Calving Season has Begun

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Calving Season has Begun

Post by Backbone Ranch » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:12 am

We had a nice surprise last night. Our AI cows were due to start calving today, February 24th. We were pretty sure that we only had four individuals take by AI, but two days ago, I noticed another cow was starting to bag up. She was one that we had AIed, but I noticed the bull following her about 3 weeks later. I assumed that she had taken to the clean up bull. Apparently I was mistaken. This bull calf is sired by Monterey Marshall, and is only the second calf that we have had out of this bull after breeding him to 9 cows. He was 84 lbs at birth and is a little less than 12 hours old here.

And here is a photo of his sire, Monterey Marshall, as well as a better picture of the dam of the calf. She is 8 years old.

Backbone Ranch- Murray Greys
http://www.backboneranch.com/

Nesikep
Mentor
Mentor

Re: Calving Season has Begun

Post by Nesikep » Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:54 am

beauty!
I have some questions about my heifers and their due dates too.. saw the bull with them right at turnout, then again 10 days later.. Hmmm.. wonder which one is the real one!
What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence
-Christopher Hitchens

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:06 pm

Looking great! Congrats!
We have one cow, which was seen with the bull on her first heat, then 2 months later and then around 1.5month before calving. I didn't believed when was told that she was in heat the last time. She just looked way to big and her udder seemed to be growing abit.

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah! Another Marshall Bull! Wonderful! Who is the cow? I would love to see #s on your new bull calf and your mature Marshall bull when you get some time.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:35 pm

Thank you! We are very excited about this little bull.

TwoByrdsMG- The cow is OK Bee Happy. She is a granddaughter of JOPA Elation Power and OK Honeysuckle and is sired by OK Ben. She goes back to some of the best producing cow lines from Carole Brown's Murray Grey herd. Bee Happy's full sister weaned our best bull calf last year that we retained as a future herdsire, so there is a lot of quality in the family line. This particular Marshall calf should have perfect tenderness scores too.

We do not have EPDs on any of our cattle, but here are some numbers from our oldest Marshall son.
BB Backbone's General-
Birth Weight: 81 lbs
Weaning Weight: 554 lbs
ADG: 2.13 lbs per day
Igenity Tenderness score: 9/10
Igenity Marbling score: 6/10
Photos at 16 months and 4 years. We sold him back in the summer of 2016 and just bought him back this past October. He has been breeding 16 heifers for most of winter, but he has put on quite a bit of weight and muscle since he came to our place. I am really excited to see how he looks once the spring grass comes on.

waihou
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by waihou » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:22 pm

BB I thought of you last week when I found a photo of Monterey Marshall when I was sorting through 50 years of NZ Murray Grey Society history in an endeavour to rehome it all! I think it was the same photo you have shown though.
Is that M.Marshall GJB199 born in 1989?

Hope you calving season goes smoothly!

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pm

Hays,

Sure like how your silver bull has turned out. Put me on the list if you have him collected I would sure like to buy some.

What do you usually sell bull calves for? That dark bull would sure be one to watch how he grows!

TwoByrdsMG
Cowhand
Cowhand

Post by TwoByrdsMG » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:55 pm

waihou wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:22 pm
BB I thought of you last week when I found a photo of Monterey Marshall when I was sorting through 50 years of NZ Murray Grey Society history in an endeavour to rehome it all! I think it was the same photo you have shown though.
Is that M.Marshall GJB199 born in 1989?

Hope you calving season goes smoothly!
Why don't we (as Murray Grey breeders) have a universal photo catalog of all murray grey cattle we register?

Sure would make it easier to track history and find how to repeat it when we know what the line can produce.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:08 pm

Waihou- Thank you! Calving season is honestly my favorite time of the year. I love seeing the results of the matings that we had planned the year before. And yes, that is the same Monterey Marshall that I was referring to. To my knowledge, he was the only Monterey bull to have semen imported to the US. I really admire their program and would really like to incorporate more of their genetics into our herd at some point.

TwoByrdsMG- It would be really neat to have a universal photo catalogue. The Murray Grey Association back in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s sent out a monthly newspaper with photos of show winners, articles about successes of breeders in the US and overseas, dozens of advertisers with photos of stock that they had for sale, and even had companies that were selling straws from 10-15 bulls. It was nowhere near showing everything that was registered, but they provided a tremendous amount of information about the genetics that people were using and often included photos of progeny from the AI sires from that era.

We have not yet had any calves out of General, so we do not have plans to collect him. I will let you know if we do. His mother is one of our best cows and is a rising 11 year old. This was her back in 2013. Her bull calf had the second highest average daily gain from our calf crop last year.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:48 am

TwoByrdsMG wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:49 pm
What do you usually sell bull calves for? That dark bull would sure be one to watch how he grows!
Our bull calves normally range from $3,000 to $3,800. We have them all genetically tested for tenderness, marbling, alpha-mannosidosis, and myostatin. We know the genetic condition status on all of the bulls in our tank and the cows in the herd, but we like to be able to provide our customers with tangible proof that the animal that they are purchasing is free of any genetic defects. In addition, we sell our bulls at 15-18 months of age after they have passed a breeding soundness exam.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:35 am

We have had three calves so far this spring, and by the looks of it, we will have 7 or 8 more within the next week. Here are some more current photos of them.
901 Bull- This bull calf is a 17 day old Monterey Marshall son.

903 Bull- This is a 7/8ths Murray Grey x 1/8th Angus calf. He had a 79 lb birth weight and is 5 days old here.

905 Bull- This calf was born last night. I am not sure if he is an AI sired calf or out of our herd bull, Tony. He was 92 lbs at birth and is an absolute tank. We will be DNA testing him in May sometime when we work the calves.

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Post by frieghttrain » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm

Who's the potential AI bull calf out of? That 901 has the bull look already
Quality doesn't have a color.

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:07 pm

They are nice calves.

Backbone Ranch
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Backbone Ranch » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 pm

frieghttrain wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm
If he is AI sired, he will be sired by Ballee Thumbs Up. We already have a yearling bull on the ground out of this cow and Ballee Thumbs Up. He is in line to be one of our next herd bulls. Here is Ballee Thumbs Up.

frieghttrain
Rancher
Rancher

Post by frieghttrain » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:58 pm

Backbone Ranch wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:06 pm
frieghttrain wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:50 pm
If he is AI sired, he will be sired by Ballee Thumbs Up. We already have a yearling bull on the ground out of this cow and Ballee Thumbs Up. He is in line to be one of our next herd bulls. Here is Ballee Thumbs Up.
That there bull is a stud.
Quality doesn't have a color.