Longhorn or Corriente

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Longhorn or Corriente

Post by DCA farm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:33 am

Looking at getting some brush cows to run on a lease place in Southwest louisiana question is would I be better off with longhorn or Corriente cows. I’ll end up running a beef bull on them more than likely

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Re: Longhorn or Corriente

Post by holm25 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Neither. Mow it and get some real cows.

Lol I’d go with longhorns and a Char bull before a corriente...

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:25 pm

holm25 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:23 pm

Any market for rodeo calves?

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:09 pm

Imo black corriente bred to Angus or char bulls will produce the most marketable calves. You'll still take a hit but there is definitely a place for plan.
It ain't bragging if you can do it.
Red Bull Breeder.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:25 pm
holm25 wrote:

I’d have no problem selling the calves 1/2 my family rope 1/2 my friends rope

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:08 pm

holm25 wrote:

Only 1/2 is now able other 1/2 is woods/cutover and small grass openings reason I’m gonna run brush type cows

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Neither... Brahman, maybe crosses or a composite breed. A small place like that would be perfect to start a nice herd.
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

1982vett
GURU
GURU

Post by 1982vett » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:52 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 pm
Ebenezer wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:25 pm
holm25 wrote:

I’d have no problem selling the calves 1/2 my family rope 1/2 my friends rope
In that case, go with the corriente to keep the horns shorter for roping. :2cents:

Also, from what I’ve seen...., corrient can eat the grass to the dirt and survive. ;-)
Aug 7, 2019 22:51GMT -5 the illustrious potentate said:
Because you have the freedom to say what you think, doesn't always mean that you should.

The right to speak freely is not free of consequences.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:11 pm
Neither... Brahman, maybe crosses or a composite breed. A small place like that would be perfect to start a nice herd.
Iits 37 acres 16 pasture/16 woods and cut over 5 acres of road front pasture that has a restriction on it and can’t be grazed. In your opinion while Brahman cattle utilize 16 acres of woods and cutover enough to even bother fencing it in. It’s a family members land won’t cost me a yearly note to put cows on it. I may just fence in the grazable and run heavy Breds on it

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:49 am
Brute 23 wrote:
Iits 37 acres 16 pasture/16 woods and cut over 5 acres of road front pasture that has a restriction on it and can’t be grazed. In your opinion while Brahman cattle utilize 16 acres of woods and cutover enough to even bother fencing it in. It’s a family members land won’t cost me a yearly note to put cows on it. I may just fence in the grazable and run heavy Breds on it
Yes the hustle and eat a lot of the things like LH... and you can get real money for them. That would be a great place to have a little herd of pure bloods if you have the capital to get in the game. I bet you could potentially even go with 1/2 or 3/4 bloods if you wanted to stay with terminal calves.

Post a pic of the "woods" and pasture. That will tell us a lot more. It has to be really bad... I mean really bad... to justify a LH. In that kind of country, that requires LH, you have to have a ton of acres to run any kind of numbers.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Brute 23 wrote:
Yes the hustle and eat a lot of the things like LH... and you can get real money for them. That would be a great place to have a little herd of pure bloods if you have the capital to get in the game. I bet you could potentially even go with 1/2 or 3/4 bloods if you wanted to stay with terminal calves.

Post a pic of the "woods" and pasture. That will tell us a lot more. It has to be really bad... I mean really bad... to justify a LH. In that kind of country, that requires LH, you have to have a ton of acres to run any kind of numbers.
Not sure how to post pictures the pasture section just needs to be bushogged or burned and let the grass come backed it’s been bush hoggd 3x a year every year except last year it rained so much he didn’t bother doing it the woods are mostly oaks and a few pines the cut over was all pine that was aloud to grow up after trees were cut

5S Cattle
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 5S Cattle » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:07 pm

My Brahmans eat as much brush and leaves as they do grass.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:23 pm

Mine looks like the eat brush and leaves....
as an adult,it's clear to me now...why Ernest T Bass, threw rocks at people..

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:04 pm

DCA farm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm
Brute 23 wrote:
DCA farm wrote:

Not sure how to post pictures the pasture section just needs to be bushogged or burned and let the grass come backed it’s been bush hoggd 3x a year every year except last year it rained so much he didn’t bother doing it the woods are mostly oaks and a few pines the cut over was all pine that was aloud to grow up after trees were cut
Im PMed you. I can help post pics.

DCA farm
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by DCA farm » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:10 pm

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:04 pm
DCA farm wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:41 pm
Brute 23 wrote:

Im PMed you. I can help post pics.
Sorry I haven’t got back over there to get any pictures yet. I’ve got a complete working pen and chute rebuild going just ain’t had time to get over there again.