Bull Sale: Quality

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:53 pm

Silver wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:48 pm
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:41 pm
Easy to get 700+ WW when you wean at 9 months, and "adjust" for 205.
Only someone trying to fudge the numbers would pull a stunt like that.
Your right, it probably never happens.



:lol:


Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Draper
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Draper » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Typically done the opposite way. That is, take the ‘weaning weight’ at the earliest allowable date and extrapolate that adg on out to 205

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by sim.-ang.king » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:01 pm

That works too, having your foot on the scale also helps.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14973
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 570 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Nesikep » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm

The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 2028
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 545 times
Been thanked: 363 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Brookhill Angus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm
The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
Putting your foot on the scale is like wearing clothes that are too tight and expecting people to think you are fit, you aren't fooling anyone.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

User avatar
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU
Posts: 5117
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:17 pm
Location: Southern IL
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 424 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by sim.-ang.king » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm
The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
Me neither, but I'm looking for a big boned woman to help my weaning weights.


:lol:
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm

Been watching a little bull sale in Nebraska today. They seem to be having a good day. I am a thinking they will have a sale average of $6000.00

User avatar
Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 14973
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:37 pm
Location: Lillooet, BC, Canada
Has thanked: 756 times
Been thanked: 570 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Nesikep » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm
The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
Me neither, but I'm looking for a big boned woman to help my weaning weights.


:lol:
They all say they're just big boned
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:14 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:01 pm
Been watching a little bull sale in Nebraska today. They seem to be having a good day. I am a thinking they will have a sale average of $6000.00
RBB, I highly suspect we are watching the same "little sale". I'm very curious to see how the postponement affects the sale. It was always a highlight to head to Morris each spring to buy....can't say I would now even if it was still in Morris though... :hide:
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

User avatar
CreekAngus
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 421
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:44 pm
Location: Southwest Washington
Has thanked: 200 times
Been thanked: 227 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by CreekAngus » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:13 pm

Draper wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 9:32 pm
Depending on how they’d been feed, a 900lb yearling weight could be substantial. Your daughters show heifer likely had more feed first 6 months, than most bulls do their entire life.
Yes she did, heifer didn't come out of our herd. The guy we bought her from runs 8 to 9 frame cattle, makes a run at Hoff cattle. We will be looking to down size progeny, should be a good fit for Brookhill's ever infamous President. We pulled off the throttle, her yearling was 1064, I didn't want to have feet or fertility issues.
A brand ins’t something you earn, it’s something you live up to - John Dutton

User avatar
ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor
Posts: 16591
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:16 pm
Location: Alabama the Beautiful
Has thanked: 563 times
Been thanked: 533 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Nesikep wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:13 pm
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:26 pm
Nesikep wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:29 pm
The way I feed, I am pretty happy when my average weaning weight is in the 600's at an average of about 200 days... that said, I wouldn't buy a bull with a below average growth rate. The one I'm keeping this year I'm expecting to be about 700 lbs on grass and milk alone.. the one I am looking at buying did get a little bit of creep and they really manage pastures well, his weaning weight is 926 (205 day adjusted is 854, and best of his group)

Sim Ang King, I don't weigh enough to make much difference putting a foot on the scale!
Me neither, but I'm looking for a big boned woman to help my weaning weights.


:lol:
They all say they're just big boned
Big bones don't jiggle when they walk...rattle maybe.. :cowboy:
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

User avatar
Red Bull Breeder
GURU
GURU
Posts: 7621
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:26 am
Location: North Arkansas
Has thanked: 293 times
Been thanked: 288 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Red Bull Breeder » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:02 pm

[/quote]
RBB, I highly suspect we are watching the same "little sale". I'm very curious to see how the postponement affects the sale. It was always a highlight to head to Morris each spring to buy....can't say I would now even if it was still in Morris though... :hide:
[/quote]

Boot Jack we were watching the same little sale. First part seemed heavy limflex after the purebreds started selling it seemed to pick up pretty good. BTW Red Bulls rocked today.

User avatar
jscunn
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1494
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:52 am
Location: Northwest Florida
Has thanked: 57 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by jscunn » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Draper wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Typically done the opposite way. That is, take the ‘weaning weight’ at the earliest allowable date and extrapolate that adg on out to 205
Actually you are wrong. All the big outfits that emphasize WW wean as late as allowable. Cough Schaff Cough..

two reasons:
1. the breed association that I belong to actually dont take the whole WDA back linear to 205 like BIF does.
2. The calf itself grows better (more ADG) from age 6 months to 8 months than they do months 3 thru 5.

User avatar
Boot Jack Bulls
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1092
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:03 pm
Location: NW WI
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 126 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Boot Jack Bulls » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:33 pm

Red Bull Breeder wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:02 pm
RBB, I highly suspect we are watching the same "little sale". I'm very curious to see how the postponement affects the sale. It was always a highlight to head to Morris each spring to buy....can't say I would now even if it was still in Morris though... :hide:
[/quote]

Boot Jack we were watching the same little sale. First part seemed heavy limflex after the purebreds started selling it seemed to pick up pretty good. BTW Red Bulls rocked today.
[/quote]

I just wish there were more good non-Limflex on the sales nation wide. Magness hardly has a purebred on their sales anymore, much less a red one! The couple of breeders who have sales that focus on purebred reds, have them so dang early in the season, its hard to make it to sales in January up here! 10 years ago, there would be plenty of red purebreds in each sale, to the point where you actually had to sort them....those days seem long gone for the most part.
Boot Jack Cattle LLC & Boot Jack Boers

Draper
Cowhand
Cowhand
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:58 pm
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Bull Sale: Quality

Post by Draper » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:34 pm

jscunn wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 pm
Draper wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:00 pm
Typically done the opposite way. That is, take the ‘weaning weight’ at the earliest allowable date and extrapolate that adg on out to 205
Actually you are wrong. All the big outfits that emphasize WW wean as late as allowable. Cough Schaff Cough..

two reasons:
1. the breed association that I belong to actually dont take the whole WDA back linear to 205 like BIF does.
2. The calf itself grows better (more ADG) from age 6 months to 8 months than they do months 3 thru 5.

I don’t know anything about your number one point but everything else youve stated is just wrong.

If weaning weights are taken at the latest allowable date, the ADJUSTED weaning weight will be LESS THAN their ACTUAL weaning weight as you are adjusted backwards in time to 205 days.

If an animal has an actual weaning weight of 850 at 245 days, then his adjusted to 205 weaning weight will obviously be less than 850.

If weaning weights are taken at the earliest (earlier) date, the ADJUSTED weaning weight will be MORE THAN their ACTUAL weaning weight.

When an outfit physically weans the calf off the dam is completely irrelevant to when weaning weights can be taken and reported. ie they may leave them on the cow for 10 months but they’re weighing them at 5.

Post Reply