Our future HIPPO in the making....

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Our future HIPPO in the making....

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:25 am

This video is for all you hardcore grass guys, I got this little one started soon on that program. LOL!

Here is a Byergo Titus 6340 daughter at 16 days old. She is a tank already. For you Byergo haters, get on the train with Titus, or miss the train, this bull makes some super nice calves.

Her momma was a little over 1900 pounds after calving, I expect this calf to follow in her footsteps.

here is the calf video

http://bit.ly/2WAhViB

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams

True Grit Farms
GURU
GURU

Re: Our future HIPPO in the making....

Post by True Grit Farms » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:31 am

Just looks like a nice calf to me.
If we'd of know this we'd of picked our own cotton.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 am

I have learned not to just go on phenotype. :shock: Until there is genetic testing, necessary hoopla and a lot of discussion, EPDs, more discussion, pictures showing daily differences, I just don't know.

Of early calves: do any think that day old pictures or prior to weaning can tell you the future value of the calf? I have semen in the tank from a bull purchased like that years ago. The attraction was two fold for the buyer: dam, including her record and other calves and results plus the calf's individual to near weaning.

Sort of like heifers, I'll get interested in them when they are 4 or 5 years old and have had 3 or 4 calves! Results oriented, I guess?

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:54 am

Ebenezer wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:52 am
I have learned not to just go on phenotype. :shock: Until there is genetic testing, necessary hoopla and a lot of discussion, EPDs, more discussion, pictures showing daily differences, I just don't know.

Of early calves: do any think that day old pictures or prior to weaning can tell you the future value of the calf? I have semen in the tank from a bull purchased like that years ago. The attraction was two fold for the buyer: dam, including her record and other calves and results plus the calf's individual to near weaning.

Sort of like heifers, I'll get interested in them when they are 4 or 5 years old and have had 3 or 4 calves! Results oriented, I guess?
Fair enough, I will post as time goes on how she develops.

I realize that things can change. I feel good about this gal however.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams

NEFarmwife
Rancher
Rancher

Post by NEFarmwife » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm

Ebenezer wrote:

That is why we wait till weaning to even register a calf. I have the info in the calving book (which allows me to still register at the $7 rate)... If it is junk, why am I spending money on it for certs and registrations? We cull purebred stock if it doesn't meet our expectations.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 pm

NEFarmwife wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:27 pm
Ebenezer wrote:

That is why we wait till weaning to even register a calf. I have the info in the calving book (which allows me to still register at the $7 rate)... If it is junk, why am I spending money on it for certs and registrations? We cull purebred stock if it doesn't meet our expectations.
The American Simmental Association has a program called THE. Total Herd Enrollment. You have 2 opportunities per year to join. I fall calve, so I enter all my fall calvers in June. You pay a one time fee at the time of enrollment. When the calves are born, you update your herd enrollment by entering the birth date, weight, sex, etc. So all my calves are registered at birth. The savings is considerable compared to the registration fee charged on an individual basis.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

JMER1533
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by JMER1533 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm

That's a nice looking calf. Like Ebeneezer I'd be interested to see what it looks like a few months after being weaned if it were just on grass and no creep or grain. Typically for grass-fed you want shorter, wide, moderate frame with big gut capacity. The large framed cattle just take too much input for a grass-based only operation.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm

Shes perfect for a feedlot heifer

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm

JMER1533 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:45 pm
That's a nice looking calf. Like Ebeneezer I'd be interested to see what it looks like a few months after being weaned if it were just on grass and no creep or grain. Typically for grass-fed you want shorter, wide, moderate frame with big gut capacity. The large framed cattle just take too much input for a grass-based only operation.
She will never see a creep feeder.

TennesseeTuxedo
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TennesseeTuxedo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Muddy wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:54 pm
Shes perfect for a feedlot heifer
Based upon what?
You're not paranoid, they really are out to get you!

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Nesikep » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:36 pm

I find there are some calves you can tell right away are exceptional, others only start to fill in and look good after a few years.. Some just have the poise and stance naturally.
I have one heifer this year that I could tell nearly right away was going to be a looker.. Spitting image of her mother at that age and she's turned out to be a great cow.. I'll tell you more about her in a few years
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

TexasBred
Mentor
Mentor

Post by TexasBred » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm

Brookhill Angus wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm
JMER1533 wrote:
Thought you put everything on full feed to bring out what you called "genetic potential". :???:
A dung beetle walks into a bar, looks around and says "Is this stool taken"????

76 Bar
Rancher
Rancher

Post by 76 Bar » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:34 pm

Nice healthy babe. Actual wt at ~ 6.7 months should be +/- 950 lbs.
Pssst...hopefully she's tattooed. ;-)

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 pm

76 Bar wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:34 pm
Nice healthy babe. Actual wt at ~ 6.7 months should be +/- 950 lbs.
Pssst...hopefully she's tattooed. ;-)
She's tattooed. They all are.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:43 pm

TexasBred wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:28 pm
Brookhill Angus wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:44 pm
JMER1533 wrote:
Thought you put everything on full feed to bring out what you called "genetic potential". :???:
The mommas are well fed, but I don't let the babes have anything until weaning. They pick around a little bit when the mommas are eating at the bunk, but they rarely get much, the mommas vacuum it up in minutes.