Big Momma Cows

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Re: Big Momma Cows

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am

Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Brookhill Angus wrote:
We have been preparing all week for the God awful weather that is headed our way in the next few days. It looks like 2 or more inches or rain, with mud getting deeper and deeper, creeks flooding, then freezing rain, then snow and then into the low teens. I see people that are doing little to nothing to make sure their cattle are taken care of ahead of this big storm.

I had no clue people in Kentucky were so neglecting of their animals.
Must be piles of dead cows a mile high. Buzzards on ever fence post. Feed everywhere but no one remembers to give it to their cows?
Must be quite a place.

The storm is upon us my friend. I finished my routine and sought shelter. I didn't do anything I don't do as a routine.

It is difficult to quantify how many producers neglect their cattle or horses in Kentucky but enough that it aggravates the County Judge Executives who get all the complaints.

UPDATE: The cows on US 62 that I posted pictures of, I went by their feed area yesterday. There was one lone fall black calf wandering around in the mud. Head down, moving very slowly. No other cow in sight. On the hillside above the feed area, there were 3 huge masses of buzzards, I presume on dead cows. I don't have any idea what happened. Perhaps the owner gave up and shipped them all and left the one calf. (A heII of a way to get weaned)

Like I said I had no idea, when I was in Kentucky back in 2015 that it was such a terrible place. Took the Kentucky parkway from Leitchfield over to 65, and up to Louisville. I thought all of cattle farms looked better than the ones around here, and that was in November.

So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai...
Esther 7:10

Ky hills
GURU
GURU

Post by Ky hills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:38 am

sim.-ang.king wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Must be piles of dead cows a mile high. Buzzards on ever fence post. Feed everywhere but no one remembers to give it to their cows?
Must be quite a place.

The storm is upon us my friend. I finished my routine and sought shelter. I didn't do anything I don't do as a routine.

It is difficult to quantify how many producers neglect their cattle or horses in Kentucky but enough that it aggravates the County Judge Executives who get all the complaints.

UPDATE: The cows on US 62 that I posted pictures of, I went by their feed area yesterday. There was one lone fall black calf wandering around in the mud. Head down, moving very slowly. No other cow in sight. On the hillside above the feed area, there were 3 huge masses of buzzards, I presume on dead cows. I don't have any idea what happened. Perhaps the owner gave up and shipped them all and left the one calf. (A heII of a way to get weaned)

Like I said I had no idea, when I was in Kentucky back in 2015 that it was such a terrible place. Took the Kentucky parkway from Leitchfield over to 65, and up to Louisville. I thought all of cattle farms looked better than the ones around here, and that was in November.

Sim ang King, situation like we are describing are not the vast majority of farmers. Most have an understanding that starving cattle and neglecting them will not yield good results and is overall an unacceptable practice. There are unfortunately a few who allow those conditions. I don't understand it, I would sell my livestock before I let them starve to death.

sim.-ang.king
GURU
GURU

Post by sim.-ang.king » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:14 pm

There was a farmer around here I knew, and for a time his cows looked pretty bad. Had a couple dead calves, one dead cow, and some pretty crappy looking hay.
His wife had up and left him, and in between getting harassed by lawyers, and having to work overtime to make up the difference in loss of income, he didn't even have time to haul the cows off to the sale barn, and couldn't find anyone to do it for him. So after hear about this, I offered to haul them for him, and the problem was solved. Lucky the cows and pasture was in his name so his ex didn't get any.

People are the same all over the world. Good, bad, lazy, idoits, crule, or even pittyfull.
I'm sure if you drove past my farm at a bad time, you would probably look pretty lowly on me, but couldn't the same be said about your's?

Maybe you stop in at some of these farms, have a chat with them. If you don't like something going on in the community, than be a man and take care of it.
And by take care of I don't mean be a be nice and call the law.
If you call yourself a good steward, then maybe you should lend that stewardship to one of these.
They could just be lazy bums, or they could be in a rough patch, and just need someone to tell them they will haul the cows off for them.
Or they could just be some Blok that needs the tar beat out of them by some of their neighbors ( that really happen once when I a wee lad, or so I was told.)
Apparently BR drives past one of these farms quite often, but yet to stop in.
Bout time to put your money where your mouth is, ye?
So they hanged Haman on the gallows that he had prepared for Mordecai...
Esther 7:10

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 pm

you go tell someone what to do with there cattle and land in ky and see how that works out for you.. :lol2:

callmefence
GURU
GURU

Post by callmefence » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:33 pm

Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Brookhill Angus wrote:
We have been preparing all week for the God awful weather that is headed our way in the next few days. It looks like 2 or more inches or rain, with mud getting deeper and deeper, creeks flooding, then freezing rain, then snow and then into the low teens. I see people that are doing little to nothing to make sure their cattle are taken care of ahead of this big storm.

Must be quite a place.

Raven you need to stop by and help that ol boy out. Tell him the right way.
Make sure to let him know who are and how you Know more about everything and everyones business than they do. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.
If it ain't tight , It ain't right.

You can all go to he// . I'll go to Texas.
David Crockett

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:40 pm

sim.-ang.king wrote:There was a farmer around here I knew, and for a time his cows looked pretty bad. Had a couple dead calves, one dead cow, and some pretty crappy looking hay.
His wife had up and left him, and in between getting harassed by lawyers, and having to work overtime to make up the difference in loss of income, he didn't even have time to haul the cows off to the sale barn, and couldn't find anyone to do it for him. So after hear about this, I offered to haul them for him, and the problem was solved. Lucky the cows and pasture was in his name so his ex didn't get any.

People are the same all over the world. Good, bad, lazy, idoits, crule, or even pittyfull.
I'm sure if you drove past my farm at a bad time, you would probably look pretty lowly on me, but couldn't the same be said about your's?

Maybe you stop in at some of these farms, have a chat with them. If you don't like something going on in the community, than be a man and take care of it.
And by take care of I don't mean be a be nice and call the law.
If you call yourself a good steward, then maybe you should lend that stewardship to one of these.
They could just be lazy bums, or they could be in a rough patch, and just need someone to tell them they will haul the cows off for them.
Or they could just be some Blok that needs the tar beat out of them by some of their neighbors ( that really happen once when I a wee lad, or so I was told.)
Apparently BR drives past one of these farms quite often, but yet to stop in.
Bout time to put your money where your mouth is, ye?

No one resides on the property. The day I stopped to take the pictures, I did not step off from US 62 Right-of-Way.

While I was taking the pictures, a man drove by. He slowed down, turned around and came back. I thought, must be the owner wanting to know why I was snooping around taking pictures. I knew there was nothing illegal that I had done. So when he pulled in beside me, I greeted him with a friendly hello. He smiled and said "How are you? Are these your cattle?" I said no, I was just looking at them. He said, "I hoped they were yours. I live in the White House up the creek. The calves get in my yard". I said yes, I see them there on occasion." I said, " Looks to me like he has lost some fall calves". He said, "Yes, the buzzards have been roosting down by the North Fork. The guy who owns it just bought it. I don't even know where he lives. I was hoping it was you. I don't want to complain but I wish he would keep the calves off my lawn."

Sim ang King, I have wondered if I should try to catch the calf he left. I hate to trespass and I don't know how to contact the owner. If I was going to do anything, I think I would report him to the Sherriff.
"Looking for an honest man".
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:41 pm

ddd75 wrote:you go tell someone what to do with there cattle and land in ky and see how that works out for you.. :lol2:

That has crossed my mind. Lol
Diogenes.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:42 pm

callmefence wrote:
Bright Raven wrote:
sim.-ang.king wrote:
Must be quite a place.

Raven you need to stop by and help that ol boy out. Tell him the right way.
Make sure to let him know who are and how you Know more about everything and everyones business than they do. I'm sure he'll appreciate it.

Oh boy, :lol:

I think you guys are smoking something.
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:46 pm

ddd75 wrote:you go tell someone what to do with there cattle and land in ky and see how that works out for you.. :lol2:

That's what this chat site is for. Tell us all how to do the greatest. :help:

The KY deal has been humorous to a point. Two KY guys raising whopper cattle to be like lard hogs and all the neighbors, including old granddad, worked hard but not smart and raise their cattle wrong to be buzzard bait. If I was a cow in KY, I'd jump the fence and run to a neighboring state where all the cattle are in BCS5, the grass is green, the majority of residents are smart, the cows are beautiful, calf prices are exceptional and all of the local buzzards have moved to KY. You can't make this stuff up! :pop:

ddd75
GURU
GURU

Post by ddd75 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:51 pm

Ebenezer wrote:

The KY deal has been humorous to a point. Two KY guys raising whopper cattle to be like lard hogs and all the neighbors, including old granddad, worked hard but not smart and raise their cattle wrong to be buzzard bait. If I was a cow in KY, I'd jump the fence and run to a neighboring state where all the cattle are in BCS5, the grass is green, the majority of residents are smart, the cows are beautiful, calf prices are exceptional and all of the local buzzards have moved to KY. You can't make this stuff up! :pop:

post some pics of your cattle and show your operation.

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:53 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:

If he did, would you believe it?
Diogenes.

Ebenezer
GURU
GURU

Post by Ebenezer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:20 pm

ddd75 wrote:
Ebenezer wrote:

I can't. Our cattle are in average condition and would never fit the feat or famine discussions. I've pictured some before. Just not a big deal to post pictures. Not trying to sell here or build an ego.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Ebenezer wrote:

Ebenezer, do you have a business like Boyd's or Stone Gate? I assume you think our cattle are fat. Well, Boyd's cattle are not exactly small framed, neither are Stone Gate's cows, are they not "worthy" in your eyes? Both are a 15-minute drive from us.

We already have 5 inches of rain so far in 2019, mud is a foot deep, it's below freezing every night, we have a winter storm on the way, and you probably would recommend that one should feed moldy grass hay once every 4 days, lest they become "lard hogs". Or better yet, let them forage for leaves, weeds, who knows, maybe truffles!

Here is the reality. The weather here is awful at best. When your cattle rarely ever get sick, and your calves rarely ever get sick, and going from raining and 40 degrees to 5 degrees and snow in the same day is a walk in the park for them, then something is right about your nutritional program. Our cattle are conditioned to take any crap that is thrown at them, they have proven that. They deal with summers that are oppressive and winters that are nasty. If a calf DOES HAPPEN to become sick, it's rarely if ever lethal, same with the cows. I know for a fact after speaking with my vet's office that cattle are getting sick and dying at a high rate in our county, and I assume elsewhere in KY, the weather is beating them down. Why isn't that happening to us, could it be that we feed them?

I heard that it's below zero most of the time in North Dakota right now, probably even colder in Canada. I'm not going out on a limb when I say that I would feel totally comfortable that any cow or calf on our operation could handle -20 degrees and do well in that environment, given that there was adequate and quality feed available. I can tell you right now, you drop a large percentage of cattle in Kentucky and many states surrounding us, i.e. your state, into -20 temps, and you would have frozen hamburger.

The only place I would have a concern for cattle from our operation would be high elevations because they are not acclimated to that, but I would put them anywhere else in the country and feel confident they would adapt quickly. Why do you think people love Angus? It's because they are tough as can be and adaptable.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams

Bright Raven
GURU
GURU

Post by Bright Raven » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:38 pm

Here is Ebenezer's lard hogs.

Diogenes.

Brookhill Angus
GURU
GURU

Post by Brookhill Angus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:42 pm

Bright Raven wrote:Here is Ebenezer's lard hogs.

I think they could handle some rough conditions.
"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." Douglas Adams