Heifers for breeding

Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed.
darcelina4
Cowhand
Cowhand

Re: Heifers for breeding

Post by darcelina4 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:48 am

Your farm is beautiful. Nice cattle. Looks like you put a lot of work into them. Your cattle are huge compared to mine. My biggest heifer is 1000 pounds at 19 months and 4 months bred. She is a beefmaster. My jerseys are 2 year olds calved in march and are still under 1000 pounds. Their half beef shorthorn heifers are huge. We sold a hereford shorthorn heifer with a 3/4 Shorthorn steer in July as she was only 800 pounds at 28 months with a 350 pound 4 month old calf. We want to raise bigger cattle but not huge. A 1200 pound cow would be about right. Do you have calving issues using the blonds and the double muscling breeds?

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:45 pm

darcelina4 wrote:Your farm is beautiful. Nice cattle. Looks like you put a lot of work into them. Your cattle are huge compared to mine. My biggest heifer is 1000 pounds at 19 months and 4 months bred. She is a beefmaster. My jerseys are 2 year olds calved in march and are still under 1000 pounds. Their half beef shorthorn heifers are huge. We sold a hereford shorthorn heifer with a 3/4 Shorthorn steer in July as she was only 800 pounds at 28 months with a 350 pound 4 month old calf. We want to raise bigger cattle but not huge. A 1200 pound cow would be about right. Do you have calving issues using the blonds and the double muscling breeds?

Thank you. Personally for us bigger cows are working better than smaller. Mostly due to calving ease. They usually have abit bigger calves than smaller ones, but you have less worry with them calving. Especially when we buy a new bull and we have no info about him...
We have used Blonde for one cow many years ago. Calved no problem, but she was one, which could calve a baby elephant... Usually, we don't have much trouble. Been using Limousine for several years and there were a couple calvings which needed some assistance, but our birth weights are naturally bigger and it usually were heifers having harder time. For example, this year had to assist one cow, which was 10yo, 1330lbs and the calf was easily 110lbs, one pretty small double muscled heifer and one heifer, which was aborting twins.
Have used Belgian blue, Charolais in the past. Didn't have much trouble with those too. Just needs to choose a cow which will be able to handle such calf. No c-sections yet. I've been having some work to do to find info about all bulls we use now for AI and choose cows for each of them.
You don't necessary need a double muscled breed to have problems. We had trouble calving with angus calf from angusx heifer(119lbs) and neighbour had 173.8lbs angusx calf got out by c-section...

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:57 am

Winter is coming and heifers got abit fatter and spending extra minutes with them seems to pay off. They all are very nice tame girls. Soon they'll be back home for the winter. Two heifers with longest gestation already shows some change in udder.
[youtube]https://youtu.be/M6xQK2DWlUY[/youtube]
Image My favorite heifer this year. Very nice looking and correct heifer.
Image Heifer's dam is one of the best looking cows too. She's due in January with Piedmontese calf. Will be a very impressive calf. She is sired by homebred AngusxCharx bull.
Image Another two heifers I like alot.
Image The biggest heifers from the group.
Image This one is for culling. Not a bad looking, but just too small.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:38 am

We're back home for the winter. Moved all cattle home this weekend. Got abit of snow and temperature is hardly ever over 0C, weather forecast shows -12-16C for the next weekend.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:28 am

Heifers are spending winter quite well. Still gets abit of meal once a day. Most are showing abit of udder already. 1 more has been preg checked yesterday just in case if she had a silent heat. She's due in May thankfully. For mes this group of heifers is one of the best now. All look really great, so can't await for their calves in spring.
Image Heifer I like a lot. A true tank, but not very big.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:57 am

Forgot one of the best shots! :)
When you try to take a shot of an udder and later while looking at the photos you notice that somebody has been watching you!

farmerjan
GURU
GURU

Post by farmerjan » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:18 am

Absolutely love the way your heifers are so quiet and tame out in the big pastures. They aren't running up looking for a handout or a feed bucket, yet seem to think that they each need to "stop by" and get a little rub from you. They are very nice animals.
Happy New Year to you. Looking forward to seeing all the new AI calves.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:50 am

farmerjan wrote:Absolutely love the way your heifers are so quiet and tame out in the big pastures. They aren't running up looking for a handout or a feed bucket, yet seem to think that they each need to "stop by" and get a little rub from you. They are very nice animals.
Happy New Year to you. Looking forward to seeing all the new AI calves.

Happy New Year to you too! The video was taken after the have finished their breakfast. Trying to have them all as quiet as possible for us. Almost always such heifers don't mind us at all with their newborn calf, or rather choose move with the calf away than charge. And some let us milk them after calving, at least for that day.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:19 am

When you're happy that everything goes pretty well unexpected happens... Last Sunday heifers gone "mad" and it was an utter chaos. The whole group was chasing one heifer and pushing her out from the pen for some time, fighting with each other. Considering that they always are very quiet, it was a very huge stress for most. I was wondering if there won't be any consequences. Yeah, when I came home on Friday saw that one heifer suddenly has a swollen udder and milk was leaking. Yesterday clearly saw that she has some bloody discharge. Had her checked by the vet and, as expected, she has aborted her calf. Uterus was already closing up and nothing attached to the caruncles, so she has cleaned up properly already. Such a pity as it was an AI calf, Piedmontesex. She was due at the end of May. Going to give her some time to heal and then will AI again. She's 22months old, so she still will calve before she turns 3years old.
All other heifers are doing okay, some are already less than 1.5month away from calving.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am

Her hormonial change may have been what triggered the chaos.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:02 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:48 am
Her hormonial change may have been what triggered the chaos.
She wasn't the one being chased. At least two heifers were "attacked" by the herdmates and both are highest ranking and closest to calving. Haven't seen the whole event from the start so can't know what has triggered them. But after we've calmed down them abit and were able to fix the fence, I had to spent some time with them as at at least two heifers wanted to fight with each other again. All were sweaty and breathing heavily. My guess would be that some lower ranking heifer decided to take over the higher rank and then all joined in and it turned into a chaos. The one which has aborted is the youngest one. I always kept a close eye on this group's udders development and this girl was just starting to show a slightly longer teats but no swelling. She was rather slow in development. It has changed by 180degrees in barely 5 days after their little "event". It was way too sudden for me to believe that it wasn't related.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:42 am

Finally getting close to the calving. Would say the first calf should arrive in two weeks time. Today have let them out from their winter pasture to have a nice dry place for calving. It was all mud now.
Some of the girls:
Image I believe, this one will be the first to calve. In calf with red angus, due date is 4th of April, but she should calve in March.

Jeanne - Simme Valley
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Jeanne - Simme Valley » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm

they are some big "young" girls.
Simme Valley of New York - http://www.SimmeValley.com
"We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give."

Redgully
Rancher
Rancher

Post by Redgully » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Getting to the exciting end. I had a red angus calf a couple of weeks ago out of a red poll heifer and it came in at 40kg or 88pound. Thought it may have been a bit smaller. But he was born very easily.

lithuanian farmer
GURU
GURU

Post by lithuanian farmer » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:03 am

Jeanne - Simme Valley wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:29 pm
they are some big "young" girls.
The eldest ones are January born, the youngest- April. Really happy about their size. Not smaller than elder heifers were at the calving time. Actually, a couple maybe are bigger.