Black Herefords

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
CCCowman
Cowhand
Cowhand

Black Herefords

Post by CCCowman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 am

Black herefords have been around awhile. What are some opinions? I've seen some that look pretty dern good.

Some people are just dumber in the head than a hog is in the butt.

Caustic Burno
Crusty
Crusty

Re: Black Herefords

Post by Caustic Burno » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:46 am

CCCowman wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:40 am
Black herefords have been around awhile. What are some opinions? I've seen some that look pretty dern good.
Joke not recognized by the AHA.
Why give away hybrid vigor .
Get a herd of Hereford cows and an Angus bull poof a whole herd of black Hereford every calf season.
When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat. Ronald Reagan

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Post by holm25 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:15 pm

Nothing more than a baldy with a fancy name.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:15 pm

If you were putting them on a Continental breed, you would see some improvement. Putting them back on herefored or angus cows, you would end up losing more than you would gain.
So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai...
Esther 7:10

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:53 pm

There is no such as a black Hereford. Doesn’t exist.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm

Would be a good way to buy baldie cows to use as commercial cows bred to another breed.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm

I don't see anything wrong with black Hereford, especially if you have red Angus cows or anything red and you want to produce black baldies.....gotta think positive thoughts.

holm25
Rancher
Rancher

Post by holm25 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm

Muddy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:02 pm
I don't see anything wrong with black Hereford, especially if you have red Angus cows or anything red and you want to produce black baldies.....gotta think positive thoughts.
I’ve seen some good black baldy sims that’d do twice what any black Hereford would.

Muddy
GURU
GURU

Post by Muddy » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm

holm25 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:17 pm
Muddy wrote:
I’ve seen some good black baldy sims that’d do twice what any black Hereford would.
Except the sim bulls don't put white face on every calves. You are most likely get more solid calves than white faced calves.

elkwc
GURU
GURU

Post by elkwc » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:49 pm

holm25 wrote:
Muddy wrote:
I have looked at some top bred black Simmi's and I haven't found that superior growth you and others claim. And neither has the commercial breeders I've talked to who has used Black Simmi bulls. Maybe our environment here is too harsh. Haven't seen any that will out perform our Angus or Hereford/Angus baldies.

etmountianman71
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by etmountianman71 » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am

I love to read these posts from across the US, some are positive and some are negative, provides a good understanding on how people feel.
My family and I have been Black Hereford Breeders for 4 years now and have enjoyed all of the good and bad that comes along with changing from a commercial herd to a registered herd.
We are a small breeder, not one of the fancy farms with hundreds of cattle or thousands of acres (although that would be nice with all the rain we have had-anyone need mud?)
No matter what breed a person chooses to raise the public will find a reason to either agree or disagree with them, someone always has a better answer or a reason not to go along with their decision.
As I see commercial cattlemen and seedstock breeders by our bulls and heifers it has helped me understand more that people are looking for other alternatives than the flooded Angus Market.
Any cattlemen who actually raises cattle knows that genetics, nutrition, and good herd management will produce a productive herd, but we all know that some people will not put that work into their product so they blame the breeds.
We enjoy seeing the Black Hereford Breed grow as well as the ABHA organization. Yes it is being recognized by NCBA, BIF, State Organizations and other Breed Organizations. It is not perfect by no means, still a young breed with a lot of growing to do in many areas.
As the data grows for the breed it will lead to better Genetic testing, herd culling, and education opportunities.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like to visit our farm if you are near East TN.
"If you don't set your priorities in life someone will set them for you- John Wayne."

kentuckyguy
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by kentuckyguy » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:43 am

Muddy wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:20 pm
holm25 wrote:
Muddy wrote:
Except the sim bulls don't put white face on every calves. You are most likely get more solid calves than white faced calves.
I always thought the white face on a Hereford was a dominant gene that always passed on in F1 calves.

Son of Butch
GURU
GURU

Post by Son of Butch » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:52 am

holm25 wrote:
Muddy wrote:
So instead of selling 1300 lb fats at 16 months I could be selling 2600 pounders at 16 months?
or do you mean I could be selling 1300 lb fats at 8 months?
OR maybe they have Twins every year?
Weaning weights jump from 560 lbs to 1120 lbs?

Guess I just get confused :???: by claims of one breed being twice as good as another.

W.B.
Trail Boss
Trail Boss

Post by W.B. » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm

etmountianman71 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:30 am
I love to read these posts from across the US, some are positive and some are negative, provides a good understanding on how people feel.
My family and I have been Black Hereford Breeders for 4 years now and have enjoyed all of the good and bad that comes along with changing from a commercial herd to a registered herd.
We are a small breeder, not one of the fancy farms with hundreds of cattle or thousands of acres (although that would be nice with all the rain we have had-anyone need mud?)
No matter what breed a person chooses to raise the public will find a reason to either agree or disagree with them, someone always has a better answer or a reason not to go along with their decision.
As I see commercial cattlemen and seedstock breeders by our bulls and heifers it has helped me understand more that people are looking for other alternatives than the flooded Angus Market.
Any cattlemen who actually raises cattle knows that genetics, nutrition, and good herd management will produce a productive herd, but we all know that some people will not put that work into their product so they blame the breeds.
We enjoy seeing the Black Hereford Breed grow as well as the ABHA organization. Yes it is being recognized by NCBA, BIF, State Organizations and other Breed Organizations. It is not perfect by no means, still a young breed with a lot of growing to do in many areas.
As the data grows for the breed it will lead to better Genetic testing, herd culling, and education opportunities.
Feel free to contact me if you have questions or would like to visit our farm if you are near East TN.
Fairly small gene pool to draw from. Do you have any issues with MSUD in your herd?

Bestoutwest
GURU
GURU

Post by Bestoutwest » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

Ebenezer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:14 pm
Would be a good way to buy baldie cows to use as commercial cows bred to another breed.
Nope b/c they're a niche breed, and they'll cost you a ton to get some.
For the great things are not done by impulse, but by a series of small things brought together. ~Vincent van Gogh
The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.-Julius Caesar