Anyone run Brangus where it's cold?

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Anyone run Brangus where it's cold?

Post by Rydero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:32 am

I'm toying with adding Brangus to the mix in my cow herd. It'd be tempting to just use straight Brangus cows but I could also just buy a Brangus bull to make crosses too. Doesn't seem to be many breeders in the northern states and I haven't found any in Canada yet, just curious if it's a cold hardiness issue in which case crossing them may be the way to go.

Also curious if the cows were half Brangus bred another way (Charolais) if the calves would still have an identifiable Brahman look.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Anyone run Brangus where it's cold?

Post by sim.-ang.king » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am

The fact that you can't find any answers your own question.
Why should I apologize for becoming a monster?
Did anyone apologize for making me one?

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Post by Caustic Burno » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am

Rydero wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:32 am
I'm toying with adding Brangus to the mix in my cow herd. It'd be tempting to just use straight Brangus cows but I could also just buy a Brangus bull to make crosses too. Doesn't seem to be many breeders in the northern states and I haven't found any in Canada yet, just curious if it's a cold hardiness issue in which case crossing them may be the way to go.

Also curious if the cows were half Brangus bred another way (Charolais) if the calves would still have an identifiable Brahman look.
Brangus were bred for heat tolerance if your wanting a touch of Brimmer for hybrid vigor.
I would think Angus plus also called Ultrablack.

https://gobrangus.com/feb-17-fbp-feature-perkins/
Money doesn’t buy happiness, but the lack does buy misery.

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am
Like a lot of intelligent people I don't limit myself to only doing what other's have done, we wouldn't be communicating over the internet if everyone did. I am however looking to see if there's any indication it can be done beyond my own reasoning which is why I asked the questions. If you have information to share about what I asked please do. If you just want to discourage me from thinking for myself you'll probably fail like everyone else who's tried but follow my example and keep trying, maybe you'll discover something new, lol.

There's a Brahman herd in Alberta so they can somewhat survive here but he has a insulated bard they can go in and out of. Angus isn't a problem here. Brangus is 5/8 Angus so it's certainly possible they'll be ok here without the barn.

NEFarmwife
GURU
GURU

Post by NEFarmwife » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:15 am

We have the “okies” which are a mix of everything. There are some Brangus in there. They’re all muts.

As a whole, the entire herd is difficult to deal with and have no idea how to Mother in wet, muddy, cold conditions.

I’ve been intrigued with Brangus myself but I’ve been told it just won’t work here. Not if you want to keep them in top condition.

Brute 23
GURU
GURU

Post by Brute 23 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:23 am

There are Brangus and Ultra Black specific groups on FB and other places on the enet that can be very help full. In general try to find some one in your area, they should be the most knowledgeable. With that little bit of Brahman being cut in half you will hardly notice it. Look for clean bulls that favor the Angus side more to reduce the look as much as possible.

A certain group said Beefmasters weren't up north either despite a quick search proving a pretty good selection of breeders and even people on the board saying they have them up north. ;-)
Brimmer Pimpin Ain't Easy

"Don't let schooling interfere with your education" - Mark Twain

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:25 am

Caustic Burno wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:57 am

Brangus were bred for heat tolerance if your wanting a touch of Brimmer for hybrid vigor.
I would think Angus plus also called Ultrablack.

https://gobrangus.com/feb-17-fbp-feature-perkins/
Thanks for the link, gave it a read. I'd probably just buy a Brangus bull, or Brangus semen and make my own cross if I need more cold resistance than straight Brangus, which would basically be the same thing as an Ultrablack.
The reason I'm curious about the straight Brangus being viable here is the article I read about the straight Brahman herd in Alberta. Apparently he has quite a business exporting genetics because he can ship from Canada to countries the US can't. If there's no or very few Brangus breeders in Canada might be able to capitalize on the same thing.

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:32 am

Brute 23 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:23 am
There are Brangus and Ultra Black specific groups on FB and other places on the enet that can be very help full. In general try to find some one in your area, they should be the most knowledgeable. With that little bit of Brahman being cut in half you will hardly notice it. Look for clean bulls that favor the Angus side more to reduce the look as much as possible.

A certain group said Beefmasters weren't up north either despite a quick search proving a pretty good selection of breeders and even people on the board saying they have them up north. ;-)
Thanks. Don't do Facebook so I can't readily look but I'll get my wife to check it out, maybe we'll find something.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 am

Rydero wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:13 am
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:44 am
Like a lot of intelligent people I don't limit myself to only doing what other's have done, we wouldn't be communicating over the internet if everyone did. I am however looking to see if there's any indication it can be done beyond my own reasoning which is why I asked the questions. If you have information to share about what I asked please do. If you just want to discourage me from thinking for myself you'll probably fail like everyone else who's tried but follow my example and keep trying, maybe you'll discover something new, lol.

There's a Brahman herd in Alberta so they can somewhat survive here but he has a insulated bard they can go in and out of. Angus isn't a problem here. Brangus is 5/8 Angus so it's certainly possible they'll be ok here without the barn.
Not being smart , but even the ignorant folks found out.. You don't use heat tolerant animals in cold climates...
someone said I should follow my dreams,,so I went back to bed...

Rydero
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by Rydero » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:02 am

ALACOWMAN wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:27 am
Not being smart , but even the ignorant folks found out.. You don't use heat tolerant animals in cold climates...
[/quote]

Heat tolerant breeds don't do well in cold climates contains more information than you haven't found anyone else doing it in a couple hours of research so it must not work Imo.
It does obviously matter what you define as a heat tolerant breed because if you Google heat tolerant cattle breeds you get a long list of breeds that do very well in my climate. I suspect you're right which is why I asked though, hoping to hear from someone w 1st hand experience.

andybob
GURU
GURU

Post by andybob » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:00 pm

Why not try a composite which has been in Canada for generations? Dr Gordon Strick has the best quality Bonsmara in North America - based in Alberta https://sangacattle.webs.com/apps/photo ... id=8986914
http://sangacattle.webs.com/

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 pm

The other thing is market acceptance.. Eared stuff does well where it's hot, but unless you've got a pasture to plate thing going on, you're probably going to get docked more than any hybrid vigor you'll get from the cross...
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:46 pm

The only way,""and you may already do it""is late spring calving...keep them in a exceptional body condition,through the winter months....so they'll breed back on time..

Silver
GURU
GURU

Post by Silver » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:06 pm

I worked on a ranch out of high school, it was owned by a Texan. We ran a few Brangus bulls for a couple of years, but most of them ended up freezing their breeding equipment so that ended that.

ALACOWMAN
Mentor
Mentor

Post by ALACOWMAN » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Probably brought in some of those old draggers..they were bad to get stepped on too, or mashed.. from getting up,after lying..