMJ Farms » Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 pm

ncboy34 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm
Any thoughts on breeds like Senepol, South Poll, or Mashona? Would Charolais help with heat tolerance at all?
I’ve had one Senepol. And numerous Charolais. Never noticed a huge difference between them and the others. Neighbor had a few Barzona cows he bought somewhere. They were good mommas and he said they would graze when everything else was in the shade. But that’s about all I know about them.
Until we remember that the left wing and the right wing belong to the same bird and we come together as a nation then this country is in for more turmoil - Jogeephus

kenny thomas
GURU
GURU

Post by kenny thomas » Fri May 03, 2019 8:35 pm

Senepol does good till you try to sell them. Huge discount price in my area. Hard to get 1/2 price here.
My thoughts only, don't bet the farm on them. KT

greybeard
Mentor
Mentor

Post by greybeard » Fri May 03, 2019 9:09 pm

ncboy34 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 7:46 pm
My Char/Sims do fine here, and spend no time lollygaggin in the pond..never seen a single one get any closer to water than to get a drink.except when it floods.they're good swimmers.
"For evil to flourish, all that is required is for good men to do nothing" Burke
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
It ain't easy being a used cow salesman.

WinterSpringsFarm
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by WinterSpringsFarm » Sat May 04, 2019 4:27 am

Red Angus.

JMER1533
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by JMER1533 » Sat May 04, 2019 8:24 am

I have Registered South Poll and Red Angus. South Poll are an excellent choice unless your marketing plan solely revolves around selling calves at the sale barn. My south poll don’t get anything but mineral and grass and do great on body condition, fly resistance, heat tolerance and best of all to me is their disposition, even the bulls.
My red angus fit the same bill but that’s because I focused on those specific traits and moderate frame, lower milk, slick hair off well, in that breed. Not all breeders of RA focus on that whereas South Poll the vast majority are focused on that.

ncboy34
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by ncboy34 » Sat May 04, 2019 9:48 am

I've been looking into the south poll. They seem to fit best with what I want to do. My only concern is that in transitioning to grass finishing I'll still be selling calves at the sale barn some. Less and less hopefully. Do the south poll calves get discounted that much? What is the performance like of brahman cross cattle in grass based systems?

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Sat May 04, 2019 10:16 am

Bonsmara are very heat tolerant and when you put a good black Angus bull on them you cant hardly tell the difference.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

JMER1533
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by JMER1533 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:06 pm

The discount will vary but my opinion, we shouldn’t worry as much about a discount at the sale barn if our primary marketing plan plan is to sell to others (SP are in high demand) or to a grass finishing operation or as grass finished beef. If a grass genetics marketing and operational plan is followed, the sale barn should become a very minor factor in determining your income in the long term. You also could/should look more at $/acre, fitting more of the efficient smaller cows per acre.
With all that said, I understand the immediate term concern of discounts. Maybe cross breed with a moderate frame angus bull to increase $/pound in the near term.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat May 04, 2019 1:38 pm

Angus that shed early will do the same and sell better than some breeds mentioned in Carolina sale barns.

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Sat May 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Backbone Ranch in Texas runs Murray Grey cattle. They do really good there. Bred from an Australian environment originally so they do great in the heat and still have dark pigment on their skin.

I bet you could ask him more about the heat. They seem to do fine here in Oregon too and I finish mine on grass. They cross really good with Angus and Baldies too.

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Post by True Grit Farms » Sun May 05, 2019 6:38 am

Reinventing the wheel is a waste of time. I like to work on adverages, and on adverage Angus cattle are hard to beat.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.