Thoughts on this bull

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 250 times

Thoughts on this bull

Post by gizmom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am

http://www.universalsemensales.com/node/14468

Going to use him for a flush to our 913 cow. We have flushed her twice so far this go round once to Quarterback and once to Rainfall. We currently have calves on the ground out of 913 and Resource, Reign and Sensation. Here is a link to the 913. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... Eptw%3d%3d

The docility EPD is just wrong with this individual she is very easy to get along with and stays fat on very little.

Gizmom


Respect give it to get it!

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: SD
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by W.B. » Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:54 am

gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am
http://www.universalsemensales.com/node/14468

Going to use him for a flush to our 913 cow. We have flushed her twice so far this go round once to Quarterback and once to Rainfall. We currently have calves on the ground out of 913 and Resource, Reign and Sensation. Here is a link to the 913. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... Eptw%3d%3d

The docility EPD is just wrong with this individual she is very easy to get along with and stays fat on very little.

Gizmom
He looks like a nice bull as one can see with 8-10 inches of straw. Pedigree says he might add a notch if frame. Why flush to a yearling bull? I am not trying to be a smart alleck. I really want to know.

elkwc
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1293
Joined: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:21 pm
Has thanked: 375 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by elkwc » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:41 am

From ove picture he appears to be a nice bull.

gcreekrch
Rancher
Rancher
Posts: 853
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:51 pm
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 251 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by gcreekrch » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:42 pm

If I were to flush a proven cow, I would want proven genetics on the other side also. Let others do the testing for you!
Vaccinations, cheaper than whiskey. ;-)

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm

gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am
http://www.universalsemensales.com/node/14468

Going to use him for a flush to our 913 cow. We have flushed her twice so far this go round once to Quarterback and once to Rainfall. We currently have calves on the ground out of 913 and Resource, Reign and Sensation. Here is a link to the 913. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... Eptw%3d%3d

The docility EPD is just wrong with this individual she is very easy to get along with and stays fat on very little.

Gizmom
Brian and Bailey told me to take a CLOSE LOOK at this bull, and they have not steered me wrong. Problem is that there is no shortage of excellent bulls out there, and I'm already looking to get a second tank to keep the collection growing. I'm hoping to get VAR Power Play very soon, and will be looking to use SAV America before long as well, but this one really good that you are using.

I trust the folks at Square B, they have a good eye for cattle and Emblem looks like a solid bet in my opinion.
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:42 pm

I don’t think you’ve done her wrong on any other breeding. You flush her because you feel she’s a great cow. Is there anything though, you feel you could improve?

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by NEFarmwife » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm
gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am
http://www.universalsemensales.com/node/14468

Going to use him for a flush to our 913 cow. We have flushed her twice so far this go round once to Quarterback and once to Rainfall. We currently have calves on the ground out of 913 and Resource, Reign and Sensation. Here is a link to the 913. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... Eptw%3d%3d

The docility EPD is just wrong with this individual she is very easy to get along with and stays fat on very little.

Gizmom
Brian and Bailey told me to take a CLOSE LOOK at this bull, and they have not steered me wrong. Problem is that there is no shortage of excellent bulls out there, and I'm already looking to get a second tank to keep the collection growing. I'm hoping to get VAR Power Play very soon, and will be looking to use SAV America before long as well, but this one really good that you are using.

I trust the folks at Square B, they have a good eye for cattle and Emblem looks like a solid bet in my opinion.
I spent two days with Bailey in Omaha this week, as we both attended a marketing summit. Outgoing lady.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:50 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:47 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 5:27 pm
gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:15 am
http://www.universalsemensales.com/node/14468

Going to use him for a flush to our 913 cow. We have flushed her twice so far this go round once to Quarterback and once to Rainfall. We currently have calves on the ground out of 913 and Resource, Reign and Sensation. Here is a link to the 913. https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... Eptw%3d%3d

The docility EPD is just wrong with this individual she is very easy to get along with and stays fat on very little.

Gizmom
Brian and Bailey told me to take a CLOSE LOOK at this bull, and they have not steered me wrong. Problem is that there is no shortage of excellent bulls out there, and I'm already looking to get a second tank to keep the collection growing. I'm hoping to get VAR Power Play very soon, and will be looking to use SAV America before long as well, but this one really good that you are using.

I trust the folks at Square B, they have a good eye for cattle and Emblem looks like a solid bet in my opinion.
I spent two days with Bailey in Omaha this week, as we both attended a marketing summit. Outgoing lady.
Can't disagree with that!
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 250 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by gizmom » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm

This is a young unproven bull but one with an impeccable genetic lineage behind him. Our partner in the cow Jason Upchurch has seen the bull I haven’t but trust Jason’s eye for cattle. He really likes the bull. This mating should improve carcass numbers on the progeny and possibly add a tic of frame. The cow is pretty dang solid we can tweak a few things but really don’t need to try to make big jumps in any area.

Image

She fits into my ideal type cow catagory.



Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss
Posts: 330
Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:21 pm
Location: SD
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 57 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by W.B. » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 am

gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm
This is a young unproven bull but one with an impeccable genetic lineage behind him. Our partner in the cow Jason Upchurch has seen the bull I haven’t but trust Jason’s eye for cattle. He really likes the bull. This mating should improve carcass numbers on the progeny and possibly add a tic of frame. The cow is pretty dang solid we can tweak a few things but really don’t need to try to make big jumps in any area.

Image

She fits into my ideal type cow catagory.



Gizmom
Good enough reasons I guess. My concern is there are no Raindance daughters in production and you are already breeding to a son in an et program. I haven’t seen any Raindance progeny so I will reserve judgement. The Presidents I saw were not what I expected. Good luck, I hope it works well for you.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:24 am

W.B. wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:22 am
gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm
This is a young unproven bull but one with an impeccable genetic lineage behind him. Our partner in the cow Jason Upchurch has seen the bull I haven’t but trust Jason’s eye for cattle. He really likes the bull. This mating should improve carcass numbers on the progeny and possibly add a tic of frame. The cow is pretty dang solid we can tweak a few things but really don’t need to try to make big jumps in any area.

Image

She fits into my ideal type cow catagory.



Gizmom
Good enough reasons I guess. My concern is there are no Raindance daughters in production and you are already breeding to a son in an et program. I haven’t seen any Raindance progeny so I will reserve judgement. The Presidents I saw were not what I expected. Good luck, I hope it works well for you.
Would be interested in you sharing your views. We have a lot on the ground and I am almost certain, you and I may be in agreement.

User avatar
NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1031
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:33 pm
Location: "The Good Life"
Has thanked: 86 times
Been thanked: 198 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by NEFarmwife » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:26 am

gizmom wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:05 pm
This is a young unproven bull but one with an impeccable genetic lineage behind him. Our partner in the cow Jason Upchurch has seen the bull I haven’t but trust Jason’s eye for cattle. He really likes the bull. This mating should improve carcass numbers on the progeny and possibly add a tic of frame. The cow is pretty dang solid we can tweak a few things but really don’t need to try to make big jumps in any area.

Image

She fits into my ideal type cow catagory.



Gizmom
She is beautiful. Are there other programs you like or do you want to stick with SAV?

User avatar
gizmom
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3130
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:23 pm
Location: Molino Florida
Has thanked: 125 times
Been thanked: 250 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by gizmom » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:43 am

NE

I use bulls from other programs, one I haven’t used yet but have on my use list is

https://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl. ... YFcw%3d%3d

The 714 cow was really good, I want to plug more of her into our program. Another bull on my to use list is:

https://www.purebeefgenetics.com/sires/ ... -doc-2261/

The 386 cow can be found throughout the genetics of our herd.

Oldhe cattle has bulls we have used and will circle back to them at some point. They have a bull OCC Zodiak that is on my watch list.

XXP is one of my favorite bulls he was bred in the Sinclair program

Gizmom
Respect give it to get it!

User avatar
Jake
GURU
GURU
Posts: 3754
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2003 3:45 pm
Location: North Central Kansas
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by Jake » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:01 am

His granddam 7566 is one of my favorite cows. She is/was a machine, I own one bull out of her and plan on owning a few more. Wouldn't be scared to try him at all.

User avatar
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU
Posts: 1963
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:45 pm
Has thanked: 523 times
Been thanked: 342 times

Re: Thoughts on this bull

Post by Brookhill Angus » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:25 am

Here is a bull we are going to use before long that we have in the tank right now. This will probably appeal to the folks that don't drill down solely on EPD's and look more for phenotype and pedigree. After speaking with Keith and Brad Arntzen about him, I decided he would make some great heifers. Notice the dam side of the pedigree in particular. He's out of one of McCumber's best cows, and they are known for an excellent maternal program.

268

Here is a link to his AAA info

http://bit.ly/2GaH7pp

and the Arntzen page.

http://bit.ly/2UkSzbE
"When someone tells you it can't be done, it's more a reflection of their limitations, not yours"

Post Reply