Page 2 of 5

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm
by Lazy M
True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:46 pm
Image

We have this bull for sale at the UGA, Tifton bull evaluation sale on Wednesday, March 6th. There's a lot of interest in this bull from all over the country.
I like my Cowboy Cut calves. I am excited to see how they grow out.
Here's his SimGenetics test.
Imagehost an image
That bull rings all the bells: looks great; great numbers. How'd he perform on the test?

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 pm
by True Grit Farms
Lazy M wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:27 pm
True Grit Farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:06 pm
Bright Raven wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:49 pm


I like my Cowboy Cut calves. I am excited to see how they grow out.
Here's his SimGenetics test.
Imagehost an image
That bull rings all the bells: looks great; great numbers. How'd he perform on the test?

He's above adverage, his ADG was 3.63 and the rest of the SimAngus ADG was 3.52. His index ratio was 215 and the top gaining bull was 223?

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm
by kentuckyguy
jehosofat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm
kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 pm
I’m my area of Ky price plays a pretty big part in bull sales. Getting over $1500-1800 will be pretty tough no matter how good the bull is.

Most want to buy a 5-6 month old bull calf for $6-800 and take a chance versus buying a mature semen tested bull for $2000
I can't imagine being that much of a dumb a$$.
I agree but most just see the price and are hoping to get a calf on the ground.

I see very few nice bulls running the fields around me. Most just have something with black hide and nuts.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 pm
by Davemk
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a question for you simi guys. What is the appeal of the blaze face? I know buyers seem to want a blaze, but my question is why? Is it just a visual preference thing? Does it add value to the calves? Anytype of added preformance? Don’t think I’m bashing you guys, just never understood the simi blaze.

Around here the angus Hereford cross is very popular. I do it a lot because I can sell the females easily private treaty. The steers don’t seem to sell any better or worse than comparable solid black calves. Generally mine all sale in the same lot. Blacks, bwf, and the handful of reds I get. The general thinking of the bwf is the buyers can see that the calf is crossbred for the heterosis.
Know a cattle buyer that buys 20,000-30,000 feeder calves a year, this is a direct quote at least once a year.
"I know them sum bitches ain't 100% angus if they got a white face." :roll:

Yes he will and does buy Angus feeder calves.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 pm
by T & B farms
Davemk wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 pm
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a question for you simi guys. What is the appeal of the blaze face? I know buyers seem to want a blaze, but my question is why? Is it just a visual preference thing? Does it add value to the calves? Anytype of added preformance? Don’t think I’m bashing you guys, just never understood the simi blaze.

Around here the angus Hereford cross is very popular. I do it a lot because I can sell the females easily private treaty. The steers don’t seem to sell any better or worse than comparable solid black calves. Generally mine all sale in the same lot. Blacks, bwf, and the handful of reds I get. The general thinking of the bwf is the buyers can see that the calf is crossbred for the heterosis.
Know a cattle buyer that buys 20,000-30,000 feeder calves a year, this is a direct quote at least once a year.
"I know them sum bitches ain't 100% angus if they got a white face." :roll:

Yes he will and does buy Angus feeder calves.
Does he want them full angus, or does he like them crossed?

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 pm
by sim.-ang.king
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a question for you simi guys. What is the appeal of the blaze face? I know buyers seem to want a blaze, but my question is why? Is it just a visual preference thing? Does it add value to the calves? Anytype of added preformance? Don’t think I’m bashing you guys, just never understood the simi blaze.

Around here the angus Hereford cross is very popular. I do it a lot because I can sell the females easily private treaty. The steers don’t seem to sell any better or worse than comparable solid black calves. Generally mine all sale in the same lot. Blacks, bwf, and the handful of reds I get. The general thinking of the bwf is the buyers can see that the calf is crossbred for the heterosis.
Just a color craze. Personal I would rather have solid colored sim of any color, but if someone wants to buy a blaze at a premium, I'll sell them one. ;-)

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:59 pm
by NEFarmwife
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:42 pm
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a question for you simi guys. What is the appeal of the blaze face? I know buyers seem to want a blaze, but my question is why? Is it just a visual preference thing? Does it add value to the calves? Anytype of added preformance? Don’t think I’m bashing you guys, just never understood the simi blaze.

Around here the angus Hereford cross is very popular. I do it a lot because I can sell the females easily private treaty. The steers don’t seem to sell any better or worse than comparable solid black calves. Generally mine all sale in the same lot. Blacks, bwf, and the handful of reds I get. The general thinking of the bwf is the buyers can see that the calf is crossbred for the heterosis.
Just a color craze. Personal I would rather have solid colored sim of any color, but if someone wants to buy a blaze at a premium, I'll sell them one. ;-)
Not in Kentucky but we have a handful of guys here that contact us for blaze face bulls. We only have one this year and I’m ok if they fight over him.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:28 pm
by Davemk
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:21 pm
Davemk wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:42 pm
T & B farms wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:22 pm
I have a question for you simi guys. What is the appeal of the blaze face? I know buyers seem to want a blaze, but my question is why? Is it just a visual preference thing? Does it add value to the calves? Anytype of added preformance? Don’t think I’m bashing you guys, just never understood the simi blaze.

Around here the angus Hereford cross is very popular. I do it a lot because I can sell the females easily private treaty. The steers don’t seem to sell any better or worse than comparable solid black calves. Generally mine all sale in the same lot. Blacks, bwf, and the handful of reds I get. The general thinking of the bwf is the buyers can see that the calf is crossbred for the heterosis.
Know a cattle buyer that buys 20,000-30,000 feeder calves a year, this is a direct quote at least once a year.
"I know them sum bitches ain't 100% angus if they got a white face." :roll:

Yes he will and does buy Angus feeder calves.
Does he want them full angus, or does he like them crossed?
He personally hates purebred Angus feeder cattle. The people he buys for on the other hand love them. Blaze faces and black nose Charolais sell very well in the state of KY because of buyers like this guy.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:55 am
by Brookhill Angus
jehosofat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm
kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 pm
I’m my area of Ky price plays a pretty big part in bull sales. Getting over $1500-1800 will be pretty tough no matter how good the bull is.

Most want to buy a 5-6 month old bull calf for $6-800 and take a chance versus buying a mature semen tested bull for $2000
I can't imagine being that much of a dumb a$$.
Believe it!!! I’ve seen “future” bulls, 2-3 month old, bottle calves which they “think is Angus cause it’s black” being marketed on the grocery store bulletin board for $300-400. It’s ridiculous at best.

It’s all about PRICE, period! It’s the absolute first thing people ask about when they call on ads. “How much do your bulls costs?” Never have I had a conversation that goes like this “tell me about the pedigree and genetic profile”

If I ran an ad in Cow Country News or the local paper that read “cheap bulls for sale”, with nothing else said, my phone would be smoking from all the calls.

We didn’t get our herd where it was by using cheap bulls, and I will never understand the statement “I only have 20 cows so I don’t need a good bull” A bad bull does damage for a long time.

Our average price is above $3k for a bull, but it’s hard earned, and usually paid by people that realize what a good bull can do for them AND understand what the word “residual” means. When you think about it, $3k is nothing if you get 18-20 calves out of the bull for 2 seasons. Our Stone Gate bull has returned many multiples of his initial cost and is still making money for us.

After saying what I did above, I would like to say this, regardless if someone doesn’t appreciate our genetics or doesn’t have the money, everyone that calls us is respected and we do not treat people poorly if they aren’t interested. We thank them for their interest and wish them well in their bull search. I might not agree with their strategy, but I realize that everyone does their thing a little bit differently and how it works best for them.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:57 am
by Brookhill Angus
kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:38 pm
jehosofat wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:26 pm
kentuckyguy wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:01 pm
I’m my area of Ky price plays a pretty big part in bull sales. Getting over $1500-1800 will be pretty tough no matter how good the bull is.

Most want to buy a 5-6 month old bull calf for $6-800 and take a chance versus buying a mature semen tested bull for $2000
I can't imagine being that much of a dumb a$$.
I agree but most just see the price and are hoping to get a calf on the ground.

I see very few nice bulls running the fields around me. Most just have something with black hide and nuts.
So true! Well said my friend..

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am
by mwj
Perceived value is a very interesting and powerful thing. That white blaze can be one of them. :nod:

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:05 am
by Bright Raven
mwj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am
Perceived value is a very interesting and powerful thing. That white blaze can be one of them. :nod:
Last summer I advertised a PB Simmental Bull with a perfect white Blaze on a coal black bull. He sold the first day. I got several calls. One guy called and when I told him the bull sold that morning he replied " You just broke my son's heart".

PS: he bought 2 bulls from me this past fall and has his name on this bull, he wants him as soon as he completes weaning:
Image

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:11 am
by True Grit Farms
Bright Raven wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:05 am
mwj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:01 am
Perceived value is a very interesting and powerful thing. That white blaze can be one of them. :nod:
Last summer I advertised a PB Simmental Bull with a perfect white Blaze on a coal black bull. He sold the first day. I got several calls. One guy called and when I told him the bull sold that morning he replied " You just broke my son's heart".

PS: he bought 2 bulls from me this past fall and has his name on this bull, he wants him as soon as he completes weaning:
Image
Buyers will overlook flaws just to get a blazed face bull. Maybe our choice of cattle in the southeast reflect why we have the reputation that we have.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 am
by mwj
Flaws do not have to come with a blaze face. If the buyers will pay a premium for the blaze, they will not complain about premium performance that comes with it.

Re: What Sells Bulls in Kentucky

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:52 am
by True Grit Farms
mwj wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:50 am
Flaws do not have to come with a blaze face. If the buyers will pay a premium for the blaze, they will not complain about premium performance that comes with it.
Is that the Hereford influenced part of the blaze your talking about?